Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Score Thread- 86 GL Sedan 4x4 SAVED!

Well looking through craigslist today I found this car for sale that just happened to be right down the street. 86 GL 4x4 Sedan, 161k, 5spd DUAL-RANGE! Carb'd and has been sitting for 2 years at a shop that the owner left it at (not being able to afford to fix it). So I swung by to look at it, body and interior is decent shape minus the front end damage. Been sitting for 2 years and they just wanted it out of there and were going to donate to charity this afternoon. The hitch~the title is from out of state (Oregon, what a surpise all the rust free roo's seem to come from there) and has been signed twice, so will be a bit of a hassle there. Prob just have my brother throw a mechanics lean on it and then get the title. Offered them $100, threw a battery in it, and a sparkplug to replace the one that was broken. Started right up after a few cranks to get fuel up there. Woot! No smoke at all, runs fairly decent and everything works. Needs the typical tune-up, oil-pump seals, all other seals, hoses, a CV and some exhuast work..plus the major cleaning and should be a great little car. Not to mention the huge bonus of what was in the trunk...an almost complete set of Factory Subaru Manuals! Woot, good score for $100 in my brain..here is some pics..more in my photo gallery.

back.jpg

front.jpg

AND THE SCORE IN THE TRUNK!

trunk.jpg

Still waiting on the 80' Brat down the street too...hehe plenty of parking spaces.

Spent a few more hours on it today...

Cleaned the carb up real good, fixed the problem with it heating up (prob why it was taken to the shop in the first place). Just so happens the one electric fan (no mechanical?) was wired backwards and was blowing instead of pulling...duh. Also added another electric fan I had laying around. Adjusted the clutch a bit, and cleaned up the interior a tad to find an almost perfect interior! Filled up the tranny and double checked all the hoses (brand new ones still in the trunk from the shop). Well took it for a drive, isn't quite idling right, real rough. Figure it's the old gas, crapped up tune-up parts, everything from sitting. Runs much better once you get it above 2k. Drives good, struts are in great shape, 4wd works great, all the power stuff works (minus the clock). Needs a whole new exhuast, leaks everywhere and has a cherry bomb for a muffler :headbang: . Also found in the trunk with FSM's was a folder with what looks to be the full work history on this car, brand new hoses, belts, & a fuel filter...extra bonuses. Will defintely be fixing this one up, just have to go through the hassle of the title. Already invisioning a 3" Lift, pugs, big tires, and EFI conversion to start... :grin: