Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

gauge mounting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:27 AM

My friend gave me his old boost gauge and I am trying to figure out where and how I am going to mount it. I would like to get an A-pillar gauge mount, but I can't find one that would fit my car. Does anybody know where I can find an A-pillar gauge mount that will fit our late 80s sedans/wagons/coupes? Also like to see pics of your mounted gauges (boost, air/fuel, etc) to get ideas. Thanks in advance.

#2 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:41 AM

I think the closest to a sube style that your going to get is to order one for an 80s jap car. Ive heard the gen 2 Honda CRX is a close match... I just mounted my gauges in the radio box , Very crude for now, but I plan to use a heavier gauge aluminum for the version three panel. By the way, if your looking for a gauge pod I have a few for sale If your interested...

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,852 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:00 AM

also the A-pillar guage pod for a Impreza I think an older body style. Hondasucks had one in his 87 turbowagon. It fits BUT at the very bottom, there's a lip that sticks out about an inch. Could be modifyed to fit right but we put it in because it was needed ASAP:D

#4 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 30 December 2003 - 07:38 AM

I have the CRX duel pod mount in both my turbo wagons, other gauge is my air/fuel ratio.
I have an 87 CRX, took some measurements and thought it would fit.
I had them mounted down below the radio where my fuel pressure, trans temp and ammeter is now, but it's much easier to see on the A pillar.
I got mine from Summit Racing, will supply part number if you like

Posted Image
I kinda like knowing whats going on under the bonnet and around me

#5 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 30 December 2003 - 07:59 AM

"727 coming outta the sky,"

Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to do that.

I'll go to my corner, now.

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,325 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 December 2003 - 12:26 PM

i have these mounted so that they fit between the inside of tach and speedo from the driver's perspecyive
Posted Image

although this pic is not the clearest example, one of those triple gauges will fit on top of the steering culumn in ea82. if you look hard enoughyou will see several places to where switches are mountedPosted Image

#7 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:44 PM

Wow, great pics. Thanks for all the feedback. I have always liked the A-Pillar gauge mounts. Skip, if it is not too much trouble can I get the part number for the CRX A-Pillar gauge mount. Thanks a bunch!

#8 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:22 AM

If you don't want to try to make a CRX pod fit, or just want to do something sweet and custom, making a gauge pod is easy enough. All you need is the plastic trim that goes on the A-pillar, some MDF, and some fiberglass resin and mat.

Just make some rings that the gauges can mount to, attach them to the a-pillar (dowels would work, or L-brackets), attach the fiberglass mat, and resin. Sand it all down pretty, paint with some textured paint or cover it in carpet, or whatever, and blam, totally custom and fits perfectly.

#9 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:27 PM

Marck, the CRX dual pod is made by AutoMeter and is part number 20400 fitts 88-89 CRX. No modifications are necessary, it fits the contor of the A pillar and needs only double back tape or one screw for mounting.
Samo's idea is fine if you are into laying up fiberglass and gelcoating,
probably be cheaper to.
HTH

#10 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 23 May 2004 - 02:09 AM

Skip, if you're around, could you put up a little closer up pic of your gauge pod?

Thanks

#11 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 23 May 2004 - 04:34 PM

I don't think Skip checks the board anymore, sadly enough. so you might have to email him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users