Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Head Gasket sealant?

Got my carb'd motor running in the turbo wagon, used a blue non setting sealant on the head gasket.

Just noticed its leaking coolant out the top of the head. :banghead:

No water in oil as yet.

This is with a aftermarket head gasket (i know, i know oem is best but i figured a cheap one would do as this engine is only a temporary thing!).

I think the sealant i used is crap, cos i cleaned up the surfaces nicely and torqued and retorqued the head properly.

What kind of sealant do others use?

Got my carb'd motor running in the turbo wagon, used a blue non setting sealant on the head gasket.

Just noticed its leaking coolant out the top of the head. :banghead:

No water in oil as yet.

This is with a aftermarket head gasket (i know, i know oem is best but i figured a cheap one would do as this engine is only a temporary thing!).

I think the sealant i used is crap, cos i cleaned up the surfaces nicely and torqued and retorqued the head properly.

What kind of sealant do others use?

Did you check the bypass hose on the water pump, mine had a hairline crack and it only leaked when revved :)

Ive done head gaskets on an EA81, EA82-T and like 4 EA82's and never used sealant on any of their head gaskets. Never had a leak either. If it was one of those silver colored gaskets it should have been fine naked. (no sealant)

Yeah I didn't use any sealant on my HG's either but they were OEM SOA...

Its definitely coming from the HG, i can see it seeping out.

Wasn't a silver gasket, it was almost black.

Thats interesting that you guys don't use sealant, friends at the parts store strongly recommended it. Guess I should have asked here first!

Might just keep driving this motor and see how it goes, it doesn't seem to be leaking coolant internally yet.

Ill just have get the ea81t ready to go back in asap.

I've got oem HGs for the ea81t, so ill put them on dry.

Thanks.

friends at the parts store strongly recommended it.
Are they on a commission?;)

Unless you know them real well, i wouldn't trust parts guys. I've worked with them, they sometimes would tell half truths to get things off the shelf that weren't first rate imo.

Best idea is to ask a mechanic for advice. They're qualified to have an opinion.

Are they on a commission?;)

Unless you know them real well, i wouldn't trust parts guys. I've worked with them, they sometimes would tell half truths to get things off the shelf that weren't first rate imo.

Best idea is to ask a mechanic for advice. They're qualified to have an opinion.

I've had, and heard of, much worse advice coming from mechanics!

I know what you mean though.

I think in this case the guy did believe what he was saying, maybe he was misinformed by someone else.

Wether to use sealant or not is gasket specific. Some gaskets require a specific sealant and will usually come with it. Others are designed not to use a sealant and if you do you will actually make it easier for the gasket to fail.

I would have read any instructions included with your head gasket set.

I did a set on EA81 and bought some sealent that was rated for use with the gaskets I had purchased. The gaskets were FelPro from Napa.

-Brian

To answer your question, the only head gasket sealer that I ever use on any head gasket is the spray on copper sealer made by Permatex.

Thanks. Would you recommend using it on oem ea81 head gaskets?

As a general rule, if head gaskets are meant to use a sealant it will be supplied with the gasket. Head gaskets are one of the few gaskets that rely on compression and close tolerance surfaces to make the seal. Do not use sealant unless specified.

Another place to never use sealant is the pan gasket on an AT. Two reasons: 1) It squishes out on the inside and can cause lots of grief if it gets into the valves and servos. 2) Because it's slippery when you are torqueing the bolts it allows the gasket to slide around and compress more easily. You'll find that you've completely squashed (and in most cases torn) the gasket at the bolt holes, but have gaps in between. All AT pan gaskets I have ever seen specify on the package not to use sealant.

Actually I would never use a gasket sealer on an aluminum engine, only on a cast iron engine.

Subaru wants you to use one on ea-81 head gaskets.They suggest" 3 bond 1201"

or "Dow Corning 92-024" though I`m sure others would work.

Use ONLY OE SUBARU head gaskets for the EA82...11044AA013 is the part number.

DO NOT USE ANY SORT OF SEALANT ON THE HEAD GASKET OR HEAD/BLOCK SUFACES. Just make sure they are CLEAN and free of ANY old material.

Use ONLY OE SUBARU head gaskets for the EA82...11044AA013 is the part number.

DO NOT USE ANY SORT OF SEALANT ON THE HEAD GASKET OR HEAD/BLOCK SUFACES. Just make sure they are CLEAN and free of ANY old material.

helps a HOLE lot if you have the block and heads decked...much better for sealing. even 1-2 thousanths is enough to cause problems

Subaru wants you to use one on ea-81 head gaskets.They suggest" 3 bond 1201"

or "Dow Corning 92-024" though I`m sure others would work.

Thats why i ended up using a sealant. Problem is i have never heard of either product, any idea what kind of sealant it is?

I already have the oem HGs for my ea81t, just need to decide whether or not to use a sealant.

Thats why i ended up using a sealant. Problem is i have never heard of either product, any idea what kind of sealant it is?

I already have the oem HGs for my ea81t, just need to decide whether or not to use a sealant.

Not really,but the 3 Bond has a Subaru part #.004403008 superceded by 004403007.About $18.