Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my imp is now EJ22!! woohoo! *added swap "instructions"*

Ratty2Austin

If the spark plug threads are good, maybe i just want the heads, one of my heads has a helicoil on the spark plug, and i'm not so keen on that, and if i can put the EJ18 heads on her, and raise the compression to boot, it might not be a bad option.

Anyone know the "new" compression ratio? or what the head volume is?

If the spark plug threads are good, maybe i just want the heads, one of my heads has a helicoil on the spark plug, and i'm not so keen on that, and if i can put the EJ18 heads on her, and raise the compression to boot, it might not be a bad option.

Anyone know the "new" compression ratio? or what the head volume is?

matty b with the ej22 Brumby has looked at swapping ej18 heads onto his motor but decided against it as the ej18 heads are too restrictive.

hehe, I love the color on that old motor!!

did you ever get the tranny from my parents' place? I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to get down there again.....so if you want it, you're going to have to help yourself (and feel free to do so, my parents know you want, and I tore up the yard pulling the loyale out so you could get at it)

okay, just so people know, Matt Monson over on nasioc has been doing these "hybrid" EJ motors for quite some time, and his advise for cheap reliable power is: if you have a EJ22 alread, DO NOT get EJ18 heads put on it. for one the EJ18 heads are horribly restrictive for that CR (11.5:1) , the EJ18 cams do have better lobes for power, but its totally offset by the crappy flow of the heads. Two, you can grab a phase I or II EJ25 shortblock for less than $300, i know because i paid $200 for my shortblock that sitting in my dads shop, awaiting the phase II EJ22 heads from my 98 legacy. just by swapping in a EJ25 shortblock, you gain 20-25 HP with block and increased CR. if you DO swap in the EJ25 block, you MUST (strongly advised, not a must) send the cams to a place like delta cams in tacoma, WA. they will grind them to a more aggressive profile and net you another 10-12 HP, add some headers, a lightweight crank pulley, and a cat-back or header-back 2.25'' exhaust and now you have 195-200 HP at the crank. most of the power form this combo comes from 2k-4k rpm, but doesnt fall on its face after 5000 like the EJ22 does, it will keep pulling. do some research before you jump into this though. im sorry for hijacking, glad to hear you got more power, now you dont have to go WOT to keep up with traffic.

im using a phase I EJ25 block and phase II EJ22 heads. the phase II heads flow marginally better than the phase I's. but if you combine a phase II block and any kind of EJ22 head, you end up with 11.5:1 CR. but if you go the route im going, you use phase II heads on phase I block you get about 10.8:1-11.0:1 CR. with either one you NEED to run premium gas. yes you can use the EJ22 engine management, since they are both MAF systems, not MAP. remember to match the intake manifold to the heads you have, so keep your EJ22 intake, im just going to take it off and leave it in the engine bay(along w/ AC compressor). lots of info over on nabisco.

~Josh~

• 2 weeks later...
got it swapped in less than 5 hours!!!

ingredients= EJ22 longblock+EJ18 manifold, + EJ22 injector rails/injectors

more power!

pics and more info coming later!

EJ18 for sale now! (longblock only, good cond~$120)

I can't wait to get rid of my 1.8, is all you changed the longblock and injectors? what about the ECU?

I can't wait to get rid of my 1.8, is all you changed the longblock and injectors? what about the ECU?

yeah, longblock, and injectors..keep the EJ18 manifold+electronics (thus keeping the EJ18 manifold) and the ECU stays the same-

drawback-

my CEL randomly comes on, because the EJ22 that I pulled was one without EGR, so I had to cap off the vac lines that control the valve (bypassing these with little screws in the hoses keeps the valve close, so it doesnt open the manifold up to open atmosphere)

but it seems to run good- I just dont know whats going to happen when I go in for an emissions test!

easy instructions on the swap-

1. remove Y pipe, Alt, A/C compressor, P/S pump, radiator and battery.

2. unbolt and move aside your EJ18 intake manifold, leaving all wires attached to the manifold (you will use the EJ18 harness)

3. unbolt+remove EJ18 longblock.

4.with engines removed, install new parts (like clutch?) or seals if needed.

5.install EJ22 longblock.

6.install EJ22 injectors into EJ18 manifold (easier to install the rail assemblys than to remove each injector)

7.re-install EJ18 intake manifold, onto the EJ22 longblock.

8.re-install Alt, P/S pump, A/C compressor, radiator and battery

9. dont forget to add oil and coolant!

notes-

EJ18 does not use a knock sensor, so if using the EJ18 ECU, it is still not needed.

phase1 (w/dual port exhaust) EJ22 will interchange many of the parts used by the EJ18- including tbelt parts, water/oil pump, exhaust/intake

HEy whats up guys ?

Nice swap..

I have 2.2 in my 97 impreza can I upgrade into a 2.5 and if its doable what years fit..???

personally, I would reccomend to NOT switch to the 2.5...although they are more powerful than the 2.2, they are not anywhere near as reliable..

all the 2.5s that I have seen, either DOHC or SOHC, have had some strange issues, usually relating to HG, or piston slap.... although, it might just be all the ones I have seen... you can find info about the 2.5 swaps using the search function, and- http://www.nasioc.com deals with more of the 2.5 swaps.. try searching that as well

but yeah.. just my opinion, stick with the 2.2- they are tough!

We just completed the son's car. '93 Impreza "L" 1.8 5sp AWD

Now we have a '93 Impreza "L" 2.2 5sp AWD.

We had the motor from a '96 OB Legacy. Ended up installing headgaskets in it though. Resealed it with new belts and clutch. Runs much stronger than the 1.8. Next will be the sway bars, new suspension and air intake.

I will be adding a 2.2 y-pipe when I part my Legacy out. Then have a catback built.

Next in line for the garage is the '96 Brighton. It get's the 2.5 in place of it's 1.8.