Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Demolition Derby subaru????

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the only thing about doing 0-60 is ok the road has to be flat but also you have to have the pedel to the floor!! And do you really want to do that with a older vehicle:eek: Yeah i'd say your probely right about the time tho!! I mean for a AT 3spd Loyale wagon that way's 3665lbs and has aprx 90hp it will most likely be 10-11 sec's!! So it's cool!

I almost never accelerate any way OTHER than "pedal to the metal." (Carpet in my case, its bunched up a little down there.)

Call it a legacy of the fact that I drove a 280Z for five years before sitting down in the econobox.. or you could chalk it up to one of the best things my little brother ever said (about a honda, but it holds true across the board)

Japanese engines LOVE banging off the rev limiter....
But I NORMALLY rev the engine up to 5K or higher in first. Its the only way to make this little thing get out of its own way.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish i lived in Austraila or the Borneo Rainforest!!! Or any rainforest for that fact!! Wisconsin suck's it's allmost all farm land and if yoyu go up north it's all wood's, Like loging type!!!

My passion is Subaru's and Rainforest's!!!!!

Yeah i know that felling too!:( Now don't get me wrong about Wisconsin, I know there's Millwaukee and other city's but there's no Rainforests!!!

I like in the city of Waukesha and it's like most small citys ya know!! Almost every where you go there's going to be salt tho! That's why i think i'd be good in Aussie! There's only dirt from vast planes to Humid lush Rainforests!!:) IDK i guess i should be happy where i live, Right?

IDK to me it's good to open it out, But to a limit!! I mean you love you Subaru's right? So why hurt them!:mad:

It isnt hurting anything. Its revving freely up into the range of operation they were designed for.

My mom had an 87 E150 van that never had any troubles.. until we moved 1/2 mile from the place she worked. NEver got the car hot, so it never really brunt things off that it should have, the thing was immediately a bear to get thru emissions, and soon enough the headgaskets blew.

One of my brothers had an 82 280ZX. He drove that thing balls to the wall 110% of the time, NEVER shifted before 6K. My old man said at one point, shortly after he got the car, that it wasnt gonna last another 20K. 180K later, the car was scrapped after running alot of local club autocrosses, being used as his "pickup truck" to tow his boat for some time, and about ten years of this treatment.

Our good friend snapped up the motor in a heartbeat, because it was "the best running Z engine any of us had ever seen, bar none" and "us" was at that point, about 10 individuals from 3 different families/groups...

I adopted the same policy as my brother in my 280Z when I got it, and an estimated 80K later (on an engine of unknown history, probably 120K+++ though) that thing was running smooth as could be, too. My subaru, when I determined it had a blown headgasket, was testing HIGHER than FSM spec for compression on all but one cylinder.. the "bad" cylinder on my motor had 150PSI!!!! I have been driving it like I stole it for 40K miles, and it had a total of 144K on the clock at the time I tested it...

I will stand by that statement for a LONG Time: Japanese engines, LOVE banging off the rev limiter.

I guess, I agree with getting the RPM's up but not redlining it!

My dads 52yo co-boss drive's his 2001 Kia rio 1.8 3-4spd like that all the time and it's such a pile!!! There was one day, I was rideing with him and he wanted to get on HY94 so he push's that car to over red line at 6000rpm then the car shift's becauser it's AT and that thing is so slow!:lol: My Loyale has more getup and go! And more torqe!! But i guess there's difrence between Koreon and Japan auto's!!! Kia's are a joke!:lol:

with the original engine the EA81 or EA82 wagons you have to rev the ever living hell out of the thing to move.With a EJ22 in an EA82 wagon I can gentle press the gas to 3K then shift.(very slight pressure).With the EJ22 what is the point of flooring it?In FWD up till about 4th gear and 25 mph if I suddenly decide I want to punch the gas I have wheelspin.Period.That and applying full EJ power is a very good way to get tickets.A while back I was going 25 in rwd(broke a front axle) I was also in thrid.I punched it.I had a little bit of wheelspin then before I knew It I was at 75 like it was nothing!in about a city block it went from 25-75...This is with an EA82 WAGON!that was on a road outside of lewiston city limits BTW.

I guess, I agree with getting the RPM's up but not redlining it!.....

You know, Redline doesnt always mean that the engine will tear apart if you go above it, It can also mean where the powerband drops considerably. but on these older cars, going too much above redline (Ex 1000rpm) can be hazardous!!! valve float is a concern.

Remember that were talking about the Japanese who thought up these things, Nothing is without a purpose on these cars!!! and they thought of everything! I take my car above redline occasionally, but evein if Im trying to go fast like say an on-ramp, Its not efficient for me to go above redline because my engine makes very little power even at 6000 its noticably weaker than at 5500! oh FYI my car when the turbo was maybe pushing(if it was at all) .3 bar its top speed was 82 MPH, PEDAL TO THE METAL... I sure hope this thing can do better once it gets back to gether!!!

Oh and its not good to baby your engine! they will build up with crap! I remember when merkatroid and I were in his parents old Merc, (they are perfect drivers have never speeded) He Floored it to get by a semi and 2 huge clouds of soot shot out of the rear pipe, and then it got up and went!!! so Within reason, Give her hell!

All i'm saying is why red line it!!

To re iterate, we red line it regularly because we find excellent, excellent results for longevity and reliability when we do so. Maybe we don't need to go all the way to 6500.. maybe 5200 RPMs is enough for the same effect.. Maybe my beard is made of green spinach....

once again, black and white: I regularly rev above six grand in any vehicle I drive (as long as everything else is kosher) and have had nothing but positive results. I am not saying it hasn't given me a probem, I am crediting it with helping my engine run in top notch shape.

If the point was that these actions hadn't given me any problems, then fine, why run it all the way up. But I am not saying that.

I am saying that it is good for the motor.

And I am ignoring this thread from here out.

Maybe my beard is made of green spinach.....

What the heck..... oh I get it a figure of speech.... hmmm.....

And I am ignoring this thread from here out.
I know you will look at it.. COME ON... you know you want to reply to my post...... what if I told you that I magically fixed all the rust on your car... I know you want to look..... come on now... I am trying really hard now... and This is retarded I hope I never do this again..... and my car gets 115 hp@something somethingRPM FTW!!!!!

i think the car would be good for it structurally in the body. the motor wouldnt mind the rpms but if it has old timing belts or an old radiator it would get hot.

the trailing arms bend easy but a bent car will still go. i would say the front suspension would still function so long as the ball joints stay intact.

I dog the crap out of just about everything I get in. Whenever I return mom's car she;s always talking about how much better it runs and how it gets better mileage for a while. Its just an autobahn tune-up, lol

i drove my moms volvo across country flogging the living crap out of it and my dad and mom commented on how much better it ran, so i believe in the itialian tune up