Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb on mpfi intake?

so im doing the dual port mpfi intake on my ea82t minus the t, and i have a 2b weber. i cant decide whether to go with a megasquirt mpfi or put the weber on the manifold. before anyone :Flame: :Flame: me, if i did the carb, i could have the thing running i like 2 days. if i mpfi, it has to wait until i can buy the ms controller and harness and sensors and such. im sure the ms would be way better than carb for power and mileage and runability. just want some opinions, info, etc...

jub

OH WOW LOOK TOTO! an opportunity for me to talk bad about carbs. i hate them. they are mostly ignored for a reason.

if need outweighs pitifully antiquated technology, there's no point in strapping yourself or putting yourself in a corner either if you have another option. so you're going to be running a Turbo block (low compression pistons) without a turbo? maybe stick with the carb then, is it worth the effort for MS to you? what are your plans with this thing?

i haven't looked in a while but when i did i didn't see enough reliable MS soob projects to consider doing it myself. i've read a ton of MS stuff and thought about doing it in the past but just didn't see the results i was looking for. my lack of electrical wizardry (though higher than my carb wizardry) makes me reluctant to try MS just for kicks.

depends mostly on available resources...so what's your tool and equipment list, available extra vehicles, married w/kids?, work schedule, weekly schedule, tax returns and current salary?

well, first its actually a high compression block from a carbed parts car, ive done a bit of port smoothing, im gonna get torque cams form delta. it will be mostly off road, some street time. the reason i want the carb is for simplicity and less to try to fix if it breaks on me in the woods. also i like the super clean engine bay with very little accessories. plus it will be quite a while till i can get a ms system, if i do. i might just run the carb until i can get a ms, then redo it. i have a spare vehicle. i think mostly i want to see what i would get with a weber on a dual port high compression engine. no turbo equals less heat, which from reading on here seems to be the #1 killer of ea82s. it seems that everyone whos done webers has been mostly satisfied with performace and reliablity. i dont know. either way, i really enjoy "tinkering" with this car. its been my project for like 2 yrs. ive done so much to it already just for kicks. like cutting it in half and cutting off the top and cutting off the back and putting in a cage and taking out the dash and all the interior and building new bumpers and... etc:headbang:

i do agree that carbs are ancient technology, but they are severely simple and easy to do.

i would just use the stock computer and mpfi system, but i already lost the computer and harnesses and ALL the crap (sensors and switches and stuff) in the engine compartment.

wow long post.

jub

i think mostly i want to see what i would get with a weber on a dual port high compression engine.

:headbang:

i do agree that carbs are ancient technology, but they are severely simple and easy to do.

jub

Hey,

Weber. dual port, high compression. What are you waiting for?:) There's studs involved, lots of them.

Huh? "ancient technology....severely simple". Simple? Think Barry Grant...all the others. so on and so forth.

Sincerely,

Doug

i meant simple from where i am starting from as compared to doing mpfi with megasquirt. as for what i am waiting for, a guy i know to fill all the holes in my manifold for me and make me a adapter plate.

has anyone done a carb on a dual port engine? i think its gonna rule..

jub

i meant simple from where i am starting from as compared to doing mpfi with megasquirt. as for what i am waiting for, a guy i know to fill all the holes in my manifold for me and make me a adapter plate.

jub

I'm waiting for Scott to send me a duel port manifold that he is machining to accept a Weber 2bbl progressive carb for my wifes EA82 motor thats in her Trike.

I recently purchased a long block rebuilt motor that had the duel port heads. I swapped them out for single port heads to make my single port setup work on my new Trike. Had the new duel port heads left over along with a pair of high lift cams from the new motor.

Even though my wifes motor runs great, I know the heads are cracked in the water jackets. I have pretty well fixed the coolant leaks with stop leak, but I figured if I could get a carb to work on these new heads, I would get those cracked heads off and probably wind up with a few extra ponies out of it to boot.

I will be sure to let the board know how well this works out. If it works out as good as I expect it too, Scott just might get a lot of business making those duel port manifolds except a Carb.

Bob

jub

Hi,

I've ran an EA-82 with dual port heads, Turbo intake...and no carb, no injectors, just an open hole. Pour fuel down the hole and fire it up. Does that count? :)

Doug

• 6 months later...

So seven months later you get the carb on? heh.. Looks good though, I like this build. I would tend more towards the MS/EFI school, but its hard to knock a weber as long as one is enough for the motor.

Keep us posted! hopefully you'll get her started soon.

• 4 years later...