Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to me 99 Outback with a 2.2 install

I just purchased a 99 Outback that had recently had a 2.2 ( 80,000 miles ) from an impreza installed.  So far everthing seems ok.  A little underpowerd going up hills but oh well.  My main concern is the tranny ( 130,000 on car and tranny ).  Its only been a week since owning the vehicle and my wife is the main driver but we have noticed on occasion that it has a delay going into drive, from park or reverse.  This doesn't happen all the time but is an issue.  I've read quite a bit about this issue and the seal that goes bad.  It sounds like many have had success with changing the fluid and adding Trans X.  Is this still the ideal solution?  Any other things I should know about this car or the 2.2 swap?  I like to do my own wrenching but don't have a garage so its difficult in the northern Mi. winters.  Thanks for any help/advice.

2.2 is a very good motor, non-interference. Whens the last time a tuneup has been done? Might explain why its lugging uphills. Probably time for a new PCV valve if it hasn't been done.
Lots of people have good luck with just a drain and fill, flushing is where people get iffy. I've never had to add trans x but it looks like its worked for people. But yes still an ideal solution.

2.2 with an auto is a bit of a dog on the hills but it's a worthy tradeoff for the reliability.

The usual fix for transX was most common in 2000 and 2001 autos but may well be a solution for you if it's the same cause. Check your fluid and be sure it's clean. Drain fill and see what happens. TransX is not expensive and certainly can't hurt.

2.2 with an auto is a bit of a dog on the hills but it's a worthy tradeoff for the reliability.

The usual fix for transX was most common in 2000 and 2001 autos but may well be a solution for you if it's the same cause. Check your fluid and be sure it's clean. Drain fill and see what happens. TransX is not expensive and certainly can't hurt.

The tranny delayed forward engagement primarily affects 99 and 00 models. I wrote the original post abut the merits of Trans-X, and 5 years later, it still helps my car. Best to do three drains and fills of ATF before adding 1 pint of Trans-X, as only half the ATF can be drained from the tranny at one time. Typical drain and refill is 1 gallon and 1 pint.

As mentioned, it is good to know what year car your 2.2 came from, and have a good idea when the timing belt was last changed. Otherwise, if the belt breaks on a valve interference model, the broken belt will cause broken valves.  That is a lot more repair work and cost, then simply replacing the belt.

You may also want to replace the fuel filter. I was amazed how much more power my car developed with a new fuel filter installed.

I know for sure that the '95 model 2.2 is non-interference. Wife's 98 OBW has that motor, and just last week it broke the timing belt. I had a shop replace the belt, and had no damage to the valves. If you replace the belt, it is a good time to replace the water pump, as minimal additional labor time involved.

'96 was the first year for the 2.5 (EJ25)--it was interference.

The '96 2.2 (EJ22) was not interference.

Actually it was interferance, I have one sitting in my living room. They were solid lifter interferance. It is possible different areas had different motors, like California models Edited by mikaleda

Thanks for the replys.  I will change the trans fluid and filter next chance I get.  The motor came from a 98 impreza so it would be an interferance motor.  The guy that did the swap told me the belt looked new and to wait 60k.  He would do the pump and belt at that point for $300.  Thanks again

Don't pull the pan to change the internal screen/filter.  If you have an external spin on filter, you may change it.  

+1 on not dropping the pan. There is an internal screen that never needs changing. Besides, dropping the pan will most likely cause an ATF leak. Seems impossible to bolt up the pan without causing a leak.

96 2.2 are NOT interference. They are  Single port, hydraulic rocker w/roller.

97 2.2 had the solid rocker w/ roller cam and different pistons.....those are interfernece.  remeber....some 97 models were made in 96 so late 96 date production is interference.

Original Poster - add a bottle of Trans X treatment and you're done.  Works almost every time.

Do not change the internal filter screen inside the AT pan.

Change all the timing pulleys and tensioner.  A 1998 is likely to be the new style tensioner.  Kits are like $100 - $120 on Amazon for everything.

I wouldn't wait very long, certainly not 60,000 miles - the timing pulleys are just as likely to fail as the belt.

Best to replace cam seals and reseal the oil pump while it's out.

As to the AT screens - The internal screens are pointless to replace - they're never "clogged" or needing replaced.  If they're scattered with debris you have much bigger issues than a filter.

As to 1996 EJ22's being interference - a very few have reportedly been interference.  One case swears it was the original engine, but if it hasn't been owned since new it can't be verified.  If there were interference engines in 96 they are rare, most are non-interference it seems.

Looking at part numbers on opposed forces should delineate it.

Thanks for the replys.  I will change the trans fluid and filter next chance I get.  The motor came from a 98 impreza so it would be an interferance motor.  The guy that did the swap told me the belt looked new and to wait 60k.  He would do the pump and belt at that point for $300.  Thanks again

Does the 2.2 swapped in have an EGR valve or is your check engine light perpetually on?

Just curious, because if no CEL and no EGR, would like to know how this was achieved.

Does the 2.2 swapped in have an EGR valve or is your check engine light perpetually on?

Just curious, because if no CEL and no EGR, would like to know how this was achieved.

It's basically not possible with automatic transmissions is what i think the final conclusion is.

Oddly I say that and I'm nearly positive I used to have a 1998 Impreza OBS automatic without EGR - I know for a fact the engine was non-EGR as i'm running it in a current vehicle.

I swapped all electronics except the body side wiring harness to NON-EGR components and I get a check engine light:

NON EGR intake manifold, wiring, sensors

NON EGR ECU

And it still has EGR related check engine lights

I cut the EGR related wires in case they were "identifier" pins somehow - no change at all - car ran fine, but still CEL.

I am not sure.  If I get a chance I will ask the guy who did the swap.  There is no check engine light on and everything works as it should.