Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aussie Hatch Questions

I am one of the very few people in Austrlia that own a 1983 2 door hatch back Leone. As some of you know... the 2 door hatch back was never released in Australia so i doubt there is more than about 6 here.

As you can imagine finding any help locally on such a rare car is almost impossible so i thought i would ask any questions i have in here.

Firstly... i can't get my head around the whole head light switching system. Over here in our wagons we have 2 head light settings on the switch (park lights and headlights). On my hatch however there is 3 settings. It has the same settings as our wagons but has one extra setting where if you push the switch in and turn it downward which appears to turn the park lights on.

This makes sence but the fact that the other 2 settings on the switch seamingly do the same thing doesn't make sence to me. Do i have faulty wiring?? or is there some difference in the settings that im not noticing?

Secondly... It looks like it has a fog light switch on the dash. Luckily, our Australian Subaru manuals for our wagons do show pictures of this switch and states it's for a rear fog light. I curently don't have a rear fog light but would like to install one... where can i find the wiring plug to wire one into?? is it at the back of the car some place?

Also everytime i flick on the fog light switch, the park lights come on but it blows the fog light fuse even though i have no fog lights. The park lights still stay on even after the fog light fuse has blown but the light on the switch goes out. Is this a common problem with the hatchs? Any idea where there fault could be?

Last question... i have 2 unexplained plugs located in the boot of the hatch... They are brown and both have 2 wires going to them. I have all my indicator lights and park lights accounted for but i was wondering what these last 2 plugs are for? Fog lights possibly? There is one on each side of the vehicle.

I appologise for the length of this post.

Thanks in advance for any feed back.

Dave

The headlight switch sounds like the same as the ones on our 1985 and newer Soobs. By pushing in and turning it, with the key off, you have parking lights.

As far as I know, there have never been any factory rear fog lights installed on US Soobs. It sounds like the wire to the fog lights might be making ground somewhere and blowing the fuse when turned on. The fog light might be part of the parking light circuit, or else making contact when it shouldnt.

The plugs in the engine bay are probably for testing a certain circuit. I dont know what circuits tho offhand.

Hope this helps. I've seen pics of your hatch, did you get the rear lights finished?

Rob

Thanks for the info..

I double checked the head light switching after i read your post... The normal switching still turns on the headlights and parklights even with the key off. Im thinking that maybe it was re-wired to gain australian complience. All cars here in Australia have the ability to turn on all the headlights (even high beam) with the car switched off. I think maybe it must be illegal for them not to over here.

My hatch is going great... only weeks from getting on the road. The tail lights have been a bit of a mission. I desided on putting sedan tail lights in instead of getting hatch ones sent over. I have one side just about finished and it looks better than i could have imagined. I will post pics soon.

After i have it registered i will be making you guys proud... i will be making it 4wd... lifting it 3 inches and putting my 27 inch tyres from my wagon onto it. Also i might add my bull bar from my wagon too. This will possibly make it the only 4wd lifted hatch in Australia. :banana:

I should be starting work on a new web page shortly outlining the whole project with what had to be done and the problems i faced. It should be interesting to everyone finding out all the small differences our wagons have to your hatches.

I have a few pictures on the net that most of you may not have seen. There are some of my wagon and a few of my hatch. They can be seen at the page below.

http://community.webshots.com/album/97034522wnqZpV

Thanks again for the input.

Dave

This rear fog light - it could be integrated into the tail lights. I know on newer cars, they have began adopting the european style of having the "rear fog light" just turn on the drivers side brake light solid. Maybe it's supposed to do that. Although the US models did not have that feature to my knowledge. Common in europe tho.

GD

Im also thinking that the short circuit on the fog light wiring may have something to do with the apparent re-wiring of the head light switch. Like someone GD has said.... the fog light could be intergrated into the existing lights. Just an idea..

Dave