Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pushbutton 4wd won't engage

The car in question is my daily driver - a 93 Loyale, 5speed pushbutton 4wd.

Raining hard in Central Ohio today, so I thought I would try running it in 4wd mode just for kix.... Only problem is the rear axle isn't kicking in like it's supposed to, and the dash indicator doesn't light up when I press the 4wd switch.

Any ideas on what would prevent the 4wd from actuating when the button is pushed?

thanks, John

Check your fuses, its electrically operated. If those are ok, check the connector on top of the tranny (PIA). If thats ok, then thers a problem with the selenoid. On the 80's models its located on the right side toward the rear of the unit and about the size of a ......axle nut(closest I can come).

All it is, is a pin that goes in/out to engage 4wd.

Rob

Turbone, you're thinking of the automatic. The Manual PB4WD is vacuum actuated. On the driver's side by the strut tower there are two vacuum switches, which feed vacuum to a big vacuum actuator, about 3-4" in diameter which is located on the driver's side of teh transmission. Check teh hoses, and check teh solenoid switches. IF anything, you can directly connect the correct side of the diaphragm to manifold vacuum to lock it into 4WD, I don't know which side engages 4WD. If neither side makes it engage, than that diaphragm is bad. I have one if that is the case.

The 4WD light on the dash won't light unless the transmission actually shifts into 4WD.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Hondasucks

The Manual PB4WD is vacuum actuated. On the driver's side by the strut tower there are two vacuum switches..."

Hoo-ray for that information!

Yesterday, my 4WD just mysteriously quit engaging----just AFTER I had changed the fuel filter! Changing a fuel filter on these engines is (for me) usually a "grunt and groan affair" with much twisting, prying, and cussing.

After the 4WD quit, I came to this forum last night, found this post, and when I saw the thing about the vacuum hoses near the driver'sside strut tower----I KNEW for sure that I probably dislodged those vacuum lines. I went to sleep on it. This morning, I went out to the car, found the lines near the strut tower---both disconnected during the battle of the fuel filter.

Hoo-ray! All four wheels are pulling again.

-----

Hey guys... I'm not real "wowed" by this '94 Loyale (113K miles) with the single range and the pushbutton 4WD. I've got a "junker" '88 Soob (186K miles) with dual range and lever engagement. What is involved in switching? The path of least hassle please... My guess is that it's probably a killer job.

----

1994 Subaru Loyale wagon, 5-speed, push button 4WD. Daily driver.

1988 Subaru GL wagon, dual range 5-speed, 4X4. Daily driver.

1988 Subaru GL wagon, dual range 5-speed, 4X4. Parts car.

1977 Mercedes 240D, Diesel. 4-speed, manual windows and sunroof. Medium Red. 180K when odometer quit... My interstate machine.

1966 International 4X4 pickup. Ooh yeah!

1952 Ferguson TO-35 farm tractor.

1984 Snapper rear engine riding mower.

1988 Nimble 20 sail boat. Dark Green yawl.

--Older stuff is built better--

morgantruce, the tranny swap is basically a direct bolt in. I did this swap on a turbo car. For yours, all the mounting points, clutch, axles, driveline etc. are the same. I think the wiring harness' will plug right in, you'll have to check. I know they do on the earlier models, not sure about the '94, but probably will. You'll need to switch the console pieces. When your done it will look and act like it came that way from the factory. The only thing you won't have is the 4WD Low indicator on the dash, it will just read 4WD in low and high. It's not a bad job and well worth it.

Honda Sucks:

I forgot to thank you for that advice too. Sure enough, they had come loose when I was in there wrenching on my front end

Morgan:

My 93 has that same S/R 4wd 5speed. It's not a bad tranny either if you decide against the swap. But doing the D/R is a nice touch on a newer EA82 , and its an easy job.

John

• 13 years later...