Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best place to get "kit" for 96 Impr 4EAT - Duty C and Clutch pack repl?

Hi All,

I'm getting torque bind on 222k mile 96 Impreza Outback, and figure I need to do the Duty C and I'll do clutch pack while I'm in there. I just want to get opinions about the best place these days to ask "Here's the VIN - please help me order the parts I should have for this job.". I see a nasioc thread that says he went with subarupartsforyou.com, so maybe that's fine. Of course I'd like to go with a place that has reasonable pricing.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Bry

Yep, go to your local dealer. If they are largish, and/or have a very good parts guy, they'll probably know exactly what you need, as there's a decent list of gaskets and such that are typically needed.

Have them print out an estimate with part numbers and punch them in online. Unless they're EXTREMELY helpful, I wouldn't pay more than MSRP...

Duty C, clutch pack, gasket. Ask for those items and they should be able to give you all the supporting parts.

If it just started and you're AT light isn't flashing 16 times at start up often times changing the fluid and making sure your tires all match properly may alleviate the torque bind. Start there.

just a thought but, in Colorado, I'd expect you could find a used trans with maybe half those miles.

And as a first step You could just swap the entire rear extension housing which doesn't require dripping the trans and have the rest of the transmission just in case for the future.

Also if the FWD fuse works you could just install a switch to choose between FWD and "locked" 4WD with the flick of a switch. I install the switch in my 4EATs anyway so I can control when it's locked. A couple dollars for a DPDT switch and simple wiring and you're done and can lock that mojo in the snow.

• Like 1