Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weber Swap Done! How to Connect Heads Tubes?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:45 AM

O.K. I Have Done The Best thing possible to the EA82 Carbed: I Trow Away the CrapTachi Carb, and installed a Brand New Weber 32/36... But I Have to remove the Choke from It, because it hits the backside of the Power Steering Pump. Also I Got to cut off the 75% of one nut´s Head, from the rear of the same pump, because the Weber hit there too. Problem Solved.

BUT

Now I Got Open these Hoses: One 1" Comes from the Left and Another 1" comes from the Right Valve Covers; Also I Have the one who comes from the Middle of the Engine, Yes, it is the one that comes with the "T" adaptor. All Three (Well... Four) was connected to Original the Air Filter Box of my Californian EA82 of 1986.

So, The Question Is:

Where should I Connect Those Hoses? I Think that isn´t Good Idea to Connect them each other, Because I Think that the Left-Right air shooting, will blow some Gasket, seal or Someting. Also the Mid Engine one has a t Adaptor in it, who makes a Sort of PCV Valve in the Air Filter Box. Suckin air from one extrem, and blowing from another... You Know. But I am Still Confused.

The Weber 32/36 got in it´s air filter box, Just ONE open hose receipt. I was thinkin to connect both the Left and the Right between, and then the Mid Engine one directly to the Weber´s Air Box Filter. but I Dunno...

Please!...

...Answer How you guys Did in this case? or if there is anithing else I don´t Know.

Thanx A Lot!

#2 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

You can use 1/2 inch plastic tees to connect them all together. The final one should go into your air cleaner housing- there's a knockout and a plastic elbow included in the kit for that purpose. So when you're done you'll have a breather tube from each valve cover connected with the PCV valve and plumbed into the air cleaner.

#3 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

First of All: Thanx a lot for your answer. :)

Wich PCV? the K731 Redline Weber Kit, Just Came with one Small Nipple to insert it in the Air Cleaner Box (Down) and No PCV at All.

I can Figure to Connect the three hoses each other with a sort of X adapter, and the Open one should go straight to the Air Filter? Question: Is There a Backfire or retrofeed or something bad between the inter-connected Hoses?

Thanx for your Answer again. :)

#4 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

On the back of the intake, below the carb, there is a PCV valve. That's the one you described as coming from the middle of the engine. On each valve cover there is a breather tube. You connect all of those together with a tee, and then use another tee to connect to the nipple that came in your kit.

#5 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:20 AM

O.K., Thank you so much. I will interconnect them all and then plug them to the Air Filter Cleaner. Do you have any Photo images of this procedure? or the Link to them? I say that because I have a little confusion in the Mid-Engine Hose. I seems to be no PCV in it, just the Hose, and I just want to be sure that there will not be suction between left and right valves... you know. Thank you. :)

#6 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:25 AM

Follow the hose to where it ends. You will find a PCV valve in the back of the intake manifold. If you still want pictures, let me know and I'll take some after work.

#7 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

Thank you so Much. I Will go now to see my Sub´s Hose if there is a PCV... and then I will go to buy some new hose and tees etc. to do that. I will reply afternoon. Bye!. :)

#8 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:18 PM

got a bigger picture of that yellow wagon in your avatar?

#9 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:00 PM

First of All... Yes, I Got more Pictures. The Yellow One is my ER27 Six Cilinder Loyale wagon; and the White One is the EA82 Four Cilider Loyale Too. For more Details, see this Link. It started Everything...

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=51053

...Well, with the Weber, the EA82 is Running So Good! :burnout: But I want to Connect the Open Hoses the Hitachi Leaved. I Mean Just the Hoses from each Valve Cover and the PCV Valve. (3)

I Have noted that the Mid-engine hose (The PCV One) only SUCKS all the Time (Literally) and both valve cover hoses, sucks a Li´l Bit.

