Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-22 swap, Project Loyale

cmiller

Thanks guys! Its a fun project for sure and a great learning experience. I've got some more plans for it this year and will post it up here so stay tuned.

picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=3547

Lifting a leg at Brown's Camp in the TSF

I really love your car! what roof rack system are you using?

I really love your car! what roof rack system are you using?

Its all Yakima stuff: Load Warrior Basket with extension, Axe and Shovel Mounts, Light mounts, Locking Spare tire mount, and Hi-Lift mount. Great stuff from a NW based company.

Its all Yakima stuff: Load Warrior Basket with extension, Axe and Shovel Mounts, Light mounts, Locking Spare tire mount, and Hi-Lift mount. Great stuff from a NW based company.

not the part that goes on the roof! sorry. i got a load warrier!

Its been a couple of weeks now with the 90 amp alternator swap done. I'm so glad I did that. On some of these cold rainy days with the defrost, heater, headlights, fogs, stereo, and dual battery set up, the 90 amps keeps up the charge no problem.

I've swapped out my halogen fog lights to a set of Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED's: http://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/131.htm WOW these things are bright! much more than the headlights on the high beams with only an amp draw of 1.9! F28023479.jpg

Also to help lighten the amp load I swapped out all of the vehicle lights both interior and exterior with LED's except for the headlights. All of the replaced lights are much brighter, especially the tail lights/brake lights, which I think is a much safer upgrade to have.

I also swapped out the factory front and rear mud guards for some big urethane ones for two reasons: better coverage and durability, and the fronts would rub at full steering lock. I just got a big black sheet of the stuff from Primitive Racing and cut out what I needed to fit, made up some brackets out of aluminum and bolted right up. You can see them kind of in the trail shot a few posts up. They are more flexible and I lengthened them to compensate for the lift so the person behind me gets less spray from me.

Edited by cmiller

Its been a couple of weeks now with the 90 amp alternator swap done. I'm so glad I did that. On some of these cold rainy days with the defrost, heater, headlights, fogs, stereo, and dual battery set up, the 90 amps keeps up the charge no problem.

I've swapped out my halogen fog lights to a set of Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED's: http://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/131.htm WOW these things are bright! much more than the headlights on the high beams with only an amp draw of 1.9! F28023479.jpg

Also to help lighten the amp load I swapped out all of the vehicle lights both interior and exterior with LED's except for the headlights. All of the replaced lights are much brighter, especially the tail lights/brake lights, which I think is a much safer upgrade to have.

I also swapped out the factory front and rear mud guards for some big urethane ones for two reasons: better coverage and durability, and the fronts would rub at full steering lock. I just got a big black sheet of the stuff from Primitive Racing and cut out what I needed to fit, made up some brackets out of aluminum and bolted right up. You can see them kind of in the trail shot a few posts up. They are more flexible and I lengthened them to compensate for the lift so the person behind me gets less spray from me.

I've installed those on boats. Then we took a pair and drove around with them at night to see how they do on the road. Those things are absolutely amazing! Too bad they're so damn expensive though :(

I've installed those on boats. Then we took a pair and drove around with them at night to see how they do on the road. Those things are absolutely amazing! Too bad they're so damn expensive though :(

Yeah they aren't cheap, but you sure can see when its dark and dumping rain out here in Oregon.

I just use hella 500's. We were comparing them to my 500's and they actually put out slightly less light. But they use so little power you could throw TONS of them on your car :)

I figure in about 3 years the price will be waaay down.

This last weekend I got the National Luna Dual Battery kit installed and began to wire up the custom switch panel for the accessories.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=3314

The switch panel is back lit green and hooked up to the dash dimmer so it lights up when the headlights turn on. The switches also have a green LED to indicate on. I got the panel from http://www.gaugeplates.com/index.php They will make anything you need and have lots of options for you. Very well made and quick turnaround!

WOW!! that switch panel is badass!! I am in big trouble, I just spent 25 minutes looking at the site and projects are already coming together in my head...:headbang:

I just picked up a load warrior for my wagon, After seeing the pictures of your wagon I might have to pick up the extension for it. thinking of adding some brake lights and maybe some Hella 500's.

Bump for Clean/Cool wagon.

Ben

Edited by tractor pole
spelling...

• 3 weeks later...

Researching the idea of modifying an ARB front deluxe bull bar from a Sidekick or something close in width to the Loyale front end. Its hard to find the front end width of many vehicles. Google keeps on giving me the overall width from the fender flares...grrrr. It would be nice to just have a few in front of me to measure off of. :brow:

23154380024_large.jpg

Its looking like an '84-'85 Toyota pickup might just fit the bill at 63" wide. Hmmm...

65809-md.jpg

Edited by cmiller

• 3 weeks later...

Might have a line on an old used TJM aluminum bull bar with a winch mount. Just need to check fitment and see. Finally got the Group N STI motor mounts in yesterday. Wow what a difference they make. Everything feels way more solid. The STI mounts are stiffer and make up for the crappy EA82 transmission mounts which new are terribly soft. They dropped right in with no problems. :banana:

IMG_8205.jpg?t=1336956614

Taken at Oregon Trail Rally 2012 Sunday at Summit stage spectator.

Edited by cmiller

Might have a line on an old used TJM aluminum bull bar with a winch mount. Just need to check fitment and see. Finally got the Group N STI motor mounts in yesterday. Wow what a difference they make. Everything feels way more solid. The STI mounts are stiffer and make up for the crappy EA82 transmission mounts which new are terribly soft. They dropped right in with no problems. :banana:

IMG_8205.jpg?t=1336956614

Taken at Oregon Trail Rally 2012 Sunday at Summit stage spectator.

More info on those mounts? Will they bolt in on the EA stuff still or is it just the EJ motor?

Wagon continues to look amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's an old topic but I did an ej22 swap in a brat a few years ago and never did get the original oil pressure gauge to work. I've heard the ea81 and ea82 senders are the same. How did the oil filter sandwich work out for you? Do you have any pics with the oil pressure sender installed?

I actually pulled off the sandwich and am working on bolting up the oil cooler that came on later EJ22's and re-working the oil pressure sender mounting so it will work together. Nothing yet, just need some free time to do it.

Right on. I've been thinking of running an oil cooler myself. I ordered a sandwich but I haven't found all of the adapters yet. I did find this,

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-Oil-Pressure-Relocation-Kit_p_314.html

it might be of some help in your application. Good luck. Post some pics when you finish. I would defiantly like to see how you install a cooler.

I actually pulled off the sandwich and am working on bolting up the oil cooler that came on later EJ22's and re-working the oil pressure sender mounting so it will work together. Nothing yet, just need some free time to do it.

any particular reason you pulled off the sandwich? I'm looking at "cheap" way to get my factory gauge to read correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
I got a sandwich like Chris's because I already have aftermarket gauges. Chris, what did you do for your temp gauge, again?

I did the in line resistor that Numchux recommended in his write up. So still using the EA gauge in the dash.

I'll be running that one as well as the aftermarket gauge. I'll probably hook the aftermarket one up in an adapter sleeve for the radiator hoses.

Not many people have reported anything on the Numchux pull down resistor. I was thinking of putting a 1000 ohm potentiometer in there so I can calibrate it.