Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About to tear it apart, 87 RX. suggestions?

Well, going to do a compression check and coolant leak down test first to see if the engine is worth all that is coming. 145K on it now.

Here in the next month I’m going to take the engine out of the RX to hunt down an oil leak on the passenger’s side head. While it’s out going to do a complete reseal with new gaskets.

My list keeps growing as I think of seals to replace. Not going to pull the heads.

So far this is what I can think of to replace.

-oil pump and seals

-water pump

-timing belts

-idler pulley (if needed)

-tensioner (if needed)

-valve cover gaskets

-cam box seals

- bolt seals for valve covers

-front main seal

-rear main seal

-cam seals

- thermostat

-turbo coolant hoses with the neat shields

Not going to pull the intake unless I have too, just did that, had to replace a power steering pump mount.

See anything I missed? Waiting for Emily at CCR to email me the prices for most of these parts.

Delta Cams has a regrind for the EA82T, Scott there recommends a 260 duration cam for autocross and rallycross. 130.00 plus shipping. You send him your cams he works them and sends them back all lumpy and shiny.

Don’t know much about cams, but he was recommended by Emily at CCR.

What do you guys think of the cam choice?

Also going to replace the flywheel with a lightened one and find a good source for clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and pilot bearing. CCR again.

Going to detail the engine compartment a bit, make everything tidy. strut tower brace is almost done.

Here’s the thing that’s stuck in my head.

On the RX the alt. is mounted to the outside of the aircon, sitting in the backyard I have an 88 GL Turbo wagon. On this wagon the aircon and alt. are mounted in the opposite positions, with the alt to the inside.

If I swap the mounts it will give me more room down the driver’s side of the engine.

Now take that and strip the RX of all the engine related aircon parts, including the condenser in front of the radiator and all related plumbing. Probably going to stay away from under the dash, those parts can just stay. PITA

So can you tell that I’m thinking of mounting the intercooler in the front?

I don’t mind cutting the center from the bumper support for flow, and I’ve seen bumpers that have been cut out and screen put in place. I would also have to do away with the hood latch and assembly for clearance. Susquehanna motor sports has some really nice integrated hood pins for rally cars. The intercooler piping will be a bitch to sort out but right now I can see it happening. If I run out of time, it’s getting top mounted with a fan and a good shroud to prevent heat soak from the engine.

Still toying with the idea of running DL quads and having the high beam holes for forced air induction on the passengers side and forcing air from the drivers’ side of the car to under the intercooler and sucking it out the hood with a fan. A nice enclosed box, of course.

I do see some holes in my logic, but nothing I can’t work around.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Stuff I missed?

Regards,

Jay

If I was gonna get a new cam, I'd go for a beefier cam... one made of more substance, with a higher lift. Get it made with the right duration you want.

I think the stock EA81 can handle 150hp max, so I don't think the EA82 is much higher... and regrinding I don't think gets it any more Hp/Torque handling capabilities, just a different lobe. Make sure he says "heat treated" as well. don't want your cam busting after 10k mark.

As for your clutch of choice, I suggest Centerforce, as they have a dual friction race clutch with a lifetime warranty, you burn it out, send it back in and get a new one. About $250 with EVERYTHING after shipping.... or get an XT6 clutch because it's made to handle more power. (Xt6's use the EA82 tranny, but have a beefier clutch)

Cams I wouldn't do. I almost did them when I had my engine out last month. I read and re-read, and read again Corky Bell's Maximum Boost. He states that the stock cam profiles are usually about as good as its going to get. The thing that hurts turbo engines is valve overlap, you want that at a minimum. The cams we have already have very little overlap. I think you'd be hard pressed to get a cam made that was more radical...and had less or the same amount of overlap as we have now. (we could have no overlap, i'm not certain)

I looked at getting a torque ground cam (for more low end grunt), then at a HP cam (for the power band) and found that I couldn't guarantee and increase of performance...but i could guarantee different performance. I opted not to do it at this point. I think better gains can be made my bigger turbo, effecient intercooling, and new injectors.

Had i taken my engine far enough down, i would have overbored the pistons, but why take apart good headgaskets when you don't have to. Its pretty daunting. (to me atleast)

On the XT6 clutch. Very nice! The reason I had my engine out was to do the clutch. I ended up going with an XT6 flywheel, and a xt6 clutch. Its working beautifully for me.

The setup you have in the RX is a factory installation, the one on your wagon is a dealer installed option.

Tex, bigger turbo means more turbo lag. I think a compressor housing mod may work better, see what the book says. I'm not sure what tha A/R ratio is for the stock EA82T turbo, but I'm sure it can be improved.

I agree with teh XT6 clutch set up, I've had one in my 86 turbo sedan for almost six months now, it is great.

All good info. Will delve further into the cam mystery. Good to know about the mounts, Corky.

Tex, Just talked to my xt6 source, He scrapped the extra engine he had on mon., so the hunt is on again for the flywheel.

There are two XT6s' in a lot near here, both for 300, both automatics with air suspension. I'll keep looking.

Jay

Originally posted by Dr. RX

The setup you have in the RX is a factory installation, the one on your wagon is a dealer installed option.

You sure 'bout that? I looked at an '86 EA82T recently, it had the A/C on the outside, and it sure looked factory. Or a really good kit, I suppose. Changing No. 2 plug was a PITA with that setup.