Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to lift or not to lift, that is the question

northguy

Got a stock 83 Brat. Bought a set of 14" pugs to put on it come spring. Question now is: can I run a 14" tire on the Brat without lifting it? If so, what size can I get away with? If not, what size tire may be optimal for a 3"lift (Ozzified) without completely bogging down the motor/ modifying the wheel wells? Until my brat gets rustladen, I plan to use it as a daily commuter. In a couple of years (Alaskan winters are tough on vehicles), I will look at making a mudder out of it.

Northguy, I run 195-75-14 Cooper Discovers on my 87 Brat. it has a 1-inch body lift, had to trim some of the inside edge of the mud flaps and tap a small piece of the front fender lip in. The tires have not touched any part since. With no lift I would say a 185-75-14 or 195-70-14 is the best you will get to work without some scrapping when turning and hitting holes or bumps. Your tire choices are limited to all seasons at those sizes also. Glenn Taylor

Hey Matt, maybe we could lift ours at the same time this spring.

:brow:

As for tires, if you are running the same ones all year, DON'T go with the BF Goodrich A/T's for driving up here. My dad put some on his truck this year, and he says they are really bad on ice.

And I did get four center caps for you. BUT three are ea82 generation, painted with spray-on "chrome-like" finish since the original finish was all scratched and faded, and the other is an ea81 generation cap in pristine condition. If matching is important, I would recommend putting the caps on the rear, and cleaning and painting the front hubs and putting on new castle nuts. If you want them, you can either pick them up, or I can drop them off on my way out of town on the 14th.