Ultimate Subaru Message Board

!RESCUED! 1980 Subaru Brat

Scooner

I'm sorta in the process of restoring my 78 brat,but mine is more of a "resto-mod".I'm fixing all the rust I can find but then I'm also cutting away parts of the body to make room for bigger tires,EA81 front and rear suspension,ej22 and 5 speed DR,and.....but after seeing those I'm not that saddened any more by the treatment mine is getting.My brat looked worse when I started than your parts brat.

Found multiple nice Brats ... basically sitting on the thrown I browse the Net ...  Will fly to buy for the right unit. I like your idea of keeping it stock and weber. No since messing around if the engine runs well. 

I still will probably do an 81 - 87 and do another 2.2 ... Absolutely won't 5 lug it , but may lift 2-3 inch and do the 15 wheels like yours. Will need help. Will know in a couple weeks if I'm staying in the mansion for a few more years... If so, will make a goal to get the $2500 to go get a rust free unit. Probably will be starting in a few months at latest, and we need to get 4 wheeling with these babies. 

I want to use the dual range as intended without the ration problems I have with the 5 lug XT6 convert :/

talk soon .. 

Thanks turbo, that's about what I figured. In this case it's not for sale and will be mounted on the front of my brat, my wife says I should leave the surface rust on it and the rollbar to give it a cool aged rat rod kind of look. I don't know though.

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice photography and the subject matter is awesome. Rough job you got there bud. The one with the tractor gets my vote as most of these Brats have lived the farm life at one time or the other. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! For some reason people just knew that we would want these babies at some point, like a funky time capsule...

Hope ours never go the farm again...

Yeah, the guy who owns the brat in the field doesn't want to sell anything at all. He had another brat in a lean to barn, 3 gen 2 wagons and a parts wagon. Soon after I took these pictures all of his soobies were soon moved out of view from the road haha.

347afea.jpg

My headlights wouldn't turn on, the blinkers wouldn't work and the marker lights were intermittent. I took all of the fuses out and used a rubrite file to clean the contacts where the fuses fit into and fixed all of those problems.

Now if I could just swap trannys with the parts car then I'd be set.

hey Wyorado,

Let me know if you need help with the tranny. If you tear down one of your gl's save me the cross member and the power assisted rack and pinon.

The brat will need it when i lift it and put the ej22 in it. 

There is a cyclops available if you need one. Still need the door if you get out that way. Was in Golden today.. 

• 1 month later...

a08c46.jpg

Starting to clean it up a bit, don't know if I should bring this tranny to a tranny shop and have them go through it and see if it's repairable or if it is badly damaged or just take the parts Brat tranny out and put it in?

• Like 1