Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strut BOTTOM lift? (as opposed to strut TOP lift)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 ChuckPT

ChuckPT

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Steamboat Co

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

I don't know what kind of market there is for lifting WRXs but if you want a R&D project, I may be willing to offer my car as a test subject... It has been totaled (just a bunch of body damage) and is currently sitting in a garage awaiting my next move.

#27 punx2400

punx2400

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Maltby, WA.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

I see this thread died circa Obama's inauguration. That's enough time for SJR Scott or SOMEONE to have come up with something by now.  Amirite?

You guys were on the right path, but it looks like maybe it was a dead end??

I'm trying to run 235/75r15's on my 95 brighton wagon with forester struts and a set of 19 mil 5x100 to 5x5 adapters and some grabber AT2's on 7" American Racing AR172 -6 offset wheels.  If I have paid attention, our stock offset is +53.  With this setup, it goes to -25, which is doable as far as fender clearance and what I believe to be an acceptable low offset.  The problem however lies in the spring perch.  If you go to any tire size/offset comparison site, it'll tell you that the tallest and widest tire you can run before hitting the spring perch *with my calculations* is a 215/75r15.  

I'm not comfortable running more than an inch of wheel spacers, nor a crazy offset wheel, because I despise doing wheel bearings.  

Any new developments for strut bottom lifting?

Edited by punx2400, 18 August 2017 - 10:32 PM.

#28 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,179 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

If you go to any tire size/offset comparison site, it'll tell you that the tallest and widest tire you can run before hitting the spring perch *with my calculations* is a 215/75r15.  

I'm not comfortable running more than an inch of wheel spacers, nor a crazy offset wheel, because I despise doing wheel bearings.  

Any new developments for bottom strut lifting?

I know you can fit 235/75/15 on 96-99 Outback struts that was with stock forester steelies

I saw an Anderson Fab kit on a car recently and it was a strut bottom lift....required 1" wheel spacers.

#29 punx2400

punx2400

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Maltby, WA.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:40 PM

I just checked em out.  Trailing arm spacers, a pitch stop, and full custom.  Does full custom offer strut bottom spacers or what?

#30 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 4,025 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

235/75-15 will fit in stock forester struts, I'm developing a bottom strut extension , I've built the prototype

#31 ferp420

ferp420

im not a typer

• Members
  • 913 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Wouldent it be easyer to use longer struts i would think it would be stronger too

#32 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,179 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

Wouldent it be easyer to use longer struts i would think it would be stronger too

yes it would be but they don;t exist.........

or nobodies done the legwork to find what they would fit from.

So yeah........Somebody get on that.

#33 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

I cut the bottom brackets off an old set and welded them on so the bottom hole of the original lined up with the top hole of the brackets, just for extra beef and peace of mind. Gave me a couple inches.

You have to be VERY, VERY careful welding on struts though!!! **Explosion hazard** 

I wrapped mine with a wet rag next to the bottom and then propped a hose up to run water constantly on the upper part of the strut cylinder. Weld small sections at a time and wait awhile in between.

#34 #diyMATT

#diyMATT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Columbus Ohio

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

Why will a strut explode if you weld it?

#35 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,718 posts
  • Saginaw, MN

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

Why will a strut explode if you weld it?

Strut is a sealed, pressurized, fluid-filled container. Welding produces a lot of heat....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users