Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a heads-up, user SkankinPickle has swindled me out of a purchased part.

I have been looking for an eighties EA81 4WD front hub for sometime, I got in touch with SkankinPicklehttp://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/user/33-skankinpickle/ after he got back to me about my WTB post.

Took awhile to get confirmation pics of the part, once that was received, I agreed to him sending a PayPal invoice (that whole route, the taxed transac).

I paid it, and unsurprisingly, he didn't provide a tracking number. He was getting to it with convincing reasoning, but days turned to weeks.

In total, it's been just shy of a month, filed a dispute earlier on.

The turning point was him adopting an out of state phone number, ehem "moving out of state" and leaving the package to be shipped by someone else. Riiight... TextPlus confirms him as a user of their service.

Now it's escalated to a claim, and I expect PayPal to reverse my funds.

However, I have heard otherwise from other unfortunate members.

A lesson to all out there making similar deals with board members, use a credit card instead of your PayPal balance.

If anything happens, your Credit Card Provider will cover you.

I realized my mistake, and wish I had exercised some foresight.

If anyone has this part, please help out another board member.

Winter is coming! The Subie is getting neglected due to the stripped hub splines.

I have a 1987 Subaru Standard Hatch. The BRAT hubs, among other models, are compatible.

Here's pictures of what I need! http://imgur.com/3C7Zf55,XOYYODJ,3nkbcum,16dLiN7,GkxnXP0,KexugeQ,B24RMmM,eft53TW,gLq6EK5,jmSAaqd

I have dealt with him personally and recently, he's not a bad guy. But has had a crazy past few months dealing with moving, finding storage for his plethora of cars & parts, losing his job etc. I have a pair of ea81 hubs, pm & we'll figure something out.

• Like 1

I have dealt with him personally and recently, he's not a bad guy. But has had a crazy past few months dealing with moving, finding storage for his plethora of cars & parts, losing his job etc. I have a pair of ea81 hubs, pm & we'll figure something out.

I agree, and he had told me of some of his history.

I feel like he might have asked too little and now can't ship it out.. "swindle" is a strong word, but I did want to get the message out.

Oh and hubs! I'm always ready, PM when it's convenient for you.

Thanks Skylar

I put ea82 hubs on my wagon and they are beefier and a direct swap. I would drill those comfortably where on the ea81's... I'm hesitant.  fyi   Good luck to you!

They bolt on but  the depth of the splined section is wrong.

EA82 hubs will bolt onto EA81 knuckles........ but the cotter pin is in the wrong spot, too far up the shaft so won't really lock the castle.....not without an extra washer. and your brake rotors ride too close to one side of the cage......will start rubbing when the brakes get half worn.....(unless you fully swap the whole EA82 knuckle and brake calipers)

EA81 hubs will bolt to an EA82 but the castle nut will not go on far enough to reach cotter pin hole

Snatched, I

ve got some hubs too if you need them.

• Like 1

As far as I know, no one has ever had any issues getting parts from skank.

Waiting a month is not uncommon to get your parts.

I suggest giving it another 2 weeks, then if you dont get your parts something will be done.

I am waiting on a crank pulley from him. Paid him a month ago tomorrow.

I was able to find another so not a urgent issue now, I would like to have the other one that I paid for though too.

Last time he was active on here was the 8th of August. So I would tend to believe that the past weeks/months have been $£¥#{% up.

Edited by Dinky26

I am waiting on a crank pulley from him. Paid him a month ago tomorrow.

I was able to find another so not a urgent issue now, I would like to have the other one that I paid for though too.

Last time he was active on here was the 8th of August. So I would tend to believe that the past weeks/months have been $£¥#{% up.

I understand us board members can take awhile to get to shipping. Its a pain, and it can be pricey.

However, I do a lot of online bizz, and I just can't assume he's blowing me off like that til he can ship it out.

Then again, I took a look and saw he's quite an active member. Now a few of you are backing him.

Still... PayPal claim is not coming down, I have to cover myself.

Oh and Dinky, I certainly did notice he was last on the 8th. He hopped on to reply, and hasn't since.

What really throws a wrench into things, is that it's not my cash. I am buying a part for "my car", but I sold it a buddy of mine. Based on his collection of cars, and a small shop to boot, he'll do even better than me!

For some reason, he couldn't track a hub down though.

Auto-parts.com seems to have a few, but I'd much rather buy one off of someone from the board.

