Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Leather Cleaner recommendations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

Now that the hot weather has broken, I was thinking of cleaning and conditioning the leather seats in our Outback Wagon.

Any suggestions or results of a particular product from anyone would be appreciated.

Also, any helpful techniques or tricks to make the job "better" (read that as easier).

They haven’t been cleaned since new in 2001.
:-\

#2 Adnan

Adnan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Fremont

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

Hi,

There are a few options and of course, everyone has their favorites. I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner and am fairly pleased with it. Some swear by Hide Food, for cleaning I've heard good things about saddle soap.

Regards,
Adnan

#3 danz75

danz75

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Everett

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:00 PM

Now that the hot weather has broken, I was thinking of cleaning and conditioning the leather seats in our Outback Wagon.

Any suggestions or results of a particular product from anyone would be appreciated.

Also, any helpful techniques or tricks to make the job "better" (read that as easier).

I've used Merguires and so far it's good.

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Texas

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

everything I've ever read warns to avopid silicone based stuff for leather. not sure why.

sorry, that's all I know

Carl

#5 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:13 AM

I second the Lexol. I use it on my airplane, and our flying jackets (open cockpit) great stuff.

#6 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:39 AM

there. Lexol has a slight tendency to be sticky on a hot day. On the other hand they use it on saddles and Land Rovers in Africa so it does seem to work.
My BMW is a 99 and the seats and interior look brand new.
The only thing leather in my Forester is an old jacket on the back seat.

#7 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

I have been told by upholstery shops that neatsfoot oil is the best preservative, and it does seem to give good results for me. Lexol is a variant of neatsfoot oil and is probably better if you can find it. I've never had any filthy leather seats, have always used windex and a soft cloth for dusting or light water soluble stains. If I had any stained or dirty seats, I would probably look for a product made specifically for leather cleaning.

#8 Steve530

Steve530

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:56 PM

I use Leatherique Rejuvinating Oil and Pristine Clean on my BMW and my wife's 97 OBW. It is expensive, but it is by far the best product I've used for leather.

Lexol is my second choice. IMHO, it does not condition the leather as well as Leatherique.

#9 Dusza Beben

Dusza Beben

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Hiram

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:56 PM

Merguires has kept my seats quite well in my 2000 OBW and thats through 240,000 miles and 2 kids that like to spill things.... alot. :banghead:

DB

#10 aba4430

aba4430

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Royston, GA

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:43 AM

We use Murphys oil soap to clean (after we ran out of Tanner's cleaner) and it works fine. For conditioning after cleaning, we use Tanners Leather preserve. I was able to buy a 6-pack of the preserve from a 3rd party vendor selling through Amazon actually. We have been using Tanners since 1998 and it is fantastic.

aba4430

#11 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:49 AM

Lexol Cleaner followed by Lexol Conditioner. I purchase them at the local pep boys. We use it on the leather seats in the airplane that I fly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users