Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP im stuck in Minneapolis, MN !

i have an 81 GL wagon and my right brake caliper leaked a little. guess its tired of that because now its sticking, causing the brakes to drag. its chewed up the pads and now im sitting a few thousand miles from home and no one can find my brake calipers! i can get pads and drive it but its just going to keep eating them. should i look in junk yards to find less trashed calipers or what?

-ben

passenger side is the one that is sticking.

my thought was that the leaking means the seal is broken which might cause the piston to jam against it somewhere. ill check and see if the pins are sticky too.

the E brake on both sides will stick if you pull it. they dont return when the E brake is released so if i use the E brake i have to manually return each caliper.

Hmm, thats a good thought. To me I think the piston should still be able to return somewhat/mostly even if the seal was jaming it. I mean if its sticking hard enough to chew up the pad(s) then thats alot of force. My dads '93 Ranger had the drivers side get stuck and you could feel it alot if you put the clutch in (No need to apply brakes) Hehe. BUt it got that stuck due to lack of grease. You could fry a steak on that wheel Wow!

-Tom

right. the piston should spin back in.

good luck finding anything 80-82 in the yards up there...

I have a pair that would work for you. they came off my red brat last fall....

are you hanging out there until you get it fixed? I can ship them up there priority mail....

i dont remember exactly how i got my pads in there when i did it but i know for a fact that i dont own any special tools :)

and yeah we are kinda stuck here for a few days till we get this dealt with. Napa claims they can order some rebuilt ones or whatever but given NO ONE else even pretends to be able to order them im going to bet Napa is going to have trouble actually getting them for me.

id totally have you send a set up but i dont have an address out here in the mid west, we are driving across the US from Oregon to NY and back.

I use a tool I made from a worn out hole saw and attached it to a drill motor. I just ground the teeth off and made tangs to fit the slots. Just don't kill the rubber, go slow. Ask me how I know.:eek: If you had your discs resurfaced to much that can be a cause. No pads, thin disc.......trouble. There is not a lot of throw in a brake caliper.

I'm sure you could make a tool out of what you got if you could get to a grinder, a socket, possibly a sturdy set of needle nose or vise grips but that would be a pita. The factory tool looks like this.... >-l but bigger obviously. Its rather obnoxious to use too but better than a set of plyers. Old brake fluid will absorb water too causing rust and binding the brake, so bleed that good. You might be able to free it up.

Edited by Yo'J

To bad its not a ea car. Numb is in that area and im sure he might of helped you if he could.

not quite, I'm a few hours north.

my parents live in the cities....but nobody home this week.

I don't know of anybody who might have something. Whereabouts in town are you at? I'll see if I can't find someone who would be willing to have them shipped to them.

80% of the braking happens up front, running with one would be pretty dangerous, especially on the freeway or highway. Not even sure if that would work since every time you hit the brakes, the loose caliper would travel unrestricted robbing the force from the other calipers the same as if you had a leak.

If he's in a town already, she should be able to have something shipped to a local post office which should hold it for pickup.

Edited by lostinthe202
ad info

Whats even worse is its the passenger side wheel "The Power wheel" So not having any braking on the side is 2 x as worse as just having one brake in front. Plus, then you have to worry about breaking the brake line since they are old. Also, whats keeping the piston from completly coming out? Nothing, so the moment you hit the brakes that piston is going to push all the way out and I just hope your not driving when it does..

Those are the bad ideas with this idea.

-Tom

i'd imagine theres a schucks/kreger/checker/o-riley part store up there:

part number 19494

for a 1981 subaru GL, unloaded caliper....basicly the hydralluic parts

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=A1C&MfrPartNumber=19494&PartType=5003&PTSet=A

pull the pins undo the hose, swap re attach everything, bleed a bit. working