Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric Fan For Ea82????

howlemup

I just installed a SJR 6 inch lift on my 87 spfi wagon and have come to the realization that I need an electric fan. Question is, wich one do I need? Anybody know what the CFM on a stock cluch fan for this car is? And what CFM is to much for the subie, I dont want to run cold all the time but I do want better cooling than stock. All Info is appreciated, any suggestions about which electric fan to use would be helpful. Thanks

On my EA81 I had a dual row radiator and 1 standard electric fan with no clutch fan. It only ever over heated a bit when the cap went bad. So, a stock EA81 fan might be a good start. I think it should fit in fine too.

I'm guessing you don't have AC and that's why you don't have an electric fan. You could do something like I done with the AC front mount fans from a different car bolted to the front of your radiator.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej22swap_mazda_airconfan_stock.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej22swap_mazda_airconfan_fitted.jpg

I just installed a SJR 6 inch lift on my 87 spfi wagon and have come to the realization that I need an electric fan. Question is, wich one do I need? Anybody know what the CFM on a stock cluch fan for this car is? And what CFM is to much for the subie, I dont want to run cold all the time but I do want better cooling than stock. All Info is appreciated, any suggestions about which electric fan to use would be helpful. Thanks

Theres no fan at all on your rad now? All EA's had a stock electric fan on the passenger side. There were some EA81 models and a very few EA82's that had a secondary accesory fan instead of a clutch fan. Someone might have one or you might find one in a wrecking yard.

I have A/C so I have the stock electric fan but im not convinced that that alone will keep the engine cool, I do have a parts car with another A/C electric fan, should I just run both of these fans? Has anyone done this and how did it work? Thanks Pat

It may not fit. Even with the clutch fan removed there might not be enough room between the waterpump and rad to fit the fan. Thats why you need the accessory fan, its alot thinner.

If you have the short shaft waterpump there might be enough clearence, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

On my mates 88 wagon (australia, so might be different) the AC fan is only connected to the AC unit and will only come up when the AC is on. He wired it up to always run, but without the clutch fan with a single row radiator it over heats a little. I suggest get a double row radiator and a proper relay circuit for the single fan and it should cool enough. I never had a problem with my EA81 with that setup.

I have two 10" aftermarket fans on each of my lifted Subbies. One is an EA81 and the other is an EA 82. Both are on factory thermal switches and cool just fine. Now if I could get my horizantal mount job done and see how that set up works:banana:

EA82s only had a clutch fan if it had A/C. maybe backwards from EA81. So if your EA82 did not have A/C, it will not have a clutch fan, unless it is added. Therefore I would say the tne factory electric fan is fine, unless you are actually running you're A/C