Now I will joint both valve cover Hoses in one TEE, and I will Attach the Mid-engine hose to Another Tee. Then I will Joint the Valve Cover Hoses open end tee, to one of the two remaining open ends of the Mid-engine Tee, and the only one open end that remains alone, I will connect it directly to the Weber´s Air Filter Box. I Think it will work Fine. but Tell me:

• Will the Mid-Engine Hose (PCV) Suck Oil from the Valve Cover Hoses?
  • Is there any problem near or future with this Config.?
Please. Answer this As Soon As Possible. Thank you So Much. Best Regards.

#10 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

That would be the correct configuration. You might want to make sure your PCV is working properly. Take it out and shake it. If it rattles, it's fine. If not, replace it. The PCV will suck oil and gas fumes from the engine.

#11 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

So where are the pictures? I'd like to see how the factory fit the ER27 into the wagon's engine compartment.

#12 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

Here's a couple pics on how I did mine. Yes, the Weber is on backwards, but I wanted it that way... Would've worked for you also, less problems with power steering pump.

In this pic, you can see where the PCV valve is located and the hose coming off it. Look just below the choke housing. Click on pic to make it bigger.
http://photobucket.c...ppedlinkage.jpg

In this pic, you can see how I used the factory Tee on the PCV hose, and one of the valve cover hoses. I then ran a smaller hose to the opening in the air filter base plate.
http://photobucket.c...t=Weberized.jpg

Check your local auto parts stores for a small air filter unit. You should be able to find one that has a hose fitting on it. This will fit into the free end of the other valve cover hose. Sorry, no pic of that filter, didn't have one at the time pic was taken. Look at the jack and you can see the other valve cover hose just hanging there.

Yes, I have the hoses run backwards from what the factory ones where, but it don't make any difference. You just want to move air thru the engine, direction of flow doesn't matter, just as long as it does flow..

#13 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:35 PM

Here's the picture of mine. I've run it like this since I put the Weber on 70,000 miles ago.

Attached Files

#14 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:39 AM

O.K. Thanx for your Answers...

Last Night, I have done This: First of All, I Plug the Left and the Right Valve Cover Hoses in a 5/8 Tee. Then I Plugged the Open End to Another 5/8 Tee, which is connected one open end to the PCV valve (Mid-Engine) Hose, and the Last remaining open end, to the Air Filter Box of the Weber.

Soon I Will put here Pics of That. but now I have some Pics of the "Weberized" Process of the EA82:

http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber1.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber2.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber3.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber4.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber5.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber6.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber7.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber8.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...baru/Weber9.jpg
http://i11.photobuck...aru/Weber10.jpg

O.K. This is the Entire Process since the Redline Weber Kit K731 Came here, the Installation Proccess, and the Running EA82 Weberized :)

I Only want to say that if there is any Subie Owner afraid to do the Weber Conversion, that Forget the Hitachi, Trow it Away and "Weberize your Sub" :headbang: Believe me: is Far Away Better the Response of the Subaru EA82 with the Weber, than with the CrapTachi... :slobber: ...and I tell you that properly, because my Family owns this Sub since New, in 1985. so I really KNOW how it Was, and How it Is. but as a compliment, I put in a accel Super Stock Coil, that delivers 45,000 Volts. :eek: And special four point Spark Plugs. (BERU)

Also I want to Tell you that the Loyale ER27 Was NOT in Stock here, It was a Part of the operation "Pimp my Sub" that I have Done to my Other Sub. but That... "Is Another Story" :)

I will submit Photos of the Joint of the Hoses by Afternoon. Bye.

#15 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:36 PM

O.K. Well...

Here there Are the Links to the Photos of my Hose Config. Please: Help Me, Telling me if that is Good or Wrong.

