Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright guys, check this out. And if you can give me advice on what i should do.

Nov' 05: Front right Caliper pin changed, 2 new rotors on front, and new pads. $175

March 2nd' 06: Right Caliper REPLACED, Rotors changed, and new pads......I was told this was the end of it. $336

NOW: The left rotor is steaming when the snow hits it. And i touched it (dumb idea) and burnt my fingers. The right side is just warm.

Does the left side sound to you like it needs to be replaced? This car is good, its just that in the last three months all the sudden everything is going wrong. What should i do!?!?!

Thank you for any and all help

Thomas

Alright guys, check this out. And if you can give me advice on what i should do.

Nov' 05: Front right Caliper pin changed, 2 new rotors on front, and new pads. $175

March 2nd' 06: Right Caliper REPLACED, Rotors changed, and new pads......I was told this was the end of it. $336

NOW: The left rotor is steaming when the snow hits it. And i touched it (dumb idea) and burnt my fingers. The right side is just warm.

Does the left side sound to you like it needs to be replaced? This car is good, its just that in the last three months all the sudden everything is going wrong. What should i do!?!?!

Thomas

Didn't you have bearings replaced or something? Could the brake lines have gotten twisted or misrouted??? Very strange. maybe the master cylinder has gunk in it and pressure is being kept in the lines somehow - i dunno.

Carl

well my rear brakes did this same thing and when I replaced the master cylinder it didn't help but it seemed that after I regressed everything it made it better however I’m still waiting for parts to replace other things and finally drive without worrying about it.

This sure sounds like a classic case of seizing calipers because the brake fluid flush and replacement schedule of every three years was neglected. Brake fluid absorbs water from the air and lays in the low spots of the calipers for one. Then they start to rust the piston in place over time. Then one day you step on the brakes and the piston moves, you stop, but the piston can't rebound back into the caliper all the way when you lift your foot ... and the brake pads on that wheel drag on the rotor ... hot rotor burns you. The fix is to pop out the piston, clean off the rust on it and in the caliper bore with fine 0000 steel wool. If it is too far gone ... replace the caliper. If it cleans up well with no visible pitting on the piston, clean and lube it well with brake fluid, and reinstall. Obviously, then the entire system should be flushed of the old fluid and new fluid bled through all fittings at the wheels. Good Luck!

Thomas

I wouldnt jump to conclusions. Brakes get hot, that is how they work. The convert mechanical energy to heat from friction. Brakes can get extreemly hot, In automotive terms, heat to make steam is a low temperiture. A single stop can make brakes that hot from speed.

Only way to tell is to get the wheels off and have the brakes inspected. You should learn how to do your brakes yourself. There are times that a shop would sell you a caliper then take the time to replace/clean the sliders.

nipper