Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i have a 05 outback w/automatic and i had cv boot torn on left side and was beginning to vibrate, ordered axle from parts store and installed only to find it was 1 1/2 shorter than original, i didn't measure in my rush to install, so it came out 5 miles later, towed home,removed axle and checked , returned it to store(btw it was new) and got the reman, it was correct length. reinstalled and drove great for 1 day and began to vibrate, took it to local shop for diag, and they said they only install heavy duty axles as the lighter ones vibrate, so out with the reman and down to the parts store and ordered hd axle, 1st one was to short again, 2nd one was correct so i installed it and now it feels like driving a milkshake machine, any help would be great. love this car but cant let wife drive it like this.

No offense, but after that I'd just bite the wallet and get one from the dealer.

I'm not clear what milkshake machine would do so can't comment on the symptoms (actually I used to make them w/one, but doesn't compute),.

What did the shop advise besides getting a HD axle?

GL,

TD

you can search but, axles are a HUGE problem for people, the further you deviate from OEM/new, the more questionable/risky.

worst is typical parts store rebuilds. new aftermarket is a coin toss  (at present, good luck from new FEQ brand on my WRX)

MANY people do great with used OEM from junkyards - might be a good idea to reboot the inner joint - about $20 r so and some time.

1. Buy a used OEM Subaru axle for $25.

Www.car-part.com

2. Reboot it before installing

They last the life of the vehicle.

should have rebooted the original axle before it started vibrating. But even rebooted the vibrations would have went away (ive done it before) and probably lasted the life of the vehicles, certainly a higher rate than aftermarket trash.

thanks for the input drove it today and its horrible, never even thought about a reboot although the vibration was there before i began changing them, think ill call the local junk yard and try to find a used one or two and try that, at this point its worth a shot.