Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2007 Factory Subaru synthetic fluid manufacturer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

would anybody know who is the manufacture for the synthetic fluid ATF that now comes factory filled in all 2007 subaru's

#2 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

i have no clue but it would be a better idea to put this in the new gen forum this is the 80's forum

#3 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

probably mobil but.. im probably wrong since i never have seen mobile with atf.........

#4 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:15 AM

You might just call up the local dealer and ask for parts, they bottle should have the manufacturer on the back

#5 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

manufacture on the back of the bottle..that would be interesting to know if they give away any info for free..Thanks

You might just call up the local dealer and ask for parts, they bottle should have the manufacturer on the back

#6 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:17 AM

My vote is Castrol.

I'll ask my dealer...

#7 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

My vote is Castrol.

I'll ask my dealer...

Considering Subaru has a deal with castrol for the engine oil... I'd place a second vote that it is probably Castrol.

Keith

#8 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

the dealer in my town is rather small and new (One mechanic) also, they don' t have a bottle of the syn ATF on hand nor any other literature concerning it..the changes are all to new for them and probably will not have any atf for some time, since the 2007 subi's call for 100,000mi/160,000kil. fluid changes

My vote is Castrol.

I'll ask my dealer...

#9 ron917

ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

the 2007 subi's call for 100,000mi/160,000kil. fluid changes

Has Subaru gone to a "sealed" auto tranny like many other manufacturers have? I've seen them on Ford, VW and Chrysler products - you can't even check the ATF level without going to the dealer.

#10 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,651 posts
  • WV

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

you can't even check the ATF level without going to the dealer.

HA! BS! if someone else can do it, I can do it. i'm not up to date on this stuff but the "sealed" units aren't typically automatic transmission fluid related i don't think, i think it's other internal bits - like a manual trans center diff that may be sealed. but again i'm not up to date on the latest and greatest out there and am unsure what you're talking about. but...if they can do it at the dealer, it can be done elsewhere.

i stopped in and asked the dealer in atlanta what synthetic fluid they used in their LSD's and they showed me their stash of yellow Penzoil bottles just like you buy in the store.
why would you want to know this? it seems like it's on par with asking what brand gasoline the dealer uses.

#11 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

Sealed... My moms ml320 is sealed.. it just requires a little key thinggy to get off the dipstick cap... I got it off with my fingernail!!! and if that doesnt work... its subazall time zzz

#12 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

No they are not sealed, same dip stick and external filter which needs to be changed at the same time as the tranny fluid

Has Subaru gone to a "sealed" auto tranny like many other manufacturers have? I've seen them on Ford, VW and Chrysler products - you can't even check the ATF level without going to the dealer.

#13 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:01 PM

I can't answer your question of "why" I would like to know concerning the ATF without going into a long story.....But I do have a few words concerning Penzoil and what you saw..if that is what the dealer was putting in the customers cars, I can only hope that the people gave the OK to use this product and are informed..it is a good "short term" oil, but then again it could open up to many potential legal problems etc..for example Toyota,..thousands and thousands if not hundreds of thousands of their cars developed motor oil sludge.. many of the motors had to be exchanged including a friend of mine after I had told him about the potential sludge problem ...and many other owners had the warranties extended to the original owners..this happened in a smaller way with VW,GM, Chrysler.. the cheaper oils like penzoil and quaker state played a part in this problem because so many people were useing the "quik lube" places and also the dealerships offered the lower grade oils to the customer to be more competitively priced..in a nut-shell the cheaper brand oils only served to hasten in the "Extreme Service Recommendations" before their expected time (as we know, most of us exceed these limits which in turn only worsens the impeding problem) ...as far I understand and generally speaking..if your car was serviced at a quik- lube and had receipts to prove this..you were covered under the Toyota Warr. .. but if the car was serviced at the dealership and if the dealership put in a "non- sanctioned" oil with your Permission ..your problem was now to be worked out with the dealer....Oh how the lawsuits escalated into the millions of car owners . ..buyer beware..

HA! BS! if someone else can do it, I can do it. i'm not up to date on this stuff but the "sealed" units aren't typically automatic transmission fluid related i don't think, i think it's other internal bits - like a manual trans center diff that may be sealed. but again i'm not up to date on the latest and greatest out there and am unsure what you're talking about. but...if they can do it at the dealer, it can be done elsewhere.

i stopped in and asked the dealer in atlanta what synthetic fluid they used in their LSD's and they showed me their stash of yellow Penzoil bottles just like you buy in the store.
why would you want to know this? it seems like it's on par with asking what brand gasoline the dealer uses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users