Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD rear vs part numbers

Hey guys, work with me here. I'm on a slow 56k so using the search function would take a hour or two to answer this question.

I remember a few people here saying that a LSD rear end doesnt always say LSD on the sticker. So heres what I got:

Part number: 722011012 - FT4wd Turbo made in 3/88

number : 722011010 - Single Range Turbo Wagon made in 12/85

number : 722011011 - Single Range XT turbo made in 6/86

All are 3.7 rear ends, are any of them LSD?

Thanks guys

I don't know about the part numbers, but I do know how to check a rear end if it is LSD or not. Here's how. Jack up the rear end so both rear tires (or hubs) are clear. Spin one wheel by hand and if the other wheel spins the same direction, it IS an LSD. If the other wheels spins in the opposite direction, then it is NOT an LSD.

Alright guys.. Thanks for pointing me the right direction. The snow is hitting the ground and I really wanna get LSD on before winter hits full out.

I'm going to work right now to check out the rotation. Hopefully one of them will spin both tires the same direction.

Dr. RX - None of the stickers on the rears look like your avatar. I may go down to the sooby dealer here and see if they can give me a list of what cars and what years had LSD on it.

I wish I could remember who said that the rear end may be LSD even though it has the standard sticker on it. They mislabeled them or something.

Anywho, thanks for the help everyone.

Dr. RX - None of the stickers on the rears look like your avatar. I may go down to the sooby dealer here and see if they can give me a list of what cars and what years had LSD on it.

I wish I could remember who said that the rear end may be LSD even though it has the standard sticker on it. They mislabeled them or something.

My avatar is the label for the LSD, Subaru wouldn't mislabel them, but what might happened is someone might have had one rebuilt and the rebuilder put the wrong rear cover on the diff. The wheel spin is a good way to test, but if someone welded the rear diff, it will also spin the same direction.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but '89 Turbo GLs and GL-10s came with LSD as an option; also all RX models had LSD rears.

The GL-10 in 89 had the LSD as standard equipment. The LSD was an option on all most every model for years 1985 to 1989.