Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do with an old Subaru XT in good condition?

A friend of mine has offered to sell me his 1988 Subaru XT, fuel injected 5 speed, with original dealer shop manuals; it has stuff like computerized air suspension. th interior looks pretty fancy and expensive.
It was parked in a garage not being driven at all when I left this area almost 20 years ago.
Since then. it was moved outside, and is dirty, but the paint and interior looks good, no sun-bake damage that I saw. It has squirrel nests in the engine compartment and possibly back in the dash, and the shocks have to be replaced, possibly with normal shocks instead of the stock computerized ones.

He said that if I give him $1,000 by July 4th it is mine. However, it is likely that I may not be ale to do it, just too much going out and not enough money coming in in that time.

My only problem aside from that is that in as good a condition as it is in, and as rare and cool as it is, I would want to have proper maintenance and mechanics done, which would cost me a lot more than my regular Subaru I drive now. I migt rather spend my money when I can fixing up the one I have.

Not sure. - So aside from the vulgarity of whatever the bluebook value is, how rare and cool are these XTs anyways? Would anyone even know what it was if they were not a Subaru freak?
How is an XT if you drove it like you stole it? Can you replace the original computerized suspension with normal struts and such? Am I getting into something that is either too involved or not worth too much effort and money? What is this car really worth among those here who are Subaru freaks?

I would appreciate whatever practical info, interesting factoids, or advice you can give.

Thanks.

Is it a turbo, or an xt6? That will determinr the kind of maintenance it'll need. For $1000 you should be able to pick up one thats slightly rough, but running and driving. They are very good cars, and the powertrain is straight forward subaru stuff. Its an ea82 in an armani suit...well maybe not armani lol

• Like 1

It is fuel injected, but not turbo, 1800 engine, not an XT6 from what I can tell.

Having trouble with any parts place having replacement struts, etc, for computer/air suspension.

I would not want to go Dealer, but not sure they would have/get it either.

If it is possible, I think replacing the computer/air suspension is worthy of serious consideration.
From what I am learning, this car lacks actual serious horsepower going up a mountain grade, but with that suspension, if one were to replace the engine with something special, like a dual carb, or especially if I could pull off getting it supercharged.

That would make one hell of a city gridlock dodging rod.

• Like 1

You can do a killer swap using the 2Ltr turbo engines that every JDM importer in the US has pallets of. Coil overs and STi running gear can be swapped, it is light and with upgraded suspension, brakes, tires, and driveline you can have a real special car. I had one years ago that I swapped in an EG33 and turbos/ICs from a Legacy turbo, you could make the same power today with a USDM STi swap for allot less trouble. It is a light adaptable platform that responds well to mods ,I wish I had the time to do another, I hope you jump on it!

• Like 1

You can do a killer swap using the 2Ltr turbo engines that every JDM importer in the US has pallets of. Coil overs and STi running gear can be swapped, it is light and with upgraded suspension, brakes, tires, and driveline you can have a real special car. I had one years ago that I swapped in an EG33 and turbos/ICs from a Legacy turbo, you could make the same power today with a USDM STi swap for allot less trouble. It is a light adaptable platform that responds well to mods ,I wish I had the time to do another, I hope you jump on it!

Would that stuff bolt on/in? I don't want to get into anything that would involve welding, or cutting the chassis or anything, lol...

I would love to put a large as possible dual carb engine withsuper charger - would it nee two super-chargers if it had dual carbs?

That might be downright spooky! I personally prefer the simplicity of engines with no timing chain though.

What's the largest/most powerful Subaru engine that will fit in it?

What's the largest Subaru engine that does not have a timing chain?

Starting to reconsider trying harder to get it, and like the idea of computer/air suspension coupled with breezy horse-power.

Replacing the suspension with air/computer seems almost impossible

Is it 4wd? All of the na 1.8s in this country were fwd only. If you want additional power you want 4wd. They can be converted.

A lot of your questions are pretty standard and been covered a lot in this forum. Do a search for "air suspension" and "ej swap"

You can put regular gas shocks/struts in it. You should buy it. All you will have to do is replace those shocks, give it a tune up, clean it and drive it. The hardest thing to find (besides the air shocks) is the special power steering fluid they use. If you buy it and wind up not really being able to afford it you will have no problem selling it. Buy it.

• Like 1

Only turbos and XT6's have air suspension in the US.

