Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Video! EA81 4wd transmission input shaft, can I replace oil seal?

The input shaft holder seems to be on there pretty well, I cannot pry it off with a screwdriver.  

Can I replace the oil seal for the transmission from here?

edit: the video may be upside down.

Edited by mkoch

Aha, thank you Gloyale.  

Another question, how likely is a leak from this location?  Where would it leak from?  Would it be the place where the shaft comes from the input shaft holder, or from the input shaft holder/ transmission casing gasket (held by three bolts)?

likely to be the shaft seal.  The holder is sealed int eh case halves by a large O-ring that probably isn't the leaker unless it's been disturbed before.

Are you sure that the oil is gear oil?  not engine oil?  EA81 rear mains, and the O-ring behind the crank, can make quite a mess.

• Like 1

It is hard to say whether the oil is gear oil or engine oil.

Both the gear and engine oil are translucent , similar to honey, so no clue there. The oil and the bell housing next with dirt and became black.

The oil was all over, except for the forward most part of the flywheel, indicating that maybe it was the orange flat o ring behind the crank which failed.

The oil was not so viscous, indicating was engine oil, but there was a lot of it to the rear near the transmission, indicating it was was gear oil. It's hard to know what to think about this.

I do know that pulling the transmission and splitting the case would be a lot of work, so I'm trying to find a way around that!