Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What sort of tools/supplies do you keep in your car?

First: I'm specifically asking people with older generation Subarus, because they're more likely to keep a lot of tools & parts & such in their car. Also, I'm curious as to what sort of "Subaru-specific" tools everyone keeps around. If this is still deemed off topic, feel free to move it, but I'd sort of like it to stay here.

Personally, I keep a pretty complete "roadside set" with me - I'm of the opinion that tow trucks are for things that require major work (such as an engine rebuild or new transmission). I also am one of apparently very few people who will still stop to help someone change a tire at night on a busy highway (nothing to make you feel alive like trucks zooming past 3' away at 80mph).

So: Things I keep in the back of my Subaru:

In the tool chest area:

Hydraulic jack

Jumper cables

Spare ignition coil

36mm axle nut wrench & breaker bar

75W work lamp (110v, but I have an inverter)

Small air compressor (slow, but works)

3/16" punch

In the side compartments:

PB Blaster

Brake cleaner

Flex screwdriver set

Bungee cords

Quart of oil

Spare V-belts

Voltmeter

Zip ties

In the back, either in bins or just floating around:

4-way tire iron

Jack stand

Windshield wiper fluid

Socket set/wrenches

Coolant

Timing belts (in boxes)

Elsewhere in the car:

Inverter (300W)

Hat & gloves

I have 4WD, so a broken CV joint *shouldn't* be a huge issue - put it in 4WD and it should at least get me to my destination. I have a new fuel pump, but I'm debating getting a spare alternator to keep around. I really should also throw some duct tape in the car to patch a blown coolant hose if needed (and/or some worm clamps), though if I just change out all the hoses they should be fine.

Is there anything else I should consider hauling around with me?

-=Russ=-

I carry...

4-way tire iron

36mm axle nut socket

36mm axle nut

19mm deep well (1/2" drive)

1/2" drive breaker bar

flat head screwdriver

#2 phillips head

pliers

10mm combo wrench

12mm combo wrench

14mm combo wrench

1 qt Valvoline 5w30

1 qt DOT3 brake fluid

1 gallon water

2.5 gallons gasoline

miscellaneous rags

20' braided nylon tow rope

jumper cables

3/16th punch, e10 Torx. Big hammer, lotsa zip ties :)

Hey I got one of these toolboxes from Sears. They're $10, fit in the the tool chest/smuggler's compartment great, and you can pack a ton of stuff. I keep basically every tool I use on my car in mine, and theres still more room.

They're 22" long, small enough that's there room left under the floor for a jack, two axles, breaker bar, tire iron, and a qt of oil.

It's not nearly full here:

post-4429-136027600337_thumb.jpg

I have my toolbelt, (pliers, wirecutters, screwdrivers, testlamps, multimeter, heaps of cable clips, connectors and scraps of wire)

I also have the subaru toolkit, (wheel nut spanner, dual ended screwdriver, a few open enders and multi-grips)

thats it

I know im slack:drunk:

Unless your going a long distance from home I would carry any of those in my 2D Hatchback. I like getting the best mileage I can at this point. But if there was one other thing I would take, it would have to be warm clothes if I have to walk with my thumb out.

Really depends on if I'm running light or trail ready :)

Running Light: OEM Subaru tool pouch with all even numberd wrenches, cresent wrench, goose neck 10mm/11mm combo, plyers, flat and phillips screw drivers, and OEM lug nut wrench. Also onboard would be one jug of coolant, one quart of oil, PB Blaster, a set of warm coveralls (MN is cold!), moving blanket, fire extinquisher, full size spare, and a snatch strap (hook less tow strap!).

Trail Ready: Full tool box with every tool I need to rebuild a Subaru. All those tools fit in one 3 tray with storage top tool box and one little box for the BFH, hack saw, needle stethsicope, cheater bar, and the 1" chisel. Again coolant, oil, PB Blaster, coveralls, moving blanket, fire extinguisher, are all included. In addition to that would be fully recovery gear; snatch strap, come-a-long, high lift jack, 6ton clevis on each bumper, full size spare tire, and some heavy duty leather gloves. Lets not forget spare parts; front and rear axle, timing belts, timing belt pullies, optical dizzy, MAF, TPS, some 12v switches, ign. coil, one plug wire, super duper heavy duty farm implement zip ties, little bit of spare wire and crimp on connectors and all of which fits in one box that can keep it all together in that's just as long as a front EA82 axle and about half as wide. Oh forgot about electrical tools; keep them in their own tiny tool box that holds a cimper/cutter/stripper tool, special needle nose plyers, typical replacment fuses, electrical tape, couple tiny head screw drivers of both flavors, and a small digital multi meter.

Compound Trail Ready with Camping Gear.... I need a six cylinder :-p

Jumper cables, road flares, 12-volt air compressor, a homemade airbag setup for lifting my car out of stuck places, spare tire, standard Subaru tool kit (screwdriver, tire iron), stock scissor jack, square of plywood for placing under jack on soft ground, gas can, couple of extra quarts of oil, and a digital camera to record all my adventures.

are the best! I have one for my travel toolbox.

I have:

punch

3lb sledgehammer

1/2" breaker bar & 3/8" adapter

assorted screwdrivers, pliers

combo wrenches 10mm-17mm + 19mm (should pull out the 16mm and 13mm, what are they good for? :P )

10mm/11mm, 12mm/14mm, and 15mm/17mm combo wrenches (love these!)

small wire brush

extendo-magnet tool

headlamp & batteries

1 vise grip, 1 crescent wrench

axle nut socket

3/8" ratchet & the usual sockets

battery post cleaner

probably more stuff too.

jumper cables

baseball bat (do it yourself security system :D)

coat hanger for sanctioned break-ins

can of orange scrub hand cleaner

I also like to carry duct tape and electrical tape (need to make an emergency electrical kit out of some of the extra wires i'll have after my EJ swap), coolant, and oil. I don't carry penetrant in my wagon since i've had literally everything under the car off before except the gas tank. and yes it's on my list ;)

I also like to have some sandwich bags for bolts, oh and some of those blue nitrile gloves as well as some leather gloves. I am sort of shopping for a first aid kit and it just occurred to me to source some disposable tyvek coveralls while i'm at it. Also have a couple rain ponchos (for the passengers too!) and need to get a space blanket, recharge my fire extinguisher.. my flares are super old so i need new ones. i also have an extra distributor cap, rotor, plugs, belts, etc from an old tuneup.

an easy first aid kit could include alcohol swabs, knuckle bandages, assorted bandaids, and super glue.

for those situations which defy classifications, I also have a rocket launcher, radar jammer, $50,000 in small unmarked bills, three passports, a couple of visas (don't even know my real name ;)), prophylactics and a bottle of wine (or should that be the other way around? hehe), a shovel and some lime, and midget repellant (in case skeet threatens to visit again).

for those situations which defy classifications, I also have a rocket launcher, radar jammer, $50,000 in small unmarked bills, three passports, a couple of visas (don't even know my real name ;)), prophylactics and a bottle of wine (or should that be the other way around? hehe), a shovel and some lime, and midget repellant (in case skeet threatens to visit again).

he's lying,he doesn't carry wine.it's ether.