Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to get

newsoobdude

Sorry, I'm a noob here and to Subarus, but I was wondering about the BEST year of all the Brats. I have access to six (yes 6) Brats of various years and conditions and other body styles as well. My plans are an EJ swap, 6 inch Lift and playing in the snow. I'd eventually like to do a bigger (8 inch) lift and put the 720 'case under it, but that is when I have more $$$$. What things should I look at when picking (besides having a manual tranny) out one besides rust? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Also, where do I find replacement parts for the suspension/ drivetrain besides a junkyard? And last, has anyone ever lowered or know where to get a kit to lower an 80's/ early 90's Sube?

welcome to the Club.

if you are looking for an offroad truck. go with the 1982-1987 gen 2 style brats. they are much much easier to mod, get parts for, and are more durable. they also have the d/r tranny with better gearing than the earlier models. they are also alot easier to swap a ej22 into.

82-87 brats are generally identical. the only things that are noticably different are the grills, and interiors.

things to look out for? basically like you said RUST!! and previous wreck damage. clutch, axles, maybe interior condition. tailgates and doors are a pain to find.

everything else is a breeze to fix, most parts can be bought from your local auto parts store, or junk yard. the engine and tranny are easy (usually cheap) to replace. axles are notorious to go bad. oil leaks and engine ticking is normal.

lowering, well, that'd be up to you. kits are available for lifting, but i`ve never seen lowering kits besides the old coil locks:grin: you can also cut a few coils off your old springs and crank down the rear torsion bar.

if you buy a brat, would you mind taking pics of the other 5 and letting us know where they are so they can all be saved?

take care,

Jon

I will have to ask the gentleman first for his permission, and if possible grab pics of all his soobs (he's got a few). As for location.... good ol NorCal. By the way, I've only seen as big as a 4/3 lift for the EA81. Does anyone actually make a 6" for the 81 or am I into custom territory w/o realizing it? If so, how hard is it REALLY??? I'd prefer all suspension or 2" body lift MAX.

Try to get the least beat up one. The older ones come with the side steps, the newer ones dont... so TECHINCALLY.... only the ones with the sidesteps (came with stock jumpseats) are legal to put jumpseats back into... something to consider if you want to ever go that route. With the lift, trust me that little step is nice. 82's have a factory 3rd eye in teh grille, but the newer ones have the 4 headlight design which looks better and white guages and auto off headlights.

It really comes down to.... get the one with the least rust.

Subaru lifts will be all body. Its actually hard to explain, its a hybrid suspension/body lift, but its not like a truck lift that you maybe used to.

4/3" is pretty much bolt on. 6" and higher and you need to start modifying things like shift linkages, drivelines, reinforce different parts of the car. IF your planning on installing a 2nd transfer case, you will need 6 to 8" of lift and a sub frame. Hope you can weld.

Also, hurry and get the project complete so I got someone else to wheel with!

-Brian

UPDATE-

Well I went and talked to the gentleman today about his Subies and he's gonna make me a list of ALL the Subie stuff he's willin' to let go of. I know he's got one Brat he's parting out (got rearended by an RV :( ) a 78 and 79 Brat, one locked up 84? Brat, and an 86 w/ shell besides the 85 I might get as well as an 84 Wagon. He has more wagons and an 84?GL and engines and trannies as well as misc. other goodies (including a Turbo Wagon and other Turbo blocks:brow: ).

Also, where can I find patch panels for the 85 Brat for the passenger rear quarter behind the wheelwell opening? I cannot figure out how to post pictures w/o them already being on a web page and they are not, nor will be due to the fact that I don't have nor want one. Soon, people, soon I will have my projects and get them DONE:headbang: Subieman- No, I'm up in them thar hills, not valleys, SE of SacTown

Those pannels you speak of are not really replaceable, well not in a "bolt on" fashion.

You could cut out a section of another Brat and weld it on. Or you may be able to pull the dents out , use a little bog, glass, and see what you can get.

For pictures, use photobucket most people say. I just use my website.

Ah, you out in the Rancho Marietta area?

Really need a set of good EA81 struts. Anything off a brat would work, or any EA81 wagon.

-Brian

No, I live in Jackson.:horse: As for the struts, I'll pull them next weekend and make me an offer. They will be coming off of a Brat. Just found out my friend ALSO has a 85 Hatch 2wd auto in Stockton he needs to get rid of, only down sides being the speedo got oiled up and there are NO shox. But as for myself, I'll be picking up the Wagon instead of the Brat for now and possibly the 83 2door 2wd auto if I can find a way to convert it into an Impreza style canyon carver and convert to AWD w/a EJ20T & 5speed :headbang: :headbang: