Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blowing cv axles left and right

In my 82 Brat i have gone through 7 cv axles since nov. it's pissing me off good.

What would make them keep going out. Their new and napa's so what could it be.

I did change the tranny out of an 80 wagon into my 82 Brat. I was thinking the gearing from the 80 to the 82 could be screwing everything and making the whole deal bind. I'm gonna put the rear end from the 80 in it too and see if that'll help.

Jeff

put in some new tranny mounts. I had a similar issue with my 82 Brat. mounts were intact, but really spongy, and starting to collapse....

an '80 4wd tranny would have been a single range, but still the proper final gear ratio, so you should be okay with that....

Just look at the ratio for the rear end in the '80 wagon and compare to the ratio in the '82 brat. If they are the same ratio then the tranny is fine and that's not your problem but if they are different then you gotta swap the rear diffs out as well. Prolly should have done this at tranny swap time :)

Good luck!

What do you mean how many gears do I have?

Jeff

What I was getting at was, I don't believe the 4speed ever came with a 3.7 ratio so if you had 4 gears, it would be a 3.9. Then you would only have to know what the rear diff was to figure out if you had a 3.7 - 3.9 problem.

That's all

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Oh ok. The only reason I bring that gearing deal up is because I have heard the '82s have a different gearing. But i'm not 100% sure. W/ my old tranny at 70mph I would turn 4050k rpms with 185/80/13 tires. While my buddy w/ an 85 hatch turned 3000 rpm with 175/70/13. I even had bigger tire which would have lowerd my rpm. I think that makes since.

Jeff