Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ran into a snag while wiring my third eye.

Well i used a wiring diagram thats floating arround here to wire up my third eye. I got it all wired up and the light works, but the door wont open. so i switched a few wires arround (not safe i know) and the best i can get it to do is just open and close (blink), it wont stay open! Has anyone else had this problem? anyone have good luck with it? I really dont think i switched any wires arround on the harness itself but i will check again though. help??

thanks,

Tyler J.

Well i used a wiring diagram thats floating arround here to wire up my third eye. I got it all wired up and the light works, but the door wont open. so i switched a few wires arround (not safe i know) and the best i can get it to do is just open and close (blink), it wont stay open! Has anyone else had this problem? anyone have good luck with it? I really dont think i switched any wires arround on the harness itself but i will check again though. help??

thanks,

Tyler J.

did you use a DPDT switch?

here is the diagram again....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/diagrams/centerlamp-wire.jpg

ok now i'm irritatated. I pulled out all the wiring again, un-taped it, and checked if they were the right ones. they were, then i re taped, re ran and re hooked up them again, and i got the same problem, but i did notice that your diagram says that when the switch is up the light should be on, BUT mine is on when the switch is down? Wrong switch? Hooked up wrong?

Did any of the harnesses on the cars equipped with the cyclops eye come differently? Mine's off a 82 gl wagon.

ok now i'm irritatated. I pulled out all the wiring again, un-taped it, and checked if they were the right ones. they were, then i re taped, re ran and re hooked up them again, and i got the same problem, but i did notice that your diagram says that when the switch is up the light should be on, BUT mine is on when the switch is down? Wrong switch? Hooked up wrong?

Did any of the harnesses on the cars equipped with the cyclops eye come differently? Mine's off a 82 gl wagon.

well, that wiring has been used on the 82 style, and a 80 style. I would assume the 81 to be the same....

could be a difference in the switch... does yours have the numbers like in the diagram? some have letters....

I bought a the one from Radio Shak that DTDP or whatever the term is.

it was roughly 5.00 and it looks the same as the diagram. My only problem is I think the wiring to the motor is bad. Light turns on, but door doesn't move.

I am going to try hot wiring the motor make sure that is the problem.

Anyone know where to get replacement motors?

Last resort would be to get a long cable control and open and close the door that way.

BW

I had one once with a bad motor. turned out the motor case was cracked, and the gears weren't meshing.

I have also had the solder connections on the motor go bad (bust, corrode away) When that happens, it's a bit harder to fix.

the door hinges don't move on the one in my 80 wagon. I had been doing some testing, and got it to move. found the bad spots, and redid the wiring, but it still won't move. there's no door on it now, so it's just an extra light up front....

I have also had the solder connections on the motor go bad (bust, corrode away) When that happens, it's a bit harder to fix.

That's what happened. I took the case apart and gave the gears a WD-40 bath. I looked at the contacts and it was all corroded. Cleaned the contacts re-wired the contacts. Light works. Woohoo.. door goes up, door goes down, :)