Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Underdash audible?

Hi again,

I have been having the strangest thing happen while driving my 87 gl10. I'll be driving along and out of nowhere, an electronic "beep" emits from under the dash! It lasts about a second and happens whenever it feels like it and I think it's in the key of C sharp.

At first I thought it was my cell phone low battery warning, but then it happened when my phone was at home, it's not the radio, cause it happened once when the radio was off, and I have since swapped the radio for a CD player. It sounds as if the ecu has an audible of some sort, and trying to tell me something! Maybe she's saying "I'm tired...let me die!"

She had an alarm system but I have disabled that outfit, the sound startles me when driving cause it sounds like something is seriously wrong and warning me... I just don't know what it is.

i have experienced this phanotom beep, i was like "Whoa, never heard that before" i believe its a speed warning as part of the trip computer on the radio console. i never did figure out all the functions of the trip computer as my display never worked. but anything its trip computer related

do you have a trip computer and is it working right?

on an XT6 trip computer any time power is disconnected the trip computer begins counting down from some random number that you didn't enter and when it reaches zero it will go off. but it should only do it once unless power is disconnected again. i suppose a wiring problem or issue with the computer could cause it to do it more often.

do you have a trip computer and is it working right?

on an XT6 trip computer any time power is disconnected the trip computer begins counting down from some random number that you didn't enter and when it reaches zero it will go off. but it should only do it once unless power is disconnected again. i suppose a wiring problem or issue with the computer could cause it to do it more often.

Yup, I have had the trip computer start at random times, counting down from a random number.. when it gets to zeo it emits a long beep. Has scared the hell out me a couple times :lol:

Aliens have implanted a chip in your Subie! :eek:

Don't let them know that you know!!! :cool:

Stay cool and keep your eyes on the road but secretly watch for UFO's following you :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!:lol::grin:

I needed a good laugh this morning!(Hey! Hey! Don't just sit back and laugh at me.... It is morning here in Japan!!!)

hti-johnson

Is it the alarm on the trip computer. mine has a alarm clock that beeps just once when it reaches the programmed time. Just once...how is that supposed to wake someone up who can sleep through fire alarms?

and why there is an alarm clock in a car is a mystery... you should be paying attention to the road not sleeping!:rolleyes::lol:

Hey it can have good rally use. If you are supposed to drive from point A to B in 2.5 hours... set the clock for 2.5 hours... then hope it beeps when you cross the finish line :lol:

My 86 GL-10 would have the rev limiter beep sometimes when I started the car... the dash would read 9900 for a second, it beeped, then went down to the proper number. My guess is its either that or the alarm.