Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 valve adjustment, no threads?

But the question I still have is the valve adjustment on a 99 2.2 going to be shims or screw type adjusters? It sounds like you know your way around a Subaru engine so any help you could give me I would appreciate.

No problem Greg - Subaru uses only two types of solid lifter arrangments on their EJ series engines. The type used depends on if the engine is SOHC or DOHC. Being that all 2.2's were SOHC - they all use the screw-style adjusters. DOHC engines use either a bucket/shim arrangement or shimless buckets ('04+ IIRC) because the cams ride directly over the top of the valve stems instead of there being rockers with a screw adjuster and a single cam centrally located between the intake and exhaust valve banks.... There simply is no room for the screw-style of adjustment on the DOHC engines.

GD

"What it will get you" is this;

Possibly slightly better performance, if any of the rockers are out of tolerance.

Quieter engine, for the same reason.

Most importantly, peace of mind- because this is the best defense against a burned exhaust valve.

As valve faces and seats get worn, exhaust valves may not seat completely, thus a burned valve- then pull head and valve job.

If your 99 is a phase 2 2.2 it can be done from above. I have done it that way on an Impreza. Just takes a little contortion.

grossgary and GD,

THANKS!

Now I know the garage that quoted me $1200 for a leakdown test and a valve adjustment (because the engine had to be pulled to do it) was, lets see, full of CRAP!

goof_ball was kind enough to email the PDF of the shop manual on this procedure so with his PDF and your comments I am all set.

eppoh, I think jacking the car up is a little easier than trying to contort this old out of shape body! :-)

Who knows, maybe in 2016 somebody may bring this thread back. Until then, may "searches" find it useful.

Edited by Subarunation 713

I think jacking the car up is a little easier than trying to contort this old out of shape body! :-)

Who knows, maybe in 2016 somebody may bring this thread back. Until then, may "searches" find it useful.

Hey,

Depending on the car and how many wheels you have off the ground...you may be able to put the car in gear and roll the motor over via the tire, with your foot, hand, head:)

Doug

Edited by Quidam

• 5 years later...

grossgary and GD,

THANKS!

Now I know the garage that quoted me $1200 for a leakdown test and a valve adjustment (because the engine had to be pulled to do it) was, lets see, full of CRAP!

goof_ball was kind enough to email the PDF of the shop manual on this procedure so with his PDF and your comments I am all set.

eppoh, I think jacking the car up is a little easier than trying to contort this old out of shape body! :-)

Lets bring it back! 

I am having a misfire on my 1996. It happened a few weeks back and I cleared the codes and reset the battery and it went away.  Now its back!

I am going to check it out tomorrow to inspect plugs, wires, coils etc. hoping I dont have burnt valves!