If you were debating the $1,000 to buy it, it's likely daydreaming or silly to think about forced induction. But that's never stopped most of us !

It IS in fact select-able 4WD, not full time 4WD, is NOT an XT6, as that model has more, and a bigger engine, (This one 1800) it is NOT turbo, only fuel injected, but DOES have computer\air suspension. Could it be an odd model?

You can put regular gas shocks/struts in it. You should buy it. All you will have to do is replace those shocks, give it a tune up, clean it and drive it. The hardest thing to find (besides the air shocks) is the special power steering fluid they use. If you buy it and wind up not really being able to afford it you will have no problem selling it. Buy it.

Buying it mostly depends on money, which is more than short right now.

I DEFINITELY want the computer\air suspension no matter what. Combine that with horsepower and it becomes super special.

I may have to get standard struts, etc. at first, but only temporary.

I do intend to try to get it, but money is the issue.

I'd love to hear some war stories of what people have done with these as far as driving it goes, seems like a prime candidate for taking Lombard street in 'Frisco. Anyone have any pics of one set built up, customized, etc ???

The air suspension can only be bought from Subaru. The bags perish over time. Suggest you work out whether you can get replacements before you commit to keeping those.

Often 4 conventional struts and springs is cheaper that 1 air strut.

Seems like a good base to modify, the running gear is the worst combination available as a 4wd xt. No power and no full time 4wd.

Do as others have suggested, get an ej turbo motor with matching tranmission and rear diff. Engine is almost bolt in, but you'll need some fabrication work to make a trans crossmember and shorten the shifter linkages and tailshaft.

Do some searching on 5 stud conversion so you can use the ej style brakes.

For a monster build, find nico's sedan ri give you ideas. He went a bit overboard for some things I think, but the basics are there.

To make some money back, you could sell off the mpfi engine, wiring and ecu

I think motoring journos have found the new cars suspension not really up to expectation when doing their road tests, so just because it is air suspension worth about A$1000 a corner from what I have heard - may not be the ducks guts you might think it would be. I have owned three Subes, that were born with air suspension but replaced with normal stuff by the time I got to them.

From what i recall reading, all XTs were efi mpfi EA82, the first ones just FWD and complaints that they were too powerful and losing traction off road, next gen got the part time 4WD boxes, then next gen got the AWD boxes in 5MT and E4AT

• Like 1

I had an 88 xt, 5 spd, push button 4wd, non-turbo, that had factory air suspension. It was easy enough to convert to standard suspension. It never had any trouble running highway speeds, or jaunting up the mountain roads around here.

• Like 1

If I get it, air suspension will be an absolute priority, I'm wondering, guy said mice ate something on the struts or whatever, possibly the air bag, maybe it was rot, who knows, but I'm wondering...

If it has spent probably over 25 years parked, maybe I don't need to replace the suspension, but just the air bags and a couple things, those I know are available, saw them while checking on parts.

How likely or hard is it to just repair the air suspension?

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Btw, it wasn't until recently that subie engines got timing chains. Most from 85 have timing belts.

Which are you referring to?

My Brat has the 1800 standard engine - no timing belt, no electronic ignition.

I like that, my dream is to have a powerful motor that also has neither - I know it seemingly does not make sense, but that is my dream for my Brat and for the XT if I get it.

- I know electronic ignition may be unavoidable in the XT, at best would involve extensive challenges where the wiring, etc. is concerned. Maybe I am wrong?

Edited by RAD

The air suspension can only be bought from Subaru. The bags perish over time. Suggest you work out whether you can get replacements before you commit to keeping those.

Often 4 conventional struts and springs is cheaper that 1 air strut.

Seems like a good base to modify, the running gear is the worst combination available as a 4wd xt. No power and no full time 4wd.

Do as others have suggested, get an ej turbo motor with matching tranmission and rear diff. Engine is almost bolt in, but you'll need some fabrication work to make a trans crossmember and shorten the shifter linkages and tailshaft.

Do some searching on 5 stud conversion so you can use the ej style brakes.

For a monster build, find nico's sedan ri give you ideas. He went a bit overboard for some things I think, but the basics are there.

To make some money back, you could sell off the mpfi engine, wiring and ecu

"For a monster build, find nico's sedan ri give you ideas."

- Didn't quite get that, do you have a link?