Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dieseling after shutdown

stock ea81, stock exhaust, stock aircleaner, all that. the only difference is the carb has been de-emissionized. most of the vac lines were taken off, except for vac advance, and a couple other ones. i still have the idle circiut shutoff valve hooked up.

the damn thing will run for up to 15 seconds after i shut it down. if i use 87 it does it for the longest. if i use 91 or 92 it pretty much stops. i've ran two or three cans of seafoam through the thing, and i drive with my foot on the floor, so i doubt theres any carbon doing this in the combustion chamber.

the wierd thing is it just started doin it about 2 months after runing perfectly fine.

what else causes this?

stock ea81, stock exhaust, stock aircleaner, all that. the only difference is the carb has been de-emissionized. most of the vac lines were taken off, except for vac advance, and a couple other ones. i still have the idle circiut shutoff valve hooked up.

the damn thing will run for up to 15 seconds after i shut it down. if i use 87 it does it for the longest. if i use 91 or 92 it pretty much stops. i've ran two or three cans of seafoam through the thing, and i drive with my foot on the floor, so i doubt theres any carbon doing this in the combustion chamber.

the wierd thing is it just started doin it about 2 months after runing perfectly fine.

what else causes this?

de emiisionized..... did you remove or dissconnect the ant-deiseling (fule cut off) solenid in the carb? That is the purpse of this solenoid and without it this is exaclty what will happen.

nipper

Hmmmmmm. Have you checked to see if the power to the ignition and solenoid is really cut when you turn the key off. If there was a large capacitor in the system, it could keep enough voltage on there for a while to keep it from thinking it was turned off. I can't really think where such a capacitor might be though... It'd have to be about the size of a 1liter bottle to do that I think, and that certainly isn't a stock thing...

I think I should clarify my earlier post. I don't have much Sube specific experience, but I have been around several carbed vehicles over the years that would diesel and if the idle was slowed down it stopped. I don't know why, possibly the increased speed draws in enough extra fuel that glowing carbon deposits light, or (?) whatever, but it should be simple enough to slow it down a bit and see what happens. Easily reversible if it doesn't change anything.

yes, anti diesel solenoid is hooked up.

you should be able to hear the solenoid click when the key is turned to the Run position. (provided you are not the one turning the key)....

some possible causes.

anti-deiseling solenoid is stuck open (make sure no voltage when key off)

throttle spring losing tension, and not totally shutting off the flow of fuel.

if coli/plugs/wires etc.. are bad, maybe not all the fuel is getting burnt up either.....

i'd say its gotta be either a bad A.D solenoid, or bad wiring to it. Unless your carb is leaking or something?

Ditto. I think there's most likely a problem with the solenoid or the fuel circuit it controls.

If all else fails, get plugs that are one heat range colder and it should go away. I had to do that when I was running a Weber.

I have the same problem with my Weber but only seems to do it when the weather is warm/hot.. or after running the car hard. Though when it comes to plugs I have no idea what I am looking at to choose a colder plug.. suggestions?

Sorry for the hi-jacking but I thought it may be ok since it pertains to the subject.

I have the same problem with my Weber but only seems to do it when the weather is warm/hot.. or after running the car hard. Though when it comes to plugs I have no idea what I am looking at to choose a colder plug.. suggestions?

Sorry for the hi-jacking but I thought it may be ok since it pertains to the subject.

my 85 GL does the same thing. it all started the day my weber went on. i've just learned to live with it and dont give it any gas right before i shut her down. it will diesel like 99% of the time. i guess a colder plug set up would solve it....thanks!

neal

For me running a weber that is unemssioned my car does this same thing.

I sorta dont even notice it anymore seems like it does it whenever, no real reason behind it that i have noticed.

I just park it on a curb or hold in the break and pop the clutch listen for the shutter and wish it would backfire so all the people staring at the tan hatch dieseling down would go :eek:.