I just want to Tell that with this config. I can hear a Little Metallic Sound, like a Very Speedy Rattle, just between the 750 and the 1200 RPM´s.:slobber: it scares me!, maybe one Head is "Suckin´" another... You Know... Please tell me if this is Good:

http://i11.photobuck...berHoses-01.jpg

http://i11.photobuck...berHoses-02.jpg

http://i11.photobuck...berHoses-03.jpg

Thank you so Much! :) I´ll be Waitin´

#16 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:12 PM

Yep - that's pretty much how most of us have it.

Idea is basically to allow the engine to breath, and make sure that any air it takes in goes through a filter. You can do this by putting filters on each valve cover, and on the PCV, but it's easier for most of us to just use the filter we already have.

Looks good to me - I have the same setup, and no oil consumption or strange effects from it. If you look hard at the stock routing, you'll see that it's the same idea - just with the addition of a passive carbon canister to capture gasses.

GD

#17 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:11 PM

O. K. ...

It means that my Config is Right. Thank you So Much. :)

The Only thing I wanna Know is if the Metallic Sound that I Hear between 750 / 1200 RPM´s is a "Normal" Rattle of the PCV or if that sound is something Wrong. it Started with the Hoses Config.

Thanx a Lot. Bye... :)

#18 dxrflyboy

dxrflyboy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Canterbury

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:31 AM

If the rattle is coming from the PCV valve (grab the valve and you feel a vibration) then it's normal. Not all of them will do it, but some will and there isn't much you can do about it besides experiment with different PCV valves until you find one that doesn't make noise.

#19 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

O.K. ... Thank You. I Think that the Noise is not Harmful for my Engine, so I decide to leave it like that.

And, for all of you that wanted to see more Images of my Loyales (the White EA82 and The Yellow ER27), there goes some of them:

and Yes!, my Avatar is my Yellow Subie... This is a Larger Images of it, as Subarian Asked for them:

I made this Wallpaper last year, Now is my Avatar Image:
Posted Image

This is the Image of the ER27 Engine in the Loyale´s Hood... It was taken some time ago, and it was pretty unfinished yet....

Posted Image

Mixed Images of the Dashboar as seen By Daylight and Night time.
Posted Image

...Here, just Parked Somewhere in Time...

Posted Image

Here, parked Outside of the Dealer. I was searchin´ for the Rear Struts. You can See the Baja, and inside lays the Outback H6 3.0, and one Impreza. They also sells another Chinese Brand cars...

Posted Image

Anotha´ Wallpaper with my "Twins"
Posted Image

...:)...

Thank you all for your Kind Help.

:) ...Bye... :)

#20 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:20 PM

Hi! I think that I have a Li´l Update to this Thread:

Do you remember that the original Subaru bolts, on the Intake Manifold that sustained in place the original craptachi carb, (About 1/4" - 6mm) did went too loose to sustain the first of the two adaptor plates of the Weber 32/36 firmly on the intake?

That issue with the time, did end on the situation of the engine breathing from UNDER the Carb... specially when engine is at normal temperature of use.

I did noticed it because when the engine got hotter, the idle speed became more higher... from 700 RPM´s (Cool) to 1,500 RPM´s (Hot). So I did sprayed Carb. Cleaner around the weber, and detected that the thin Subaru Bolts, didn´t catch the first plate correctly; specially because the wide of the first plate adaptor holes, that are about 5/16" (8mm)... This situation did ended with a "Dancing" Weber :banana: on my Engine... movin´ with my hands about 3/16" side by side... Enough to make air get in... :confused:

This Pics, Shows how the Intake Originally was:
Posted Image

So I did take it off to see how I can fix this odd situation permanently, Specially due to the Fact that here, I drive mostly in Dusty (I Mean VERY Dusty) Roads (Muddy when it Rains...) See this Pic:

Posted Image

I did sent the Intake to a Friend, who works at a industrial metalworks factory, where I asked him to remake the Original Subie threads, to fit the Weber adaptor Original Screws (From about 1/4" to about 5/16" - 6mm to 8mm)
Posted Image

also I asked him to restore the flatness of the Intake.
See this pics:

