Ultimate Subaru Message Board

damn T.O.D. need help!!!

ok i reseal the entire motor. new oil pump. did the sea foam deal about two months ago. which made the ticking worse.

so i resealed and added a new oil pump and water pump and rad themostat,hoses and all that good stuff.

but the tick is still there. the funny thing is that it comes and goes hot or cold. for instance. cold start up no tick then after about 2or 3 minutes. it will tick till it is warmed up. but when i am on the road to work i can hear one start ticking and then another. till seems like they are all ticking then it goes away. and it also ticks after i go in to get a bite to eat say for an hour and as soon as i start it ticks but goes away quickly. i am at a lose for words and idea at this moment.

i have good oil pressure new aftermakert gauge. along with all the other stuff i mentioned. oh by the way she has 320,457 on the clock.

should i replace pcv valve and hoses i noticed that those hoses are hard as a rock. and i replaced the pcv valve. but not the hoses. and i picked up the fitting for pcv valve so i dont have the small hose need to put that on as well. i did notice some build up in the hoses. any help would be great.

and yes before you ask i did do a search but was able to find the info i am looking for, thank you for any help you can give :burnout:

it might be the HVLAs making noise. my wagon has been making noise because its been sitting a while and its got 5w30 in the crankcase. takes a while for the noise to go away. i think theres a company called mitzpah engineering that sells rebuilt hvlas.

have any seals been replaced - like headgaskets, cam carrier o-rings, or is all of that original? any oil leaks? if the cam tower o-rings are shot, you might be loosing volume there that the HLA's need. they are $2.19 each from the subaru dealer, you'll need one for each side. you can look at the bottom corners of the cam towers for leakage, but you won't be able to spot any internal leaks. there are metal reinforced o-rings, Subaru part only. http://www.thepartsbin.com is the only store/company i've seen carry them other than subaru.

the most desirable next step is to replace or rebuild your HLA's. i'd replace them, they're a pain to rebuild, not worth the few dollars you can buy them for for mitzpah engineering or whatever that place is called, i always spell it wrong.

the long term fix that might alleviate some or all of the noise is to do frequent oil changes. that will take a very long time and might not help.

the short term fix is to use ATF in with the engine oil. i typically don't advocate adding anything to the crankcase except engine oil, so i don't recommend this, but it does work. start with one quart ATF and the rest oil. run it for awhile. if that doesn't help, try 2 quarts ATF and the rest oil. run that for 100 miles, getting the car up to operating temperature and drain. repeat if necessary. this is a quick fix to avoid doing work that you may not be capable of or desire doing.

ive got 10w30 and the noise will come in and out. i bought my car with a very audible tak noise broken timing belts and a bad fuel pump and ran seafoam through it. its better than it was but now it seams that every time i go around the block the odometer gains like 4 miles

...that's the problem. Easy on, easy off again. Not the best design.:-\ Wayne

Well... I Agree.

But Isn´t for the EA82´s Hydro Lifters, "Usual" to make Some Noise, Sometimes?

I think that if it Goes, Maybe they´re Just Wear but Still work Fine, Remember that there are other Engine Parts Involved in the Tickin´ Sound, Not only the Lifters.

Which Kind of Oil are Usin´ that Engine?