Thanks for all the help! I'll be back on tomorrow

Edited by SnatchedHatch

EA82 hubs will bolt onto EA81 knuckles........ but the cotter pin is in the wrong spot, too far up the shaft so won't really lock the castle.....not without an extra washer. and your brake rotors ride too close to one side of the cage......will start rubbing when the brakes get half worn.....(unless you fully swap the whole EA82 knuckle and brake calipers)

EA81 hubs will bolt to an EA82 but the castle nut will not go on far enough to reach cotter pin hole

Snatched, I

Super thorough advice as always dude!! Couldn't have asked for a better run-down of that approach.

I couldn't help but think a little drill work would get those EA81 hubs mated with an EA82 set-up.. If there's enough metal, it's not like it would be getting any serious force on that hole.. :drunk:    

Skylar said he has a hub, I'm willing to pull the trigger in the next few days. I'll.. pm both of you tomorrow

Snatched, I

Thats strange, I've been running ea82 hubs on my brat for a few years now with no problem. I think I pulled them off an 87'. The pin lines up, my brakes seem fine. I check to see if there is any funny wear but I've been driving on them for two years.

Yes, I most generally prefer to give people the benefit of doubt most of the time. When they say they're going to do something they didn't do the first, into second much less third time I tend to lose my patience. Especially if that item is keeping me off the road. I do however understand things happen, & in my experiences when it rains it POURS & catching a break seems nearly impossible.

So I certainly do hope that everything is going to come together for Skankin in the near future.

I totally understand you have to cover yourself Snatched, can't say I wouldn't do the same in your situation.  My situation is a bit different, I am really in no urgent need now, fortunately since I was able to find another pulley, otherwise had I not found one I would probably be singing a different tune.

It is a real pain to find parts for these cars these days, especially if there aren't any JYs close that have cars of the like.

Yes shipping is also a pain and end pricey.   As for the $$ end of it I look at it like, I personally don't have another choice if it's the only one available at the time I'm hoping that whom ever has the part is going to be reasonable on shipping & not shoot themselves in the pocket also.    For these are the ideals that I go by when I am shipping something out.     I would have to say that everything I have acquired through this board has been reasonable in all aspects even the item I have yet to receive was reasonably priced with shipping.

Most of us here have other aspects to our lives aside from Subaru's and their issues, so I totally understand when this board and aspects that come with it have to take a back seat, largely cause I've been there and it totally sucks when that happens.

In the end we all have to do what we need to do.  

I understand us board members can take awhile to get to shipping. Its a pain, and it can be pricey.

However, I do a lot of online bizz, and I just can't assume he's blowing me off like that til he can ship it out.

Then again, I took a look and saw he's quite an active member. Now a few of you are backing him.

Still... PayPal claim is not coming down, I have to cover myself

• Like 1

Just got word from Skankin,

"Hey, my sincerest apologies for not getting this out to you way back last month. I was painting a house at the end of july and the owners asked me to work for them in Dutch Harbor, AK. I only had two days to prepare, and had to throw most of my stuff away. I think I may have accidently scrapped the single groove pully.  I got it from an early 1980 Automatic 2nd-gen EA-81. So I know it would fit a 1.8L.  I want to say that it was the same as the EA-71 front pulley, but I was never able to compare the two. You could find out using a 1980 parts book or calling the dealer and asking them to look it up on the computer for you (they should still have access to the old parts catalog).  As for payment, I will refund you the money as soon as possible. Totally my bad man. But on the brighter side, THERE ARE HELLA SUBARUS HERE!

-Justin

Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, however at least I'll get my money back at some point.  I am still thinking I would rather like to have the single groove pulley :( ,  So if any one has one laying around give me a PM I'll buy it. Thanks

Also just received word:

"

Sent Today, 02:55 AM

Sam, Any luck receiving your stuff? I left it with my parents
to ship before I left three weeks ago. I moved to Dutch Harbor, Alaska
with the owners of the house I was painting...

-Jus..."

Yet he pays NO mention of my repeatedly ignored requests for tracking information.

At this point in time, PayPal has awarded me my funds back from Skank.

Heed our warning, two (3? Subarubrat) no shows with separate reasoning for each?

Edited by SnatchedHatch

Except that he's *not* in Alaska.

Such a shoddy story, I'm just saying its highly unlikely.

Then there's the fact that he texted me from an Alaska number, so I rightly did the same back :D

In the process of using such an app, it notified me the user I was messaging was already using the same application!

Not surprising, since it was one of the top Android phantom apps.

They will take care of him in Dutch Harbor if he pulls any crap up there. ALOT of crab pots on the bottom of the ocean with no buoys attached.