Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to Subaru, Should I buy?

Dear friends,

I am currently considering the purchase of either an 2003 Outback with 23,000 miles or a 2003 Forester with 16,000 miles. The vehicle is for my wife who commutes many hours a week for work. I have done some home work on the Subarus and so far I am impressed with what I have found. Both of the vehicles in question are in excellent condition. Both vehicles sport the same trim level 2.5xs. May I ask for your suggestions and recomendations. How well do the Subarus hold up?, and are there any significant maintanence issuse for either model?

Please respond.

Thank you

JRex:)

I just bought my 4th Subaru. There are more Outbacks and Foresters on the road in my area than pretty much any other specific model (not make) car. Must be a reason. Go for it... it'll hold it's value and you won't lose your shirt if you want to switch out. Most Subie buyers don't give mileage much weight when buying one. Good luck! :)

Never drove a Forester, but have a friend who's had 8 Sube's in his lifetime. He doesn't like the Forester over the Legacy/Outback because it has a shorter wheelbase, and the ride is a little more harsh than the Legacy/Outback. He drives about 50 or so miles a day back and forth for work.

I like both my Legacy's and Outback's ride. Nice and smooth..

So Legacy/Outback would be my vote...

Let us know how you fare...

P.S. I have relatives in Jax... Nice place to come and visit, expecially NOW... Winter in NY !!!!!!!

i say that both of those are sure bets on reliability and drivability, go for the XT if you can........dont think so cause they came out in 04'. most of the cars that subaru sells in america are outback wagons, lots of them out there. with the 2.5 liter you can get many many upgrades for the engine and suspension, tires etc. 23,000 on a 2 year old car is nothing, hell the motor isnt even broken in yet on a subie at that mileage, you never told us how much your willing to spend on this new subaru, if anything goes wrong with that car, you know where to ask first. not the dealer, theres a hint.

~Josh~

Go with the Outback, far better long distance comfort and more responsive handling.

Keep up simple maintenace like oil, coolant, and brake fluid changes. Likely problems will be weak rear wheel bearings - a "risk" from ca. 60k miles and up. Keep an eye on CV joint boots, although these have improved over the years.

Coolant needs to drained and filled in the exact correct manner, get back to us when that becomes necessary :-)

JH

Subaru hierarchy lesson 101

You might want to

Look at the base vehicles from the underside.

Outback's are built on the Legacy chassis

read heavy

Foresters are built on the Impreza chassis

read not so heavy.

Just some info for a newbie.

I have owned several of each.

Legacy is the comfy cruiser.

But I implore you

DO NOT drive a VDC H6!!!

VDCforsite.jpg

But I think the Legacy is best cruiser. I have driven the Outbacks and Legacys on trips to New Zealand and have come to love the Legacy for a long drive.

If I lived in Maine I would get an Outback for the ground clearance.

Since I live in SF area I have a Forester for ease of parking and turning in my yead.

There are enough Subarus in enough models to get just what you need or like.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my third Subaru. Currently we have a 2005 Outback and a 2005 Forester. We take the Outback on longer road trips and scoot about town in the Forester. So, my advice to you for you wife's longish commute would be the Outback.

:)

Dear friends,

I am currently considering the purchase of either an 2003 Outback with 23,000 miles or a 2003 Forester with 16,000 miles. The vehicle is for my wife who commutes many hours a week for work. I have done some home work on the Subarus and so far I am impressed with what I have found. Both of the vehicles in question are in excellent condition. Both vehicles sport the same trim level 2.5xs. May I ask for your suggestions and recomendations. How well do the Subarus hold up?, and are there any significant maintanence issuse for either model?

Please respond.

Thank you

JRex:)

Just a question why do you need a AWD vehicle in Florida? Does she off-road, drive on the beach, etc?? I would go with nice Import wagon or sedan Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Nissian Altima better MPG and less weight.

Shortlid makes an excellent point. Do you have a compelling need for an AWD vehicle? I live in South Carolina and I own a Forester. I have driven the car for six years. I am aware of the AWD "kicking in" on two occasions, both times in the snow. So far, (175,000 miles) the Forester has been a very good car to own. Others can tell you the all good points about Subarus. I will tell you about some of the drawbacks.

1. Very few dealers in the Southeast. No snow=fewer Subies.

2. Subaru is a pretty reliable car, but there are lot more parts on an AWD car.

3. Interference engine. Hard to avoid on Japanese cars, but try.

4. Even fewer good "indie" repair shops. Hope you really like your dealer.

5. The AT Subies MUST be towed on flat bed truck.

If you break down in the rural south, say Mississippi, you may be up a creek without a paddle. Subaru seems to make tough little cars, just something to think about.