Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Red Sedan Build , solid rear axle

Scott in Bellingham

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its similar to a "wishbone" suspension like on the ole fords model Ts and As , Ive never seen this setup it just made sense to me, with that back on a pivot I will probably run some airshocks to adjust how stiff I want it

+1 to the Air Shocks, I really like that pivot idea and it does make sense.

Now on that pivot piece that comes off the upper framing, whats gonna go on the bottom of that, is it just gonna be a domed piece of solid metal and then that cross bar/brace will ride on it, or are you gonna have some type of rubber bumper to cushion it?

Not really a big concern at the moment, but I'm just wondering :)

Now on that pivot piece that comes off the upper framing, whats gonna go on the bottom of that, is it just gonna be a domed piece of solid metal and then that cross bar/brace will ride on it, or are you gonna have some type of rubber bumper to cushion it?

thats a transverse (lateral) leaf spring, like this front one on a Model T Ford 1908 design :banana: Hee Hee

leaf.jpg

One of those trailer balls will be tough. :)

A grease fitting in just the right spot to keep it lubed and you'll have a pretty burly pivot point.

I like it.

And I think I've seen a rock crawler with a similar setup, but it's not very common.

A bit outside the box is good.

Very good indeed. :)

There is a guy on pirate4x4.com that got ridden hard cause he use the trailer ball and hitch set up for this exact application. From what I remember it worked well, people just gave him a hard time......I SAY DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can take it, Im used to others giving me a hard time and telling me how they would do it different, Ive been called all sorts of things

Oh oh oh! I see now, thats a damn good idea. Looks easy enough aswell.

So is this gonna be a rig that you can drive to a meet, or will it need to be trailer-ed in? Guessing from everything I've seen on this build, it won't be driven to the meet. Anyway, looking forward to see this rigged up on the sedan :grin:

Cool, im guessing that one or both ends of the leaf spring will have a shackel? Otherwise it wont flex if its fixed in place right? It would make for a very ridged ride. Also you are going to HAVE TO rebuild the front a-arms to allow more travel. That is one cool setup. I want a 720 fron diff setup in the front and rear of the sedamn