Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cant find rims to save my life. **FOUND EM!**

TheSubaruJunkie

Ive been looking for 14" rims in 6lug for quite some time now. Im trying to avoid buying brand new rims cause the selection out there is kinda lame. Unless i want basic 8 spoke steels, theres not much out there in the way of 14" rims.

What im really looking for are some Dodge D50 rims. Something like this:

stl65657u.jpg

I spent the day at 4 different junkyards... and every truck in every yard was rimless. What gives?!? IS there some type of rim junkie out there snatching up all the rims out there? I asked a guy at one of the yard if there's a place that sells used rims, but he was no help.

I also stopped at les shwab, but their selection sucks! Anybody have a lead on some 14" 6lugs out there that wont break my bank?

Thanks

-Brian

Brian, keep your eyes open for used tire and wheel dealers, they may even be listed in your phonebook.

IIRC, there were several of those kinds of dealers in the Bay Area, mainly Oakland and some in San Jose (none in Pleasanton;)). I vaguely remember seeing one over by the Carson City PnP awhile back (haven't been over there lately), can't recall exactly.

junk yards that i deal with tell me they usually scrap out the rims unless they are ones that are money makers. you can always ask if they will hold you a set the next time they get one of thise rigs in, give them your phone number so they can call you. i did that on some subaru stock white spoke rims but i did take a month or 2 as i recall.

Do you want 14" rims because they should be the right offset and fit the kumho's or other 27" tires? I thought you could get 27" for 15" rims in M/T and A/T? Here is Aus their are quite a few 14" rim'ed utes/trucks. I have a set of standard Nissan 6 lug wheels that have great offset. But you can also get 15" wheels with good offset, I got these off ebay.com.au, they are 15"/6" superlites with the same offset as the 14's I have. They used to be on a Ford Courier.

But seems we have more small trucks here in Aus I guess it would be easier to find 6 lug 14"s here. You Americans and your over sized vehicles..... Thank god for you subie drivers!

Phiz... i wanna use 14" to keep the wieght down, and cause I already have three useable 205/75R14 tires I will be using as spares. I already have my tires picked out... im going with 205/75R14 Kumho Venture MT's. They dont offer 27" in R15 for the kumho. Yes, you can find 27" at's for R15 but MT's for R15 are harder to find. Unless you go with Swampers or something... which im not willing to do.

I posted a thread on LuvTruck.com and got a few replies. I really like the style of the Chevy Luv 14" rims, hopefully I can end up with a set soon.

-Brian

I did the alloy thing on my last rig. I had to wheel all cautious like cause I was always affraid I'd come down on a rock and shatter a rim. This hatch will be seeing alot more granite/rock and I will be wheelin it like it was stolen! I would rather bend a rim than break a rim.

I will have alloys for my street tires tho. But thats a whole 'nother paycheck in a whole 'nother month.

-Brian

Ahh, ok Junkie. I did notice that the M/T's weight a lot versus road tires, and it also maybe a huge difference to performance going to lighter tires. I still run my M/T's offroad, but now I have the 15" mags for onroad.

I would not use alloy's offroad... It's just craziness! Steelies FTW.

I tell ya what. I have some 10" suzuki steelies. You can just about juggle them. Although I think your tire choice would be a little small for those!

Well, i just finalized the deal and paid for my rims!! :banana:

$125 to have four Chevy Luv rims sent to me from Medford Oregon. They are identical to this style here:

croptire.sized.jpg

It will be a few weeks before I can afford the tires for them... but it will give me time to drill them and paint them. I cant wait!!!

-Brian

Hey Brian, red spray paint...

I found the paint I used on my red hatchback that happened to match the factory color perfectly. It was Duplicolor "candyapple red T-208" found at Schucks etc. For under the hood I used plain old Rustoleum "red." That stuff was also a good match but was cheaper and had a nice finish without sanding.

Hope yer wheels come out good.

ps: I had a set of those wheels w/ Khumos. Cool wheels. Wish I kept 'em.

Awesome, thanks Mike. I may have to paint some fenders too... so i will definatly go get me some of that paint.

Im also gonna be getting the Kumho's for these rims. Maybe I should install my WRX scoop and make a twin of your Hatch? :) Do you still have that thing? Any chance we'll see it at this years show?

-Brian