Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Injection Expert Guru's, Fixed It!

Ohkay, I've been working on getting the Brat ready for the run up to Hood River, and in the process I hooked up an 02, (8mpg sucks). Ohkay, this doesn't change my mileage any, so I look a little deeper, I'm getting a code 23, somthing wrong with the MAF. Hmm, take a look, find out one of the wires has come out of the connector. Ohkay, no prob, fix the connector, hook it back up, now the trouble starts. Won't start, have fuel, have fire, but won't start. Getting code 21 now, ECT, change that out with a new one. Still have fire, still have fuel, turn the computer off, then back on, it fires and runs for about 5 seconds, then dies, and won't restart till you reset the computer. No codes anymore, flashes a steady 1 (one short, long pause, one short, long pause....) If I unhook the TPS, it will fire over every time, but only run for a couple seconds, same with unhooking the IAC. Unhook both, won't start at all.

What I've found out is that I've been running in limp home mode for the last year and half, as I never noticed the break in the wire on the MAF, as it was under the boot on the connector. I unhook my MAF now, putting it back into LHM, and it runs just like it did. But hook everything back up, and nothing. This has really got me bewildered, I've gone through everything I can think of. I've checked all power, all grounds, all sensors wires, all output wires, everything is in good condition. Has anyone else run into this problem before? Specially you XT-6 guys, if so, whot was your fix? My buddy keeps saying that it's the computer, but I don't want to believe it, as it runs ohkay in LHM, that and it took me forever to track down this computer, getting another one would be hell.

man... i've been runin witout an o2 and gettin 25 mpg, so you must have had a big problem for a while. my flapper system will run and drive without a maf.

im thinkin maybe the tps, if its set wrong, or broken.

mine did wierd stuff kinda like that when a wire broke inside the disty.

what kind of maf you got?

It's a hot wire. ER27's only came with the hot wire post 87 style MPFI.

BooYAH!!! Oh man, the power, the pure, unadulterated POWER!! I thought that it had gobs of power before, when it wasn't running right. Just for $h*ts and giggle I took her to work, and threw her on the scope, I had over 6000ppm HC's at an idle, and it dropped to about 4000 at 2K rpms, sucky. I worked on her, and found the problem, drum roll please, GROUNDS. Check you grounds everyone, I had two that had come unsoldered somehow, fixed em up, plugged in the MAF, fired right up. I'm now getting about 750ppm HC's at idle and less than 150ppm at 2K rpms!! I also have full throttle, no more sluggishness, burping, cutting out, back fireing, she runs like a dream!!! On the way home just now, I was rolling at about 30mph, in second gear, about 20% throttle, I floored it, the back tires broke free and the rear end kicked sideways!!!! Still need a new TPS, it's got a couple bad spots, and sometime when coasting to a stop it will stall, but hey, it's running right!!!! So remember kiddies, CHECK. . . YOUR. . . GROUNDS!!!

It's a hot wire. ER27's only came with the hot wire post 87 style MPFI.

BooYAH!!! Oh man, the power, the pure, unadulterated POWER!! I thought that it had gobs of power before, when it wasn't running right. Just for $h*ts and giggle I took her to work, and threw her on the scope, I had over 6000ppm HC's at an idle, and it dropped to about 4000 at 2K rpms, sucky. I worked on her, and found the problem, drum roll please, GROUNDS. Check you grounds everyone, I had two that had come unsoldered somehow, fixed em up, plugged in the MAF, fired right up. I'm now getting about 750ppm HC's at idle and less than 150ppm at 2K rpms!! I also have full throttle, no more sluggishness, burping, cutting out, back fireing, she runs like a dream!!! On the way home just now, I was rolling at about 30mph, in second gear, about 20% throttle, I floored it, the back tires broke free and the rear end kicked sideways!!!! Still need a new TPS, it's got a couple bad spots, and sometime when coasting to a stop it will stall, but hey, it's running right!!!! So remember kiddies, CHECK. . . YOUR. . . GROUNDS!!!

Glad to hear you found the issue.

BTW WTH are PPM HC ? :)

Ya, we've got some emissions here, but my Brat, being an 82 is outside the 20 year limit, I just tested it because we have the machine at work, and I was curious as to how it was looking. Whats kewl is that I CAN have it smogged if they change the year limits and stuff in my area, cause it will pass with flying colors.