Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T with 2.5 inch Flowmaster and Cat Converter PICS inside

I just wanted to document some parts I got to complete an exhaust I just had put on my EA82T. I'm feeling really good at how it came out. This is mainly a picture post. The exhaust has 2.5" piping from the downpipe to a 2.5" catalytic converter (purchased at Autozone) to a 2.5" in and out Flowmaster muffler. Meineke mufflers provided and installed the Flowmaster 40 Series muffler. Meineke also spray painted the whole downpipe back exhaust section with black high temp paint. Man.....I love the look of it. Looks like it means business. I'll post a pic with the cat converter and the Flowmaster muffler part numbers.

Cat Converter was purchased from Autozone while the muffler was at the Meineke shop. Enjoy the pics.

CatConverter.JPGFlowmasterBox.JPG

This is Frank in the background. He did the custom pipe job. It's not mandrel bends. I'm cheap! I'm sure it'll be very effective regardless. I'm happy!

Exhaust1.JPGExhaust2.JPG

Note how the Flowmaster muffler is flipped to an upright position to clear the rear piping. Not bad! Exhaust isn't as low at it may appear to be. I thought that was a little clever.

Exhaust3.JPGExhaust4.JPG

I did what you guys said in another thread and had the muffler piping extended past the bumper a bit. It worked out nicely. The exhaust system as a whole is QUIET. You have to really get on it to hear some ruckess. Just the way I like it. Thanks for everything guys.

Exhaust5.JPG

I'm still blown away by the plain jane dark charcoal look of the exhaust. No bling, no shine or chrome. Just straight up business. I've never seen anything like this before but I'm sure a lot of you have. I'm always down for something a little different. Ok...off to bed.

BTW: I have an exhaust leak at the exhaust port/header section due to me only having 3 bolts per side instead of 4. The 4th bolts on the sides don't line up. The Techworks manual pointed this out. The bolts have to be put on a specific way. I'm going to have to redo it. You may get lucky like Will did by just using the 2 stock header bolts, per exhaust port. Good luck!

a few question, 1 how much was the cat from autozone ? and part# 2- so you have a straight pipe running down from the motor ? i call it a big foot ball of course it is curved which is taken out ? also how much less is the temp of the motor ? any increase in mpg ,hp , the black paint will it slow up any rust ,which does eat away exhaust ? i like what i see ,

hey twisted

cant get the clip to play, the quick time symbol comes up and then there is a click and the symbol shows a tear in it and thats it...any suggestions?

First off you should make sure you are right clicking on it and saving it to your computer. Don't try to play it from your browser. If it still doesn't work, make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed.

a few question, 1 how much was the cat from autozone ? and part# 2-
The catalytic converter from Autozone was $56.99.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29648&highlight=Aftermarket+Converter

The Flowmaster muffler was $82.99.

so you have a straight pipe running down from the motor ? i call it a big foot ball of course it is curved which is taken out ? also how much less is the temp of the motor ? any increase in mpg ,hp , the black paint will it slow up any rust ,which does eat away exhaust ? i like what i see ,
Thanks for liking it. I don't know if there is any increase/decrease in hp/torque or mpg. I haven't tested anything. I still have an exhaust leak at the header/exhaust port connection. I'll try to get to this tomorrow (work is killing me).

The 'straight-pipe' you are referring I think goes like this: downpipe-piping-cat converter-piping-muffler-exhaust tip.

The black paint is high temperature paint that helps keep in the heat in the exhaust. I have no idea if it will prevent or if it'll aide in rusting. I'm hoping it helps to prevent it.

Yeah, this car's underside is a rust bomb. I'm going to spray it down with rustoleum. I'm not sinking any $$ into body work. :(

Coolness.

I suspect the leak is due to either one or both of these two items: A: Not enough TQ on the bolts. B: Not using OE SUBARU exhaust gaskets.

I used the OE ones (actually I think I RE-USED the old ones from the stock header, of course those were only....idk, eleventy billion miles old but looked fine) and only used the eleventy billion Original aged studs and nuts, the two stockers, and bolted it down as per normal TQ. No leaks. :-p

Now fix t3h leak and get on t3h dyno. I want to hear all about the gains from that large hair dryer you have on it now.

Coolness.

I suspect the leak is due to either one or both of these two items: A: Not enough TQ on the bolts. B: Not using OE SUBARU exhaust gaskets.

They are brand new O.E. gaskets that I torqued down to Techworks specs. I 'shaved' the gaskets so the 10X1.25" bolts could be screwed in. I'll fiddle with it soon enough. Maybe I should've just left the stock gaskets alone and did what you did.....since it worked for you. I was just trying to follow instructions. *sniffle*

Even still, I have to install the manual boost controller, RRFPR and possibly get the fuel injectors clean. I got this feeling something is going to go 'boom' if I don't. After the exhaust fix though, I'll probably run up to the dyno shop. I want to grow up to make hp/torque just like you Will. :lol:

Hey that is one great looking exhaust system. Your downpipe looks good too. Wish mine looked that good. I still have to get part of my downpipe fixed. I had thought about painting my exhaust with high temp black too, but got lazy and never got around to it. But Kudos to your new exhaust!!!