Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad gas problems

Well there I was trapsing along at 75 on the freeway going to my work to start working on my future bike (78 yamaha 650 special) and the engine surges and starts to die, great, i ran out of gas. Normally I can calculate how far i can go but the prices bouncing around like they have been throws me off bigtime. So I coast up to the exit at talent and realize there is only one gas station near me, Arco am/pm. That is the one gas I refuse to put in my car, Its always caused problems like pinging and detonation and I get terrible mileage.

So anyway, I get 4 bucks worth and go back to the car. After pouring it in it doesnt want to start (this has never happened before just from running out of gas), but I figure its cause im parked up an incline. So it finally starts after cranking for a minute or so (not more than 15secs a time). I hop right back on the freeway and I really had it floored to get up to speed fast.

As soon as I let off the gas to cruise it starts surging, off and on, I bury my foot in it again and its fine again, let off and it almost dies. So I continue on to work and I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it idling, constantly pumping the peddle.

So after sitting a few hours at work its fine, no problems, runnning great.

Today it goes to work just fine to work on the bike some more. But after finishing I head home, and its surging again. Is it water in my tank or do I have to do a full filter change?

:banghead: Never will i buy from AM/PM again

Alex

yeah then change the filters and that makes me think of talking to some Aircraft maintenance shops about how to put a test port in place of the plug on the bottom of the tank for the 83 and also when I do the 76 it's gettin a fuelcell so I might also request that a test port is added to the bottom of the tank also considering the company I am going to go through makes aviation bladder tanks for aircraft also

if you don't understand what I am talking about usualy on a checklist for an aircraft there is one to check off for taking what looks like a vial with a small tube sticking out of the center of the top opening that when you stick it into a testport on the aircrafts fuel tanks in the wings it lets out some gas to check it for water cause it is a safety issue

I'd be surprised if it's not the filters if they are that old. Altho I wouldn't put cheap gas (Arco, Tesoro, etc.) in my car unless my life depended on it.

OK, I was thinking of draining a bit and checking, also, my filters are definately more than 2 years old, more like 5-6 years :eek: . It runs fine as long as my foot is all the way into it, just doesnt want to do anything else.

Alex

I also agree with the others about changing the fuel filters before changing the plug wires at least. This just may be the trick in fixing the problem. If the plugs are over 30k miles old you should change them anyways. I would recommend using NGK's if you don't already.

A comment about gasoline quality.

For years I used to fill the the cars with Cheveron gasoline until the company left the state (Alaska). I then switched to using Tesoro and have had no problems what so ever with any of the cars using this brand. The gas is blended with ethenol during the winter months up here at least. Not sure about the summer.

A comment about gasoline quality.

For years I used to fill the the cars with Cheveron gasoline until the company left the state (Alaska). I then switched to using Tesoro and have had no problems what so ever with any of the cars using this brand. The gas is blended with ethenol during the winter months up here at least. Not sure about the summer.

The reason I'm so down on the "off brands" of gasoline is that every time I've filled up with them, I drive out of the station and get a mile down the road and hear the engine ping everytime I step on the gas. Get down to 1/2 tank and fill up with a name brand high test and the ping goes away. Nothing basically wrong with the gas other than the fact the octane rating is noticeably lower than the name brands. My personal experience only.