Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Looks good ... :)

P.S. - Don't forget to check the fuel / vent lines to the tank, as PO may have installed them incorrectly - from memory he had problems with venting / back Pressure ... :huh:

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

NFI what PO did for a fuel system, would have to ask him why - if as suggested may have blocked the vent altogether ... :confused:

I will have to search back through this thread to see if I can find a reference ... :ph34r: 

I think this is it + look at immediate previous posts : http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/77261-documented-the-1970-ff-1-project-car/page-42?do=findComment&comment=1003965

After re-reading that lot - I suspect that it may need a vent line run from tank through second 'Evap' Can onto 'Carby' somehow in order to draw off fumes / release pressure  ... :huh:

Who hoo ... :popcorn: ... Can't wait - you must do a video of it running with 'sound' on ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

She's ALIVE!!!!

Bit of a struggle and scratching of heads  - but it was finally concluded that the EA81 distributor that was in the car was no good.

We dug the OE distributor out of the parts bins, chopped off the tail end of it (OE dist was essentially too long, meant for a different block) and the rest is history!  :D

No exhaust yet - thus the BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP sounding FF but good news is she settled right down and idled all on her own!

More video to come, it was after 8pm on a Sunday evening and I'm sure the neighbors were none too pleased as it was  :rolleyes:

WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

• Like 3

l like the test drive ... :)

So what still has to be done for a 'tore' down ?

P.S. - a good tuned 'sport' exhaust should give it a bit more HP & smoother running + still give that 'Burble' Subie sound ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

Exhaust - I'm going to have one fully custom made.

About the issues....

Currently.... there is a leak in the brake lines. There is a leak (very very very small puncture from shipping it seems) in the radiator. There is a leak in one of the valve covers. 

Steering column tore off one of the grounds in last nights driving adventure... have to re-work that.

Want to drain all of the fluids, check for coolant in the oil, check for metal shavings, etc. Make any adjustments needed

Mend/inspect that one leaky valve cover 

Send the radiator off for repair. 

Then hopefully reassemble her for good.

Hopefully.  :)

Good news is there was NO SMOKE out of the exhaust and she was fully up to temp. before driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Interior got re-did  :P

I'm getting there anyway. Still much to do.

rear shelf, rebuilt out of what was literally pieces.  Front door cards, totally re-done as i just could not salvage them.

Rear door cards are still OE - did manage to piece those back into place.

more photos soon but here's a taste!!

rear shelf

1947894_10152112314579934_248674427_n.jp

There is no rear upper seat. PO tossed it. i do have the bottom portion and fully intend to get it back into the car and construct a new upper portion

For now - I've had the seat back rebuilt and re-covered!

10014229_10152112314574934_953982775_o.j

10014229_10152112314569934_955667136_o.jpg

Front door panels. I tried. I had them re-installed on the door panels but they just could not be saved. Not enough material there to make it work.

I had them totally rebuilt from scratch.

1925317_10152112328829934_19365515_n.jpg

1617573_10152112328824934_2062215156_o.j

Craftsman: L&R Custom Upholstery - Leif Rankin

Super fast turnaround. Super reasonable pricing and... well... just LOOK!! :)

Another little step. but we are making progress.

-jamie

Edited by Subie Gal
  • Like 2

Looking really good! Looks like you're really getting close to the light at the end of the long tunnel this car has been in!

Out of curiosity, Jamie, were you able to salvage the very fragile plastic interior door handle/pulls? 

yup! I found them in a bag Steve had labeled "Interior door".....

I cleaned them gently back to new. damn these things are sketchy. (fragile)

uh!!! a real bitch to install!  took forever to get the passenger side door card and pull installed.

next up is the driver side. (I'm scared.....)

many curse words.

more than one beer.

but dammit one side is done!! :)

(installation is totally blind... and a real buggar!)    :D  :P

Edited by Subie Gal

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good ... :)

P.S. - I'm wondering if you are putting the 'bumpers' back on ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

I'd love to put the bumpers on but the mounting points were intentionally filled and removed from the car during the body work.

I've got to come up with something non OE and a bit different.

Will require some thinking.... it's on the laundry list of issues yet to be resolved  :D

• 1 month later...

Fujiko with her buddy Boo-Boo.

882378_10152220703684934_829394774166451

Small update as not much progress has been made lately. Some new issues have sprung up - won't be super simple to resolve.

Transmission is non OE - all bits and pieces of various models/year Subaru.

Something the previous owner was working on in order to obtain taller/different gearing.

Slanting of the shift throw itself has been fixed (it was so slanted to the Right that you could not shift the vehicle with the passenger seat in place)

And now that the shifter is functioning, I have learned that we have no reverse. :(

All other gears are smooth, but this car will not go into R at all. Completely locked out.

This won't be fun as I don't know much at all about the inner workings of the trans. Might be time for an expert to take a look.

Need to drop the trans from the car first (not done that yet)

Decided to order new re-popped vintage style 3 point seat belts for the car then realized the mounting points for the belts have been removed.

Must have been filled in when the body work was completed.

What to do? Re-tap? somehow? Could be scary if this is not done correctly.

Still haven't figured out what to do for front/rear bumpers as the OE mounting points and brackets have been eliminated from the car.

Hate to buy something that "might work" only to learn there's now way to mount it to the car.

Need to get in and get an exhaust made but I'm very picky about whom it will be that will do this work.

Good shops are always booked and that's making this part of the journey a bit difficult.

Nobody said this would be easy. But it sure is fun :)

Edited by Subie Gal
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Managed a little bit of progress to share :)

Swapped the wheel studs (front) over to longer (WRX) modern wheel studs.

OE studs were far too short for the wheel and spacer application currently on the car.

I do love those wheels so stay they must!

Looks good, 10x safer, now we can put the pedal down!! :D

10373986_10152284383314934_184281421371296197_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...