Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX 911 calling all experts

Help......The cars been running good till last night. We got on the freeway,hit the gas and started jetting,(i was stepping on it hard, 7lbs of boost,6000 rpm),got up to about 70,and then when I let out of the throttle and shift into 5th it started to grumble,then 5th on the gas, lost almost all powe, cluncked and slowly crapped out to its resting place.I stunk like a battery fire or something strong.

Here is what we checked before we towed it home.

1 spark yes

2 timing belt broken No

3 fuel filter ok and engine is getting fuel.(out of the filter atleast)

4 flapper M.A.F.senser looked ok.

Is it a fuel pressure prob? cause it acts just like a carbby thats out of gas.

could it have jumped time?

When we tried to start it and it was not a happy or a smooth wrewrewrewrewrerwewre,when it turned over.it was hopping and kicking a little. after all 15 minutes of trying it started 2 times very rough.

Then it did not like the throttle open. no response.

after several trys to start,it did,and I let I let it idle. then after 10/20 seconds it died.then would not start .

again,same thing again, 5 long tries to start and it starts idles smooth at 800rpms and i touch the throttle and it dies. please help.

I know some of you smarter ea82 turbo people have been there done that

So please fire away.

filter is pretty new.

not sure,How do I check that?.

I just charged the battery and tried it again. samething . Acts like its out of fuel. and the flap on the M.A.F, slaps randomly when I try to crank it over.

reminder, this thing ran pretty good other than having a constant light flutter.

changed the cap and rotor, ran better. then we got on the freeway and openend it up for under a mile and whammo we were crappin to a slow stop. help

Ok ill work on that,thanx for the come back. im frustrateded. 210008 mile when it happened.

does it matter/or make sense that when it crapped out it was working at

max cap?

could the fuel pump (pressure)explain the constant flutter or mild missing(not spark related).that ive been feeling the last 1000 miles.

p/s/ this is the 85 rx that I bought from Nug in V.A and was owned by MEEKYMOOSE on the board.

it ran good and strong with the exception of feeling like it needed a tune up. anyone else? And thanx for taking the time to help:confused: I think there was a ford fuel pump swap that improved performance. anyone know the thread ?

Ok,first of all,thanx for everybodys efforts.

Suberdave nailed it.a crudy designed rotor. set screw fell out.and what he stated first is so true in life situations as well."I maybe way off",to me translates to this.

What may be nothing can really be everything.

i sort of feel like a goob,cause i missed something so simple.

The mystery with the constant,always there flutter is anoying. even though it still runs good and strong.any ideas?:cool:

Thanx everyone:burnout:

Good luck on the "flutter", I have been chasing it on my 89 GL-10 for over a year! Some say coolant temp sensor, fuel pump, or TPS. I've had trouble codes for the disty, the MAF, O2 sensor and I've replaced all of them to no avail. Replaced the fuel pump with the ford unit which provides more pressure and twice the flow, added three more ground wires, for the engine, intake, and exhaust. Re sealed the turbo, replaced intake gaskets, timing belts, oil pump, water pump, pcv valve, complete tune up, etc, etc. And it is still there! Bad flutter or stumble under a load. Next step is replacing the ECM, injectors, and Knock sensor(if I can get one :rolleyes: )

Every time I have replaced or fixed something, it ran great for like a week, then back to the same flutter.

this may be way off, but pull the dist. cap and make sure the screw did not fall out of the rotor. this has happened to me. kinda felt like the fuel was running out.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

goddamn distys... I've had 4 of them come into my shop in the last month for that. Now thats the first thing I check when a car comes into the shop

i had a "flutter" issue on my NA gl-10 that sounded similar to what youre describing... when i parked the car at idle, i could just hear a minor spitting out the exhaust, like a kick of the engine.. and it got pretty well constant...

sorta like, if the typical idling exhaust note could be transcribed as a PbPbPbPbPbPb..... noise.. then my flutter was like a PbP*pf*PbP*pf*

I fixed it by discovering that the vacuum line going to the white accumulator for AC controls (and i believe maybe other things on soobs with different driveline) was diconnected. plugging the end of the line (from the motor, not the canister) fixed it, as did simply re-attaching it to the accumulator.

Maybe your accumulator is bad? My main point was, I had a minor vacuum leak that was auxiliary to the function of the motor. The vacuum line that was leaking did not go to anything controlling the motor istelf, so nothing like that was malfunctioning.. but there was still a constant loss of pressure.

nothing like a good old fashioned mechanic's stethoscope to trace down that flutter...

this may be way off, but pull the dist. cap and make sure the screw did not fall out of the rotor. this has happened to me. kinda felt like the fuel was running out.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

this situation happened to me last halloween and yours sounds just like it. got it towed and i fixed it in 20 minutes. stupid little screw

Nug,hows everything in v.a? we still feel we got a good deal from you,and for the $ its good cheap,fun transpo.:banana:we apreciate ya.and it 4x's killer

Probably will do an ej swap in the summer.and some other mods.Hopefully the info will be better and in one file.

And I will look into the vacuum leak.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Good luck on the "flutter", I have been chasing it on my 89 GL-10 for over a year! Some say coolant temp sensor, fuel pump, or TPS. I've had trouble codes for the disty, the MAF, O2 sensor and I've replaced all of them to no avail. Replaced the fuel pump with the ford unit which provides more pressure and twice the flow, added three more ground wires, for the engine, intake, and exhaust. Re sealed the turbo, replaced intake gaskets, timing belts, oil pump, water pump, pcv valve, complete tune up, etc, etc. And it is still there! Bad flutter or stumble under a load. Next step is replacing the ECM, injectors, and Knock sensor(if I can get one :rolleyes: )

Every time I have replaced or fixed something, it ran great for like a week, then back to the same flutter.

I have a working ECU, or ECM, from an 86 turbo ea-82. $45 shipped to you in the lower 48? PM me if interested.

Eh, I should have got this one also. It happened about 3mo ago to my RX.

I got around the corner from my house and it just died. I could start it, but it ran like crap. So bad that the DP got red hot from excess fuel being pumped down it. Sometimes its the simple ones that get yeah.