Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Arg, Farking Lift Bolts!

TheSubaruJunkie

So i put the front half of my lift in on saturday, started doing the rear on sunday and got fed up when i found my new shocks need modifications to fit. That, and it was 120 in my garage, and i didnt feel like roasting all day.

So today, i called in sick so i can finish the rear of the lift. I drop the rear suspension and put the lift blocks in place, come to find the bolts for my lift blocks (the 4 front, not the 2 for the diff hanger) are too short. WTF!! These worked on my wagon? Im wondering if maybe i used the bolts on the front that I should have used on the rear. But the front has 6 blocks, and im almost positive all 6 bolts were the same length... all 4 i have for the rear are... and they only stick out of the block by maybe 2 or 3mm, clearly not enough to thread into the frame.

So I drove to Ace hardware, found a bolt I thought would work. Bought 4, came home to find out they are standard fine thread and are a hair too big. ARRRGH!!! Took them back, went to O.S.H, they dont have 12mm metric that are long enough. Neither did ace, and neither did Napa. Just great! Now Im gonna go out and remove the blocks from the front of the car and see if maybe i put the longer bolts on the front that I should have used on the rear.

-Brian

Ok, so i pulled one bolt from the front block... and there's no way I could have mistakenly used the rear for the front. The front bolts are only about 4" long, whereas the rear bolts are like 6 or 7" long.

So now im stumped... why is it these worked on the wagon but not the hatch? Both are '84 model years, i cant imagine things would be any different.

-Brian

Got some pix of some stuff. There are 2 rubber bushings bolted to the front of my torsion assembly. Not sure if this was there on my wagon or not, but there are bolts I can use to remove them. I know if I remove them, it will make the clearance i need to use these bolts.

Im wondering if this is something Subaru added for hatches for some odd reason... here are the bushings in question:

DSC00892.jpg

and

DSC00890.jpg

One bushing is mounted to the underside of the torsion bar. That im not worried about... but the bushing on the rear of the torsion bar is bolted to the top. Im worried if I remove that, i will loose the inch it adds and will screw up the mounting of the torsion bar assembly itself.

Anybody have any insight on this? Here's the problem im facing:

DSC00893.jpg

-Brian :banghead:

it has to be the bolts. if they only stick 2-3mm through the block, it's got nothing to do with the vehicle....

edit: I started this before you posted the pics....

I'd keep trying to find a place to get new bolts....

how long, and what pitch? 12mm right?

I have a local place I can check....

Yeah rearward side... i got a buddy checking his '84 wagon to see if they have these bushings or not. If anything I could just wait till tomorrow and find a supplier through work. But i'd really like to get them today so i can get this lift done... and feel like ive acomplished something. I did take the day off to do this, would hate to have wasted a perfectly good 8hr working day on nothing.

If anyone else is readin this, could you mind checking your torsion bar assembly for these bushings?

-Brian

on this block you could double bolt it , meaning use your stock bolt plus some washers and bolt the block up to the body, then use some other bolts and bolt the torsionbar to the block

nope, this block will have a inner tube welded in for support.... I suppose you could grind it out though.....

The metal is so thin, i'd be affraid the block would collapse without the center bar as a support.

I want to thank Jeremy (subieman) who went and took these pix for me. These are the same bushings on a '84 Wagon... i guess they are different for hatches!

P1040334_Medium_.JPG

and

P1040336_Medium_.JPG

I think im just going to remove them alltogether and see what happens.

-Brian

Well, i dont think removing the bushing is gonna work. I went and looked at my frame, and it seems the rear of the frame is tucked up an inch, and that bushing is there to compensate for it. I wipped up alittle pic to show what im talking about:

bar.jpg

So, if i remove that bushing, and place a 3" block there... the torsion bar will sit 1" higher in the rear and im sure its going to tweak something in the near future. Have you hatch guys had to get a different kit from PK when you lifted your rigs? I cant be the only one to have run into this problem, and i dont remember PK mentioning anything different between hatch and wagon lifts.

Im about to contact him, as I need to know what the thread pitch is on the bolts used. Looks like im going to have to order some new bolts.

-Brian

SUBIEMAN COMES THROUGH YET AGAIN!! Thanks a million Jeremy!!

From this shot, it appears the wagon and the hatch are the same in the way they bolt... meaning, the frame appears to match that of my hatch:

P1040342_Medium_.JPG

I guess im just gonna go do it... Still wondering if any other hatch guys have had this problem at all.

-Brian

Brian,

This happened to Zap on one of his five kits, lol.

I dunno, maybe once in a while the Subes are weird, so now I ship longer bolts for those four and include extra washers to ensure they fit all.

I have some 140mm bolts I can get to you in a couple days.

Sit back and have a beer, and I'll USPS Priority them to you.

r/ PK

Easy fix (and the way all my block are) is to visit your local metal supermarkets (it's a chain) and have 4 blocks cut from 1/4" wall 2x4 channel. Then you can double bolt it with no fear of the block collapsing. Block are about $5 each, and they will cut them for you in about 10 minutes.

It actually makes the lift cheaper due to not having the added cost of the super long bolts. Short bolts are a LOT cheaper.

The intricate design of the thin-wall tubing, and the center support is fine, but not neccesary for a subaru. It adds to the build labor, and to the cost for the bolts needlessly. The 1/4" wall stuff is so insanely strong.... I have never come even close to bending one, and neither has anyone else I've been out with. Even 5 or 6 inch blocks are solid with 1/4". Even if you did manage to need extra support, there is plenty of room on the blocks to weld sides over the openings and leave a slot in the center to get the bolts in and out. Plus the shorter bolts don't tend to work loose nearly as much.

GD

Problem has already been solved Rick, no need to go running around trying to get metal blocks cut. I could do all that, but i already have these blocks. They are already drilled and ready for installation. As soon as I get the 140mm bolts, the rig will be done and ready to roll.

-Brian