Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mouse made nest and died in the fan, need help getting it out

so a mouse made a nest in the fan of my brat, then it died, I need to know how to remove the fan.

I removed a bolt under the fan and one above and beneath the black box beside it, but the fan still won't come out, what am I missing?

IIRC, there's 3 bolts/nuts that hold the housing in. 1 below, and 2 above, behind the glove box. It's still somewhat of a sruggle to get it past the lower edge of the dash though, but it can be done.

Went thru the very same thing on all 3 of my BRATs. Used Murphy's Oil Soap to wash everything down with. Helped out alot, but still took sometime to get all the odor gone.

I got it done a few hours ago.

I removed the fan and took it apart and cleaned it, I vaccumed out the heater box and the rest of the ducts, I am just glad I got it cleaned before they started to smell

Thanks again

-AK

Tim - Junta Virus. I believe.

In My 81 Brat (Brat#3 sold to Mountain Tech) I had the exact same thing. I came back from the Gulf in 93' and pulled the Brat out of the Barn. While getting it going and trying everything out, the fan kept clicking, like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle. I just figured the bearings were going out and kept on driving for months. Finally one day I decided I was going to replace the fan assembly and took off the cover.

I laughed so hard when I found what was inside! A field mouse was dried up lengthwise, outstreched around the curve of the squirel cage fan. His dried tail was sticking out of the cage a bit and that was what was clicking as it spun around!

The funniest part was why it got there. Gripped tight in his tiny claws, stretched out like a diving touchdown, was a 1/2 inch peice of french fry! He had found it under my seat and crawled up into the fan to live / eat and didn't plan on me coming home!!!

I just cleaned out the cage compartment and put everything back together. It had been so long any smell was gone.

It seems to be a very common occurance for our heating designs.

Good luck-

Kurt

just like to say: the rodent sroies: priceless. I'm glad you told me about the virus- don't those things carry rabies and stuff too? in other words.. don't eat the french fry, haha.

When we got my brother's legacy, there were moths in the wheel well. along w/ about a quart of water. had been garaged for 3 years and the whole spare (was donut now full size) was coated in cacoons and nesting and fun stuff like that... least they didn't smell..

Knew a kid w/ a swallow porblem..