Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Injection Expert Guru's, Fixed It!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,282 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:03 AM

Ohkay, I've been working on getting the Brat ready for the run up to Hood River, and in the process I hooked up an 02, (8mpg sucks). Ohkay, this doesn't change my mileage any, so I look a little deeper, I'm getting a code 23, somthing wrong with the MAF. Hmm, take a look, find out one of the wires has come out of the connector. Ohkay, no prob, fix the connector, hook it back up, now the trouble starts. Won't start, have fuel, have fire, but won't start. Getting code 21 now, ECT, change that out with a new one. Still have fire, still have fuel, turn the computer off, then back on, it fires and runs for about 5 seconds, then dies, and won't restart till you reset the computer. No codes anymore, flashes a steady 1 (one short, long pause, one short, long pause....) If I unhook the TPS, it will fire over every time, but only run for a couple seconds, same with unhooking the IAC. Unhook both, won't start at all.
What I've found out is that I've been running in limp home mode for the last year and half, as I never noticed the break in the wire on the MAF, as it was under the boot on the connector. I unhook my MAF now, putting it back into LHM, and it runs just like it did. But hook everything back up, and nothing. This has really got me bewildered, I've gone through everything I can think of. I've checked all power, all grounds, all sensors wires, all output wires, everything is in good condition. Has anyone else run into this problem before? Specially you XT-6 guys, if so, whot was your fix? My buddy keeps saying that it's the computer, but I don't want to believe it, as it runs ohkay in LHM, that and it took me forever to track down this computer, getting another one would be hell.

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:37 AM

Thats an odd one.

I may know where to get you another computer if you need one though

#3 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:49 AM

was the 5 volt referance voltage ok? if the maf is shorting it out it wold cause all kinds of trouble.
it goes to the TPS, Coolant temp, MAF, and mabey more.

that would be my first check.

#4 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:09 AM

man... i've been runin witout an o2 and gettin 25 mpg, so you must have had a big problem for a while. my flapper system will run and drive without a maf.

im thinkin maybe the tps, if its set wrong, or broken.

mine did wierd stuff kinda like that when a wire broke inside the disty.

what kind of maf you got?

#5 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

• Members
  • 3,282 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:12 PM

It's a hot wire. ER27's only came with the hot wire post 87 style MPFI.

BooYAH!!! Oh man, the power, the pure, unadulterated POWER!! I thought that it had gobs of power before, when it wasn't running right. Just for $h*ts and giggle I took her to work, and threw her on the scope, I had over 6000ppm HC's at an idle, and it dropped to about 4000 at 2K rpms, sucky. I worked on her, and found the problem, drum roll please, GROUNDS. Check you grounds everyone, I had two that had come unsoldered somehow, fixed em up, plugged in the MAF, fired right up. I'm now getting about 750ppm HC's at idle and less than 150ppm at 2K rpms!! I also have full throttle, no more sluggishness, burping, cutting out, back fireing, she runs like a dream!!! On the way home just now, I was rolling at about 30mph, in second gear, about 20% throttle, I floored it, the back tires broke free and the rear end kicked sideways!!!! Still need a new TPS, it's got a couple bad spots, and sometime when coasting to a stop it will stall, but hey, it's running right!!!! So remember kiddies, CHECK. . . YOUR. . . GROUNDS!!!

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:16 PM

It's a hot wire. ER27's only came with the hot wire post 87 style MPFI.

BooYAH!!! Oh man, the power, the pure, unadulterated POWER!! I thought that it had gobs of power before, when it wasn't running right. Just for $h*ts and giggle I took her to work, and threw her on the scope, I had over 6000ppm HC's at an idle, and it dropped to about 4000 at 2K rpms, sucky. I worked on her, and found the problem, drum roll please, GROUNDS. Check you grounds everyone, I had two that had come unsoldered somehow, fixed em up, plugged in the MAF, fired right up. I'm now getting about 750ppm HC's at idle and less than 150ppm at 2K rpms!! I also have full throttle, no more sluggishness, burping, cutting out, back fireing, she runs like a dream!!! On the way home just now, I was rolling at about 30mph, in second gear, about 20% throttle, I floored it, the back tires broke free and the rear end kicked sideways!!!! Still need a new TPS, it's got a couple bad spots, and sometime when coasting to a stop it will stall, but hey, it's running right!!!! So remember kiddies, CHECK. . . YOUR. . . GROUNDS!!!

Glad to hear you found the issue.

BTW WTH are PPM HC ? :)

#7 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,152 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:06 PM

Glad to hear you found the issue.

BTW WTH are PPM HC ? :)

emishuns??? what's that stuff? heh heh

#8 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:09 PM

emishuns??? what's that stuff? heh heh

haha I'm just wondering what those PPM HCs he was talking about were

figured id use a few acrynyms in there myself ;p

#9 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

• Members
  • 3,282 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:02 AM

Ya, we've got some emissions here, but my Brat, being an 82 is outside the 20 year limit, I just tested it because we have the machine at work, and I was curious as to how it was looking. Whats kewl is that I CAN have it smogged if they change the year limits and stuff in my area, cause it will pass with flying colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users