Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have had this theory for several years, but have never tried it. Wondering if anyone here has ever tried just, filling the transmission slam-full with ATF. Then, even though the pump isn't running, everything still has plenty of oil, right? I have successfully towed (towbar) autos with the engine idling. But looking to snag me a parts car which may or may not run. And yes, I need the trans.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've done the dolly thing too. But the rental place isn't close to me, it's usually a hassle; they don't have it available when I want it, or it's NOT THERE when I have it reserved. And it costs over 60 bucks when I own a really nice towbar.

the dipstick level is already a coupla inches higher on a sitting trans vs an idling trans so, I'm not convinced any more fluid is gonna go where it needs to go...?

aren't wet clutch plates jammed into each other on pre 05 autos if the trans isn't running? probably still need to unhook the driveshaft but, I'm not sure.

but I'm willing to learn if this is really a good approach

interesting

I have had this theory for several years, but have never tried it. Wondering if anyone here has ever tried just, filling the transmission slam-full with ATF. Then, even though the pump isn't running, everything still has plenty of oil, right? I have successfully towed (towbar) autos with the engine idling. But looking to snag me a parts car which may or may not run. And yes, I need the trans.  :rolleyes:

Won't work unless you inject the fluid from the top of the transmission. 

But sometimes you have to think outside of the box. 

the dipstick level is already a coupla inches higher on a sitting trans vs an idling trans so, I'm not convinced any more fluid is gonna go where it needs to go...?

aren't wet clutch plates jammed into each other on pre 05 autos if the trans isn't running? probably still need to unhook the driveshaft but, I'm not sure.

but I'm willing to learn if this is really a good approach

interesting

No pressure holds them together, but yeah, they are still touching.

If you went slow enough I bet you could drag it 1000 miles- I wonder how slow you'd need to go?