Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my pastor recieved a 1991 legacy with a 2.2 engine in it. it won't start without a squirt of gas then it dies,i haven't tried it yet myself but was told it has a new pump in it. not sure of the filter or the relay or fuse. i am going to look at it tomarrow  as soon as i round up a battery. i just need more info to know where to look. it has been a while since i worked on a subaru. i think the fuel pump relay is round but i am not sure. as soon as i get a wiring diagram it will be a lot easier.

went and checked the car this morning. put a battery in and it cranks but no spark and no fuel. tested the ign coil and no power,checked the ign fuse its ok,checked the  computer fuse it's ok while i was at it i checked all the fuses they all checked out. could it be the computer,doesn't that run everything? he is going to get a battery and a haynes  manual today so i am not whistling in the dark. more to come later.

found an old chiltons manual,not the best but better than nothing. still no power to ignition,and no power to the pump. i haven't found the relay yet not sure if the computer is getting power or ground. i will check that tomarrow. i downloaded the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting charts from the shop manual. do these computers go bad. it's late or early depending on how you look at it ,i will update everyone tomarrow.

Edited by damnsubaru

found an old chiltons manual,not the best but better than nothing. still no power to ignition,and no power to the pump. i haven't found the relay yet not sure if the computer is getting power or ground. i will check that tomarrow. i downloaded the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting charts from the shop manual. do these computers go bad. it's late or early depending on how you look at it ,i will update everyone tomarrow.

If the "Check Engine" light illuminates at Key on, then the computer has power and ground.

i listened for the pump. while i was under the dash i found a burned wire not sure what it goes to but it is red so i clipped it on both sides of the connector  stripped the wires back and twisted them together not sure why it was burnt or what it went to. now i have power to the coils,the igniter,and the fuel pump for a few seconds but still no gas,and still no spark,so i took the brain box out and it smelled like it had gotten hot so he is going to have it tested if he can. then to pull and save for a used one before buying a rebuilt or new one. i will take pictures tonight when i go back.

When you got power to the pump again did you prime the lines by turning the key to turn the pump on a few times or just once? It takes 4 or five times to prime the line. You also said there were no sparks so maybe it's an issue with that.Also I hope you're recovering just fine.