Posted Image

Here, you can see how the Weber Screws did fit perfectly on the Subie´s Intake:

Posted Image

And how was the Reinstall procedure was Done, with the Weber Screws, that are designed to match perfectly the First Plate of the Weber Adaptor, First:

Posted Image

Then, the second plate:

Posted Image

And Then, the Carb, I have done a little modification to it, due the fact that the Choke did hit the Power Steering Pump, but here in the Tropic, we don´t need a choke, never. Also I did install on it the original Subaru´s Accelerator Cable Plate (Taken From the Craptachi) plus the part of it that works with the Air Conditioner Accelerator Activator, that works great too... See:

Posted Image

So All did End in this Way :) :

Posted Image
(Yes: Those are my Own Bare Hands :grin: )

So, I did this post as a complementary of the last ones on this thread; just as a second part of the Story... but I did it Just for Help. I think that this maybe can help at least with Ideas to all of you in the same situation.

Thank you all... :)

Best Regards.

#21 gemery10

gemery10

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Lismore

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:41 AM

Funny you should say that as you replied to me about finding the wrong size threads in my adaptor , saying I had the wrong kit,lol. I ended up drilling and tapping 8mm threads.

#22 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

Funny you should say that as you replied to me about finding the wrong size threads in my adaptor, saying I had the wrong kit,lol. I ended up drilling and tapping 8mm threads.

So S:orry about that...

I did the Weber conversion on the first days of February 2006, and I did this 8mm Drillin´work, about two days ago... (April 5, 2006) ...So, I still think that you and I did not get the wrong kit; basically the only wrong thing on it, are the size of the screws... Then I was thinkin´ that maybe it works good with the thinner screws... it was workin´ good for me then...

But I Really think that Weber guys did want us to drill the Intake holes to use the included thicker screws, because other way it won´t work properly. (Just see the Size of the Holes on the Adaptor Plate)

Also I think that they at weber did not say anything about this to their costumers (or Potentially Costumers) Just to Not Scare Out Them, because people who buys adaptor kits, are searchin´ for "Easy done Things", you know... just "Plug & Play" (As in Computers... really means "Plug & Pray") ´cos usually they don´t wanna do all this required work to properly fit it.

Well...

Thanx.

#23 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

I forgot to Post the "Final" Pictures, about how my White EA82 Loyale Wagon`s Engine looks Like with the Weber:

Posted Image

Posted Image

my White EA82 Loyale Wagon (Now Repainted)

Posted Image

Both my Wagons (Old Photo)

Posted Image

Well... finally: I hope that this thread can help anyone to do it`s Weber Conversion... I Highly Suggest that... My Subie Never felt this Good.

Thank you All for your kind help...

Best Regards. :)

JesZeK (Loyale 2.7 Turbo)

#24 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:06 PM

I just Wanna Add here That I`m Very VERY Happy with the Weber :) the EA82 works better than new... :brow:

...Even in Cold Weather.

I was Afraid `cos I have to Remove the Entire Choke (Not Only the Electric Coil) off my Weber, `cos it was Hiitin` the Power Steerin` Pump, (Also I have to cut the half of the Head of one bolt, located on the Pump`s Rear... it was Hittin` the Adaptor Plate) but Surprising me, the EA82 Starts and Drives Inmediately durin` cold Weather Without Choke :eek: And here last week we Just got around 5º Celcius Degrees by Night / 15º by day...

Maybe it isn`t too Cold for People who Lives in Places where Snows; but Here in the Middle of the Caribbean, It Is Cold! :D ...

The Craptachi Never did That... I Love My Weberized EA82!

Posted Image

:headbang:

#25 Singlecoil

Singlecoil

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Eatonville

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

Thank you very much for resurrecting this thread. I've decided to buy the Weber today and put it on my '86 EA-82 (no power steering so that'll be easy).

I am a little leery about drililng and tapping in the 8mm screws as I have never done machine work like that. Is is absolutely necessary?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users