Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuilt motor installed, now rough start

Ok guys I installed a rebuilt engine and when I go to fire it it wont start. But if I hold the gas down it will start and run like crap and then die... Blueish smoke and bad smell. No codes.. I briefly had crank angle code but it went away after some fooling around. Any ideas? Everything is hooked up properly except some random black wire coming from the harness.. I grounded to chassis. No codes.. Again if I give gas I get a start but runs rough and dies

Did you do the work yourself? If you didn't i would definitely check the timing, and the distributor for correct advancement. Even if you did, its really easy to make a mistake with the timing... it can be a real pain. Also make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. So that black wire, you did ground it? I cant say what it is without a picture, but you could check your manual's wiring diagram and try to figure it out that way. Sounds like grounding it is the thing to do though. I would defiantly make sure your timing/advance is correct first, but then i guess its just about going through your essentials, Air, Fuel, Spark. 

What exccactly do you mean by "rebuilt"

Did they just reseal the heads?  Or was it actually rebuilt with new rings, bearings, valve guides, etc.......?

And is the air intake boot COMPLETELY installed......it won't run proper without the air boot pulling through the MAF.

Random black wire come from wiring near coil?  if so then yes it get's grounded to the engine.

• Like 1

I can get it to start but I have to hold down on the gas and it will run like crap and smoke and then die out.. I did the work myself I did HG's, seals heads were reworked and all.. Im 100% positive that I did everything correctly.. Both cams 180 from eachother and ditsy is in at the correct location. I cant figure this out its driving me nuts.. I did take the TPS off during rebuild but I marked its location when putting it back. No vac leaks that I can find, im assuming temp sensor is working

I have done everything that I can think of. Im about ready to sell it and take a major loss. Please more replies I need any and all suggestions!!

Don't give up. Walk away for a few days and let your head clear. Logically, if you "did everything right" it would be running, yes? Not pointing fingers so don't get offended. When you go that far into the engine, expect something to be missed. As long as it wasn't the head bolt procedure and cam towers, it is probably easily correctable. But at this point you are just frustrated and logic won't penetrate that.

• Like 1

Well guys, just to update you on the progress.. Wet plugs, slight loss of coolant and white oil.. Guess my headgaskets didnt seal. I had a very bad feeling about using the same bolts and blah blah but something went wrong somewhere. Maybe that fix a leak stuff will seal it?? If not putting old motor with just New seals. Now im off to punt newborn babies into the forest

I used the Haynes manual for the torque sequence.. Did it exact, even numbered each bolt before starting.. Ill have to check the soft plugs but I had this motor out and focused as much as possible during head install so I cant see soft plugs slipping by me. They were resurfaced but I never checked the straightness myself