Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy Outback Offroading plans

im wanting to put a 10" lift on my suby and im wanting to find out which 5-speed wiht hi-lo range transmission i can mount to my EJ25. also what are some mods i can do to increase the horsepower to 300. im also trying to find out which year(s) make(s) and model(s) of subies have solid front and rear axles that i can mount under my car. im wanting to go solid axles cause using a transaxle with a 10" lift puts too much strain on everything. im gonna have http://www.alliedarmament.homestead.com/SubParts.html make my lift kit along with the front bumper and rear bumper. if i have to install axles from another brand of vehicle to do it i will but i would rather get suby axles. im gonna have 35" tires on 2 sets of rims. 16x12 with negative offset with superswampers and 15x6 with negative offset with all-terrains. if you check out their site and goto the front bumper page and look at the maroon outback you will see the bumper i want. im also gonna have them weld on a brush guard and grill guard and have 2 tabs for kc lights. for pics of my subaru and other info on it go here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184403 let me know what yall think and if yall can answer any of my questions i have. thanks.

you better believe im gonna take pics. i also wanna have a camera mount on the dash board so i can mount a vid cam to record all of my adventures.

(edit) i just figured out a way to get the extra 6" that i need as to not put much strain on the transmission and rear diff. weld gear reduction boxes onto each wheel. then i can keep the ground clearence of about 25". do a gear ratio of about 8:7 where the top gear turns 8 times when the bottom one turns 7 times. then i can get the 10" of lift i need. im also gonna move the rear diff back about 8" to be able to allow the 35" tires to clear the wheel well. i may even do the gear ratio at 4:3. it all depends. im also later on gonna remove the rear seats and have a small roll cage welded on. im also gonna have the floor rhino lined and have cobra 5-point harness seats to replace the front seats. im also gonna weld the rear doors to the car and have a solid window installed on each door. the speakers are gonna be marine grade as well as the stereo. im also gonna put jeep style hinges on the front doors and move the speakers to the roof. im also taking out the air bags and having a heavier duty steering wheel to replace the stock one (maybe). i do know that im gonna change out the transmission to the 5-speed dual range and have a custom center consol made from steel or fiber glass. its also gonna be rhino lined along with the floor but will be removable incase i have to work on the transmission or linkage. doing all this allows me to keep it as subaru drivetrain. also having a gear reduction box allows me to climb easier. also allows me to turn the 35" tires easier. less strain on everything.

if you have any other ideas feel free to post them.

I might be wrong.. but i think AA stoped making Subaru stuff....

To get 300hp out of your stock EJ25, you're going to have alot of work ahead of you.. it's going to take a bit more than just a turbo... you need to upgrade your fuel rails, put a nice turbo in there (not a stock OB/GT turbo) get some up/down pipes going, you'll most likely also need to get it pro tuned... with an Access Port or something along those lines (i don't know if they make AP's for older Subarus).

Once you get the horsepower cranking, you're going to almost instantly start snapping halfshafts, like it's your job. That's why you said go solidaxle... that will have to be totally custom, because as much as i can remember, no subarus came stock with solid axles.

As for the dual range tranny, you'll need to find one, get an adapter plate (easy enough) and mount that all up, if you want solid axles, you're going to have to put a T-Case after the tranny... i'm pretty sure you might need a little more than 10" of lift to get a T-Case under there... not 100% sure on that either. But i am pretty sure that if you're trying to push 300hp through an EA Tranny... things are going to start to break very fast....

Have fun, hope you have a big welder, and alot of free time! ;)

Another subaru enthusiast dreaming!:rolleyes: It would be quit the sweet and unique rig. But a lot of what you want is somewhat improbable. No subaru ever came with solid axles so a frame swap would be best, or you could swap everything else under your car. It sounds really cool, but you better be a VERY WEALTHY person to build let alone maintain this rig. So keep dreaming!:headbang:

Realistically the problem with this is the amount of lift you want. If you look at the allied lift kit they stop at 4-6 inches. Most Subaru lift kits use blocks to lift the body off the entire suspension/drivetrain. That's a lot of machined blocks and it becomes impractical after a certain point. Keeping the Subaru suspension/drivetrain will limit the amount of lift and power that you can put through it. The only other way to get lift is to put in longer struts from another model (it's in this forum somewhere). Lifting an IFS correctly is so expensive and complicated that you see the serious off road guys cutting it out of their domestic trucks and installing solid front axles. I've seen all sorts of bodies put on to 4X4 pickup/suv chassis but then it's no longer the Subaru you want is it? I gotta admit though I've had dreams of a tube buggy with mounting points for a Subaru drivetrain and portal axles. That would leave all the room you want for tires (no body to speak off) and would keep big tire stress away from the drivetrain with gear reduction at the axles. Wouldn't be the Subaru you wanted anymore either. I did spend a long time wishing Honda would make a pickup and look what happened. So maybe if we all get together and wish??

DO A SEARCH...haha just playin'

Scorpion springs (decrease down travel of the strut which is less than ideal for offroading)

http://www.renickmotorsports.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=664&products_id=1220

GR-2

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Outback&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=&brand=all

This is prolly what I'll end up doing, simply because its the easiest, cheapest, and most available.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the help guys. When I get ready to lift my subie I will start from scratch with a salvaged body and the one I have now will be my boat puller. I'm going to get a STI engine and button it up to the EA82 dual range tranny. That will give me all the torque and hp I need to get the boat up any boat ramp. The one I lift will also be with a STI engine but I will swap out the turbo with an inline turbo and retrofit on a snorkel.

• 1 year later...