Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

wrx engine in a gl hatchback

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 freedumbsnow

freedumbsnow

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Incline village

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:14 AM

I was just wondering if anybody has actually looked into a conversion to make the ultimate subaru sleeper. I've been looking around at just getting a new wrx but I think something like this that has never been done would be much more fun.my friend thought the mounts would be similar. I was kind of doubtful but to do this would be an incredible feat, please give info. thoughts, anything.

#2 maximumBRAT

maximumBRAT

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Berthoud

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:37 AM

How about an STi set up in a BRAT? Someday.. sigh... that wold be nice...

A gl wagon, there are a few Uber wagons (WJM) and other folks with really radical set ups, WRX would be cool..

Oh by the way.. RX owned a 5.7L sierra tonight!

#3 freedumbsnow

freedumbsnow

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Incline village

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:55 AM

Yeah, I would like to do this but need a lot more info on this. I read in another chat room that something of the sort is being done and that the person is on this site. I searched (briefly) through some links but didn't find anything substantial. I also learned that the the wrx and gl use a horizontally positioned engine bay so the conversion would work better. also do you think that the sti would work in a gl hatchback?

#4 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,881 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 04 December 2004 - 04:03 AM

there have been a few people to do it. Corky (Dr. RX) would be a good person to talk to about it since he put a EJ20T I believe it was, into an RX 3-door...

#5 freedumbsnow

freedumbsnow

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Incline village

Posted 04 December 2004 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for the info I'll keep searching.

#6 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 04 December 2004 - 05:57 AM

EA82's, ER27's, EJ20's, EJ22's have all been installed in Gen2 rigs. Both in Australia and the states. There are a couple of STi Brats/Brumby's running around Australia. There is a couple of ER27 Brats and a Hatchback running in the states. A 2.2 in a '80 or '81 wagon. A 2.2 in Mudrat's, "Weeble", that ran the Rubicon. A 2.2 in a Brat in Seattle. An EA82T in a Gen1 Brat in Oregon. An EJ20G in a RX 3dr. So, yes, it has been done with some success. There should be info in a dozen or so posts and threads. Try a search for "transplants".

#7 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,113 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:58 AM

Here's what it would be like.

http://www.autospeed...gestions&A=0728

#8 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:30 PM

Too sweet, Zap. Is that your next secret project?

#9 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:55 PM

i think itd be an easy install. the only thing that will be holding me back on this one will be cash. till they are 15 years old, i wont be able to afford one... er27s and 2.2 are old =]

#10 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 04 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

I'm thinking about this, if I buy HillbillyLes' injured wagon, and sucessfully fix it, I'll still have a good body, good D/R 5-speed drivetrain, and a couple crappy options for motors, but wait, my friend is looking at a 2.0T swap into his 2.2 impreza, hmmmm........ideas

#11 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2004 - 12:44 AM

I have a EJ22 in my 1980 GL-1600 4wd wagon :banana:

it does fit!!

now if I can just find a wrecked wrx ;)

#12 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,113 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 05 December 2004 - 12:02 PM

Too sweet, Zap. Is that your next secret project?

My impreza L deserves that motor, if I had one I sure wouldn't waiste it on a hatch or a brat. An N/A like Austin's, maybe, but no EJ20ts. . .

I personally think brats are for offroad.

My next project. . . ? That would be a semi secret, cuz when it's done, I wanna be the first to do it like I'm gonna do it.

#13 freedumbsnow

freedumbsnow

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Incline village

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:17 PM

this is really just an idea me and a friend had a couple of days ago. I like the hatchbacks function and I don't really need a wrx. I was checking out the feasibility. Now I think I'll look into the money it'll cost. If anyone knows of a reputable engine company (or any wrx component shop for that matter) that I could call and price. I'm hoping to have enough $$$ by mid-late summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users