Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbocharger

I just ordered a new centersection from http://www.turbocity.com for my ea82 turbo. They said that they had the same listing for all Subarus from '85 - '94. Same part # for the centersection only. He called it an RHB5, is this correct?

Is it true that only the housings are different on a Legacy?

Thanks, I don't have time for them to ship the wrong one.

This is true, the center section is the same from the EA82's and the Legacy. This is whot makes the inbred so easy to make. You just swap the cold side from a Leg turbo unit to your turbo unit and you'll have a larger compressor without having to change the size of the exhaust turbine.

But Before I start to get off topic. Yes this is the right one for you.

Not really too much too it. You just remove your intake side housing and impellar from the EA82 turbo unit. Then you take the same matching pars from the Legacy unit and bolt it into your turbo. You get the larger compressor of the Legacy, but don't have to worry about making a new up-pipe or chaning flanges or anything. Plus you can push a little more boost than before, without changing the spool rate too much. Mind you it will change some, but not drastically. I've heard that you need to keep an eye out about some sorta offset, but I'm not sure of that, I'll talk to the guys that do it alot next week and get the details.

So, what are they asking for the center section? (E-mail me if you don't want to post it) Their web site has been under construction for some time now. I'd like to rebuild at least one of the turbos that I have laying around. I'm curious as to what all comes with the center section kit from them.

as far as what adam ndj said. thats not the best way to go about it, even though its the easiest and it will work, kinda.

you should just use the legacy center and put on the ea82 exhaust housing on it. otherwise your turbo is not balanced.

if you turn the little compressor wheel over, you can see where it was balanced, and if you swich parts around your turbo could crap out early, because it will be off balance.

There should be an o-ring for the compressor housing, there is no seal for the turbine housing.

BTW the center section is that same as the Legacy, so I don't know what you would be gaining there. It is the housings that are different, and change those is where you will get the difference in performance. If you have some idea of what type of performance you are looking for, the guys at Turbo City should be able to suggest the right housings for you.